my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!






Join Here




Now, for the Show N Tell for the week - - -


While first retiring in Arizona and living there for nearly 12 years, I developed a fetish for the Native American Folklore Symbol, the flute player. Commonly known as the Kokopelli.
    Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and feathers or antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music[citation needed].

    Among the Hopi, Kokopelli carries unborn children on his back and distributes them to women (for this reason, young girls often fear him). He often takes part in rituals relating to marriage, and Kokopelli himself is sometimes depicted with a consort, a woman called Kokopelmana by the Hohokam and Hopi.
    Courtesy of Wikipedia. You can read much much more if you so desire, here.


Each time I would see a silver work of art that had the Kokopelli I would have to stop and gander and ogle them. So many different styles, so many different designs...and so so expensive when you find them in tourist traps like Tombstone or the gift shops in the cities around the southwest. But, there is an advantageous area in and around Tucson....Old Mexico! And sometimes you could get a good bargain on the Indian Reservation just a few minutes drive from the city --the T'hono Odham Reservation near the San Xavier Mission. Anyway, my fetish grew a bit and started to get out of hand when I'd buy identical items then have to send the duplicate purchases to Irene. I put a quick halt to shopping for more Kokopellis and was satisfied with my collection. But, around this area of Texas, not too many people are seen wearing any Native American items....it's mostly Cowboy/western and Mexican items---I will wear them occasionally, but not as often as I used to in Arizona. You can read more about my collection with a mouse-over on the pictures I've shared here........















~...end Show N Tell

[scroll below book review for commenting]


<><><>



I saw this advertised as a Lifetime Movie about a month ago, and it really piqued my interests since it was about a Down Syndrome baby. So, when we were at the book store one day, following the ad on TV...I bought it.

I was disappointed after the first few chapters. It turned out to be a bit of false advertising...yes, it was about a Down Syndrome child, but she wasn't the main character. In fact, there was hardly anything about what her life was like.

It turned out that it was more or less on the edges of a romance novel. Of which I don't like. But, then again, I found myself reading and turning the pages; all in hopes of perhaps soon it would lead me to the girl with Down's and what she was like! Sorely disappointed.

If you like all the romance novelists, and Lifetime movies on television, this book may be for you. The girl with Down Syndrome has a twin brother, and he was raised by the natural mother; the mother [wife] is told by her doctor husband that the twin girl was born dead. And of course, she grieves for many years afterwards only to find out in the decades that follow her stormy romances with other men...[ack!! this stuff isn't for me...] that her daughter IS alive!! But at the beginning, the Down's baby was taken away upon birth....

It just wasn't quite what I expected. But I did finish the book, so that tells you something. Of a 'five star rating', I'm giving it one and a half.


The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards

30 comments :

  1. Really cool stuff my friend, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni,

    I have always been interested in Native culture and love your collection. Michelle also collects Native American items and has quite a collection. One day I will have to post photos of her collection, which included a Royal Doulton called, "The Chief."

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anni, Beautiful jewelry. I'm sorry your book was a disappointment. I have done that before too. You just keep on turning those pages, just hoping it gets better....and it gets worse.

    Happy Friday, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED your S&T this week! One of my ideas is to do my silver turquoise and coral jewelry one week. I like how you displayed yours, it showed up great! Since we travel out West so much, I am very familiar with Kokopelli! I've even thought of collecting Kachinas but I need another collection like I need another hole in the head!

    Interesting review of the book. I've seen it at the bookstore for over a year and have thought of checking it out from the library. I may not bother now, I have a lot to read in my own bookcase still! I finished "Buffalo Calf Road Woman". I liked it! It was probably 3 and a half stars out of 5 for me!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that book on reserve at the library - at least i know what I am for now ... I thought it was more about DS too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found one of those in the mall parking lot a couple of years ago. Now I know what it's called!

    Cool jewelry.

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I see that jewelry around here ALL the time! And I don't have one piece of it. I haven't found one with enough BLING! Thanks for stopping by....see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dear Anni, Im back,
    Just love your Native collection. especially the watches..your book sounds very disappointing..
    Have a good weekend my friend..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Hootin Annie!!! I am from Phoenix, and I also loved Kokopelli. You know, on some freeways in Phoenix, there are emblems of him along viaduct walls.
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni,

    I saw in your comments on another blog that you had a book review, so came back to read it. I am so disappointed that more of it wasn't about the girl with Downs Syndrome. I would have been most interested in such a book, but like you, I am not into all the heavy romance stuff. I like a story with grit.

    Take care and enjoy your day. It was nice for me to have a reason to visit with you a second time today.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my sons' rooms was decorated around a kp pillow.
    Very appealing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - you have quite a collection there! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your jewelry display. Very nice pieces.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have an great collection of Native American jewelery. I like how you photographed it to show the details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's some very interesting culture info! Hilarious about young girls often fearing him. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sooo cool. I love the one that is outside and the statue one. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by! What a unique and varied collection you have gathered. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Regarding my angel ~ I cannot recall her exact price, but I know I purchased her for under $5. I just love those great deals...

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved seeing your collection. I was born and raised in AZ, and I too am found of the Kokopelli!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the yard art the best! Very good show and tell this week! I also like the change in your background!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a pair of earrings with this symbol. I like it. I bought mine in Tuscon.
    I read this book and enjoyed it more for the story not the romance. I didn't want to see the movie, though. I find they never measure up to the story in my head from the book.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great stuff, Anni! My husband and I visited Sedona for the first time this winter and loved it. I am part Native American and so have an interest in all things NA. My husband bought me a beautiful silver necklace there for Valentine's Day. And thank you for your visit to Mimi's Garden today. Have a great weekend!...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful jewelry, Anni. And it looks expensive no matter where it was bought.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are really interesting. I
    enjoyed the story and history.
    I have to say I don't think I own
    any Kokopelli jewelry. But now
    I have have to look at my silver
    jewelry closer for this motif.

    ReplyDelete
  24. there is something about that Kokopelli. I just love that little image.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a lovely collection. Thanks for sharing it. I have a friend who would love to live in Arizona someday. Until she is able to do that, she decided to decorate her bathroom in a southwestern theme, and she used some kokopellis in the decor.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. very interesting and sweet...happy hunting...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank for your story. I’m not from America and Native culture is something new for me.

    Ruuta

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen this figure and now I know what it is. Your items are very nice I especially like the garden figure. Thanks for sharing.
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I live in VA but fell in love with Kokopellis when I visited my sister in CO about 10 yrs ago. Now my family room is decorated Southwestern and the flute player is very well represented. I absolutely adore that little guy - I buy more and more each time I go out to visit my family.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed learning about the kokopellis.

    I watched that movie on TV, but haven't read the book. I thought the movie was rather sad. I prefer happy, upbeat movies for entertainment! We have enough "reality" in our lives, we need "fun" for entertainment! IMHO!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

.