my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds





Join Here

    December 18: Tails - A memorable gift


First off, if you know me, I love to joke, I love to do a little horseplay now and then, practical jokes are a given here and there. I'm considered ornery to the point I can get myself into a lot of trouble. But when it comes to being serious, I can do that too. And this is ONE very serious answer to this week's session for heads or tails. Well, it's important for me to say this right off, first hand. That the material things are NOT important to me. Sure, I have been known to boast about jewelry received, a new car one year, a computer this year [an early very much required gift for myself], clothes, games, dolls and such. And yes, they're all memorable. Why, I can pull out a pair of earrings from my jewelry case and tell you exactly what Christmas I got these and who gave them to me. Or my last gift from Santa which was a wedding doll nearly 50 years ago. [and I still have this doll, but I'll refrain from posting a photo of her because tho it was an important gift from Santa when I was a child, it's NOT the most memorable gift!!! I want to save the photo sharing this week for my one gift that I remember most; not only today but year in and year out....] But the best gift of all and quite THE MOST memorable are my parents, siblings, husband and children of my own. Yes, in that order. Because if it weren't for my parents producing the gift of life, I'd not have the other gifts without them. God and nature gave me the best gift in the world; two fabulous people I call mom and dad!!! To me, that is what counts in life. Material things come and go, but family is forever. And I tally this up at the very top of my most memorable gifts.






[my scanner is not hooked up to the new computer so I took a photo of my pencil sketch of my parents in their 'golden years', a very close likeness of them both. At this sketch, they were in their early 70s]





And since Heads Or Tails would fall on Christmas Day next week, I want to wish you ALL the best of Christmas Day if you celebrate...if not, well, I wish you a very happy week!! See you the week following!!! I do HOPE dearly that Heads or Tails continues in 2008!!!!


<><><>




"....It is required of every man, the ghost returned, that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death."

"A Christmas Carol"
~Charles Dickens

<><><>

Over the weekend hubby and I went to the Harbor Playhouse Musical version of the story..."A Christmas Carol". We had 4th row seats just beyond the orchestra pit and it was a super wonderful few hours to spend together. Of course, it's our favorite Christmas fiction. I love it...I love the movie versions of this, the book, plays...television specials. They're all good. Sad part is, just before the curtain rose on the first act, the announcer came on stage and reiterated that there is to be no videoing or taking of pictures. What did I say a while ago about me 'abiding by the rules'? Well, I had my digital with me in my hand, concealed, but I went out to the bathrooms and adjusted that there'd be no flash and came back into the theater...all set. Now mind you, the photos are not really all that clear 'cause of the no flash and I had to keep it concealed from the ones sitting next to me & the stage since we were so close, but I did get SOME that turned out okay.




Just before Scrooge took his fateful nap on Christmas Eve



The Ghost of Christmas Past along with Scrooge looking down on the Fezziwig party.



The ghost of Christmas Present near Scrooge's bedside.



The Cratchit family with Tiny Tim atop a chair --toasting to everyone.



The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come...atop the balcony [white face] and Scrooge just about ready to see his OWN grave stone.


"....I will live in the past, the present, and the future. The spirits of all three will strive in me."
~Scrooge
Last Stave



<><><>



Yep, the tag is on me -by sweet Becci of Becci's Bungalow

5 things I'd like for Christmas

This is most difficult. I may jokingly say I need to win the lotto, but hey---I never play nor gamble money, so what the heck, I can't win if I don't play. I'm fortunate enough to say I don't need anything. Even without gifts and wishes, Christmas, unlike the Grinch would think, still comes. No matter. So, I'll list five things that I will like for what goes beyond this Christmas; five things that I would WANT to see for 2008.

1] I would like to see my son further his dreams and goals and continue working on his doctorate.
2] I would like to see my daughter do the same in continuing her education becoming a minister.
3] I would like to wake up and breathe each and every day & continue to enjoy life.
4] I would like less exposure of celebrity mishaps. --And I'm not talking Janet Jackson exposure type. *grin* --I'm thinking about a gossip story about someone that just gets way too much media exposure. [so miserably redundant for me]
5] I would want the most qualified person in the White House! And get us out of Iraq and the middle east.

<><><>


According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December.

Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring. Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl.

We should have known... ONLY women would be able to drag a fat man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.




<><><>


Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, an honest lawyer and an old drunk are walking down the street together when they simultaneously spot a hundred dollar bill. Who gets it? The old drunk, of course, the other three are mythological creatures.


<><><>




18 comments :

  1. Good Morning Anni,
    Wow, you have brought tears to my eyes. You are so right. There is no greater gift than FAMILY. I feel the same way. I guess you can tell by the way I talk about my Family all the time. But that's just me. I love the pencil drawing of your Parents. That is just beautiful. Did you do that yourself? Thanks for sharing your pictures of the Christmas Carol with us. I might have known you would do something like that. LOL. And those 5 things you want for Christmas, are the best. Who could want anything more than that? You are truly an amazing woman Anni. Thank you for stopping by this morning. I hope you will stop back by when you have time and pick up your "Bodacious Award" from me. I don't know if you have it or not, but I want you to have it. Well, take care my friend and have a great Tuesday. May God Bless You and Yours. I really enjoyed your post today. That's what it's all about, FAMILY.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post!!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post indeed!
    I have our winner post up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your favorite gift! Very touching indeed! Becci tagged me for the 5 Christmas wishes too -- mine are posted today as well! Along with a special "gift" from a special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Anni!

    I am thrilled to have received your awards and just did a post about them! That was so sweet of you!

    On the other hand.....you rebel you...conceiling your camera.......that is too funny! With all of your challenges, I think you still got some really good pictures! It looks like they did a great job on the play and you and hubs had a great night!

    Bless you today! :0) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post very much, Anni.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Hottin' Anni, loved your thoughts about your memorable gift...very pretty! And wonderful sketch.

    The musical sounds like fun, enjoyed seeing the "forbidden" pictures, lol!

    I was tagged with the 5 wishes too, which I posted yesterday. I think many, many people share your 5th wish :)
    Happy Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    Your most treasured gift is indeed the most precious thing you will ever own. Family is so important and I would give ALL of the gifts in the world just to be with mine.

    I'm certainly missing the Christmas tree and all the decorations this year. It's the first time in my life I haven't put them up, but family is so much more important and I will survive, I think. ;-)

    Thank you for this wonderful post. You are such a talented lady and I'm proud to know you. I'm so glad we became friends after I started blogging here in September.

    Thanks also for the heart touching comments on my post today. My Christmas wish for you is that you receive abundant blessings at Christmas and throughout the coming year.

    Love and blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning and thanks for stopping by even though I have not been posting. i finally got a new one up this morning!! Busy time you know!!
    Great post this morning. i so agree with your parents being the best thing that could ever have happened to you...without them you would be nothing or someone completely different too.
    Have a great week!!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your blog--so glad to have found it this week...it is like an early Christmas present!

    You've been linked!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your head or tails this week.

    Your blog is looking good too.

    My Heads or Tails

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful heads or tails. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! I read somewhere that reindeer are called "rein"deer because they're the only deer on earth that wear reins willingly- Santa's of course!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my usual browser, Firefox, the comment pop-ups are too small to leave any comments. They won't resize, either. Usually I can get around that by right-clicking and opening the comments in a new tab. However, your blog does not cooperate.

    I ended up having to open Netscape just to comment here.

    I loved your Heads or Tails. You are so right. No material gift is worth anything compared to the gift of your family. What a beautiful sketch of your parents.

    Also, sorry to leave you hanging on my Heads or Tails. I wrote an explanation on my blog just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas! Family is indeed the most memorable gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, I love the pencil sketch of your parents. You never cease to amaze me. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Thank you for the Holday Greetings. Happy Christams and A Blessed New Year!

    I saved your page and I enjoyed reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, Anni when you get serious you do it right! The gift of life is THE greatest gift of all. I wish I had thought of it also.

    Blessed holidays to you and your family,
    Vixen
    http://vixensden.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

.