my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


MONDAY MOMENT

Homemaking MeMe

I found this while visiting Groovy's Ruminations. It's another long one.

Aprons - Y/N? Even when I was in Junior High School, many, many moons ago--when I had to make an apron...I never wore it then, nor do I now! Too cumbersome.

Baking - Favorite thing to bake? Everything for Thanksgiving, from roasting the turkey and dressing with brown gravy up to pies and REAL whipped cream! We founder this one time a year! Nothing barred or banned on Turkey Day!!

Clothesline - Y/N? Yes, but----shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone! I dry several things outdoors from rags and towels [most like the soft bath/body towels, me?...I love the coarse feeling when drying off--makes a body more tingly.] And I refuse to dry bedding in the dryer! But again...don't tell anyone! It's against the subdivisions 'rules and covenants'!!

Donuts - Ever made them? *Guilty*!! Yep, from potatoes! Drizzled with chocolate...they're like raised glazed but not quite as lethal! I don't 'do' store bought. And, definitely NOT Krispy Kreme....they taste very lardy to me.

Everyday - One homemaking thing you do everyday? Wow...I'm unpredictable. I really can't 'fess up to anything routine 'cause it's only hubby and I at home now-a-days. If I don't make a bed, or cook---so be it! The closest thing to 'everyday' would be to sweep floors and vacuum carpet...I have a 'thing' for hairs, and we have two cats. But again, there are times I skip a day. My guess is the floors are swept and the carpets are vacuumed pro'lly 350 days a year.

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freezer? We have a separate one, but not deep freeze. Deep freezers are 'chest type'...we have an upright.

Garbage Disposal - Y/N? Yes...two. One for human food waste disposing...under the sink, naturally. One for cat food leftovers---don't laugh[okay, go ahead and laugh--but this is true!]. Tahoe cleans up Winston's uneaten food! That's why she's so fat!! And if she's not found by his dish...they you won't find HER under the sink!------usually lazing at the window--in the sun, or on the heated waterbed.

Handbook - Y/N? A handbook? I don't use handbooks...not in anyway shape or form! I have Google these days!!

Ironing - Love it or hate it? Ha!! Iron is a four letter word and not to be spoken around this house!!! Why, if spoken --whoever mutters the word gets his/her mouth washed out with soap!! Hate isn't a good choice of word. I've had ONE iron since I've been married...let's just say it's in a spare closet, and still looks as good as new!! [39 years old]

Junk Drawer - Where is it? Two actually. No wait...three!! One in the kitchen...a junk drawer for kitchen utensils I rarely use, one in the hutch that has everything else that is used for household repairs and maybe a few odd batteries--things like that. The third is in the garage. Mostly hubby's 'junk'.

Kitchen - Design and decorating? Well, it's hard to describe. Our kitchen is off the dining room. But divided by a partial upright 1/2 wall of open-pedestal-like wood. Below this divider is 1/2 wall. Then, the division of the kitchen to the living room is 1/2 open and 1/2 wall.......all angled, not 'squared off'. Green Italian tile floor and cherry wood cupboards. The countertops are white. I've always loved white counters in a kitchen---it looks more 'sterile'.

My dream? Ummmm, you mean pertaining to "Homemaking"? I guess I've[I should say 'we' ---'cause hubby helped in this dream] accomplished my dream....as long as I have the fortunes of owning and continue to own...I'm happy. The 'home' part is just that----owning. No matter what kind of home. Must admit tho, when kids were home, our house was huge---3 story and lots of spare rooms. But after retiring we went much smaller. Now just a 3 bedroom, one story. Less time to clean now-a-days.

Love - What is your favorite part of homemaking? I'm a homebody. So, I love most all. I have to confess there are times I don't feel like doing a particular task...hey, after all these years, homemaking can be boring for a day or two, and I slack off....but for the most part, I love homemaking. I love cooking, I don't mind cleaning and scrubbing...I love decorating and I don't mind laundry[tho, I don't hafta do this chore often any longer like I did when both of us had full time jobs and kids were in school]. I don't care for folding laundry...I've been known to just put the clothes in the basket and 'hide' the basket sometimes....but hey. Now there are no kids at home---who cares? I guess I would have to say, cooking is when I get most joy.

Mop - Y/N? Mop, yes. And like once a month, I actually get down on my hands and knees like Cinderella, and SCRUB BY HAND.

Nylons - Wash them by hand or in the washer? I rarely go anywhere or do anything that calls for these items. After living in Arizona, where it's HOT year 'round, I actually learned to NOT wear them. Even when going out at night. But if I DO wear them on occasion---they are washed by hand with Woolite.

Oven - Do you use the window or open it to check? I would open and check. Oven window is quite grubby from the inside from the last broiling job. LOL Actually, I use the oven timer...I most often go by that without checking.

Pizza - What do you put on yours? My own homemade pizza sauce...mixed with parmesan cheese...cheddar cheese, gobs of mozarella cheese and oodles of pepperoni and black olives and onion. [if there are green olives I eliminate the onion and black olives and use green olives and pepperoni along with the cheese mix]

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? If weather permitting, I'm found out on the patio, reading or working in the roses...it's a good kind of quiet time for me. If indoors, it's at the computer or reading or crocheting. With no speakers on...nor TV or radio or cd's playing...absolute quiet. Then, the end of the day is my most favorite quiet time. When things are done, the TV is off---around 10-11 p m is my other quiet time...my hour of reading. The only noise is my heart beating in my ears and a cat purring at my side.

Recipe card box - Y/N? I have two. My mother's old box of recipes and my own. Neither one is used often tho...But I do clip recipes that sound good and store them away in my own box.

Style of house - Red Brick.

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N? No on the table cloth...yes on napkins. Most always cloth napkins.

Under the kitchen sink - Disposal, dishwasher liquid, liquid soap --like Joy or Palmolive for dishes. Scrubbies, extra lightbulbs, extension cords, trash basket, trash sacks. And most likely a cockroach or two at night! You know how they always say things are bigger in Texas? Well, I've seen cockroaches that you could put a collar on it and call it your pet! Nobody would know it's a cockroach --they're that big. [just kidding]

Vacuum - How many times a week? Most of the time, it's actually 6-7 days a week.
[blue carpet, white long haired cat...that equals to a daily vacuuming!]


Wash - How many loads do you do a week? Let me put it this way...I wait till the laundry shoot is filled to the brim. And the storage bin for towels and bedding is overflowing...Granted it's about once every two weeks that I do laundry, but that would equal to about 8-10 loads bi-weekly. [4-5 a week if I would do it that way, but don't]

X'es - Do you keep a list of things to do and cross them off? Often. Yes. And I also have a honey-do list for hubby!!

Yard - Who does what? LOL...I do most of it myself. Ask hubby...he'll tellya. I don't like the way he does it. ROFL. He DOES mow tho. But the roses, the edging, the flowers, the weeding...I do it. Mainly 'cause he doesn't know a weed from a flower. Why one time, I had him spray the 'weeds' once, when I worked full time...within the week, my 4 o'clocks were dead, and the day lilies didn't come up---ever!!! Oh, I hafta give him credit for trimming trees and hedges too.

ZZZ's - What is your last homemaking task for the day? Cooking. It's a law. I cook, hubby cleans the dishes for the dishwasher. I reward him with his favorite ice cream tho...Ben and Jerry's "Turtle Soup"!! Yet, when there is BBQing to be done, hubby cooks and I clean---with, alas, no reward but a 'contented fart or two from dear man!!

6 comments :

  1. You're right -- that's a LONG one! I've got too much going on right now - I might come back to it later! I promise I won't tell your neighbors about the clothes line! (is that why the tall fence?) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny...I enjoyed this post!!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't you mention ironing in this house either! I've actually gone out and bought new clothes rather than ironing the old ones. And I never buy new clothes any more that is suppose to be ironed.... And I have recently had a lack of iron, ironic enough, so I can't stand to see the iron pills either!!!! *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to give you information about the upcoming Lifecruiser CYBER CRUISE but not here. Is there any chance that you can email me at lifecruiserteam at gmail com? It's preliminary setting sails the 16th of March as it looks now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as if you need a Margarita after a day working your butt off like that!!! It's strange but on a rare occasion, I like ironing - mind you, that's very rare...but I have a couple of white shirts that just look cool and they need those creases. It's demented, isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the anti-homemaker. I don't think I could answer any of these. ha ha. Mop? What's that? Iron? You're kidding right? he he

    ReplyDelete

.