Bud and I decided to take a short trip to Chapman's Ranch southwest of the city. Of course it was a drive to see if we could find hawks. They are known to frequent the fields before the crops are plowed under for the season. For the most part we were too late in the year. 90% of the fields where our car took us were barren. Not much food for the raptors then. Anyway...I also noticed that a lot of the county/country roads were in dire need of mowing. Drainage ditches had grass as high as five feet or more!! Of course, it's county that does the upkeep I'm sure. Ever since covid hit, the work ethics just went downhill. No one wants a job that pays...the people expect more money, better wages, stay at home jobs, and given 'free money' with family tax credits and stimulus checks! It's a shame as far as I can see. If we EVER recover.
We did see one hawk finally, and I believe it is either a dark morph or a juvenile...which makes them difficult to ID. I am hoping some birder expert will help me as I posted the photo of it on my Bird Photo Blog [scheduled to be posted Saturday]. Other birds seen were kestrels, doves, egrets, caracaras and more.
There is one area we always stop the car, get out, and listen for birds in the scrub, along the rutted tire trails, the mesquite trees, fence lines, and power poles. On this day, nothing. As I got out of the car tho, up a short incline in the road, in the middle of the road, I spied a couple of wild animals. Always a treat. We watched them for several minutes before we left them to their day...



Most all commentors asked for more details and close ups of my witches. I promise, soon, to get some photos posted. I have them, resizing them, and will get 'em up when I'm done! I'm glad most of you are enjoying the fun I have collecting witches for the season! :-)
Quelle belle rencontre que celle là , ces animaux sont vraiment très attachants , merci pour ces photos très belles
ReplyDeleteBonne journée
Thank you for those kind words!!
DeleteWell at least you had a nice drive. I totally agree with you on the work ethic thing and I too wonder if we will ever recover from the madness.
ReplyDelete.... it's doubtful.
DeleteIt is nice to take a drive in the countryside. Love the deer, they are so cute. Have a great day and a happy weekend.
ReplyDeleteThank you Eileen
DeleteThe deer are so beautiful and we are fortunate enough to see them almost daily. A few days ago, there were 5 of them and we stood and watched until they disappeared.
ReplyDeleteEvery day?? You two are living right!
DeleteThe deer has a full portfolio of her candid moves captured on camera.
ReplyDelete🙂🦌🙂
Delete"....and given 'free money' with family tax credits and stimulus checks!"
ReplyDeleteAnni, I agree, and it's the same here. We have issues with no one wanting to work because it's easier to stay at home and get 'free money.' I nickname Philadelphia the "Handout City."
Your captures of the deer are gorgeous. I especially love the closeup's. Deer have such sweet-looking eyes.
Thanks for sharing your trip to Chapman's Ranch. Enjoyed very much. And have grrrreat weekend, my friend!
Yes ...their eyes!!!
DeleteI love your deer!!
ReplyDeleteYogi!! It's been a while for visiting...nice to have you stop by.
DeleteOh Dear the Deer are such good day time posers and so obliging as you snapped away.
ReplyDeleteAnni Tuesday afternoon while sitting on the back porch playing WWF on my iPad. I noticed a huge shadow...fly by. Looked over at my bird bath to find a gorgeous Hawk sitting on the bird bath. Of course he was gone by the time I got my iPad camera on. I had to take a pic with my mind's eye.
Your witches are bewitching and I look forward to up close
Hugs Cecilia
A hawk in your bird bath!! How awesome.
DeleteI just LOVE the deer ears! So perky and alert. The last shot is my favorite. Unbelievable how people are relying on handouts! No wonder things are not getting accomplished. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I never really thought about their ears...now that you mention it, yes!! I get hypnotized with their eyes. Yep...gimme.
DeleteLove those deer and the posing they did for you.
ReplyDeleteKnow what you mean about the high grass on the sides of the roads. They use to come by regularly but this time the grass got thigh high before they came. Could have almost made hay.
...at least yours got mowed!!
DeleteI love your witches and all of your Halloween because you're the only one I know that makes Halloween beautiful. I would love to have seen those deer
ReplyDeleteWell thank you kindly Sandra. Your sweet comment made my day.
DeleteIt's always a pleasure to see deer in the wild! I never get tired of it! Thanks for the photos!
ReplyDeleteMe either! Love 'em
DeleteSo true about the fact that no one wants to work anymore.
ReplyDeleteThe Lib Dems are training them, to rely on Big Gov., for everything.
And these people are not smart enough, to not swallow it.
Sit home and let the Gov. pay you. Don't bother to work yourself.
Is this a surprise? Of course not! The Lib. Dems proclaimed the Wonders of The Socialist and Marxist Systems. If anyone listened, when they were running for office.
🎃🍁🍂🌰
For as much as you politick in comments & your blog, you should run for office!!! But the focus (at least I thought) was the deer. 🦌🤔🦌
DeleteBut, you put your "Our Country's Woes" first. How was I to not jump on that??? >,-)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Delete🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰 🎃🍁🍂🌰
Lol...
DeleteLove all the photos of your Wild Creatures... they bring a peaceful feeling to the chaos of this world.
ReplyDeleteYou are right about people not wanting to work..I just don't get it!!!
End of my rant for the day.. I have to admit that some of the stimulus checks last year really saved our backsides. Its certainly not how we operate normally.
Ok enough said...
Sue
It's a shame we Americans are becoming 3rd world citizens. Imo
DeleteSorry that you weren't treated to many raptors, but you definitely were treated with these great photos of deer! I concur with your sentiments in the first paragraph.
ReplyDeleteYou and I, obviously, aren't the only ones thinking the same.
DeleteI love to see the sweet faces of those animals. And I was convinced one of the is a statue. Or not. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt would be great to HAVE a statue of perfection such as these two!
DeleteWonderful deer photos. They look nice and healthy, too. Love your bird photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteWe always enjoy watching the deer.
ReplyDeleteThe drainage ditches in my neck of the woods have all been mowed and cleaned out. They have to get them ready for the snow!
That makes sense.
DeleteIt looks like they came to visit you! I was going to ask for closer pics, so I could see the witch's details, so I am glad that others did as well. I have enlarged them, but that was no help. Enlargements of any Gnomes, as well!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not enjoying gnomes any longer ..tiring. lol
DeleteWe have quite a few red hawks near my home.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Beautiful deer photos...I especially love the close-up of the face...Somehow they always look so very innocent. Now that the corn field has been harvested, I have been waiting for my albinos to return (well, hoping they never left and hoping to see them as the corn blocked my view of their favorite hangout). But today I woke up to everything covered in snow and it has snowed all day so they'd be difficult to see. ~Robin~ (The Cranky Crow)
ReplyDeleteOh "deer"...snow? So early? Well it seems early in the season.
DeleteI love seeing deer! We had 3 outside our office today.
ReplyDeleteI love watching them.
DeleteWell, you may not have seen the Hawks you were hoping for but seeing the deer must have been a consolation. smile. (Stupid Blogger still insists I'm anonymous) Granny Marigold
ReplyDeleteLog out, clean browser cache an log in? Maybe that would clear things up. Just a hunch.
DeleteBeautiful pictures, thank you!
ReplyDelete🙂
DeleteI love visiting here and will be patiently waiting for close ups! My touch screen is disabled and I can't play I Spy like I used to do!
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered if you are related to this Chapman family
DeleteThe County Road sides are terribly neglected here. The road crews have pretty much given up mowing, so just spray the right of ways with an herbicide, which is one of my pet peeves. Your drive through the ranch lands is one that I would enjoy.
ReplyDeleteOnly one lane road tho!!
DeleteExcellent photos of the deer! I don't see near as many hawks as I used to.
ReplyDeleteBirds seem more scarce everywhere!?!!
DeleteWhat wonderful photos and your header is stunning. Love it all!!!!! xo Diana
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
DeleteI'm sorry you didn't get your bird photos but those deer ones are fantastic! We have had one circling our garden but no real sightings yet. Caught one little downy sitting as still as a statue, looking up at the sky. The birds have been very quiet today. Yes, I love your collection and would be very happy to see more details and close-ups. Thanks Anni :)
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, the downy I'd love to have seen!
DeleteJust GREAT pictures! Wow!
ReplyDeleteTitti
Thank you.
DeleteGreat shots of the deer. That would have made the drive worthwhile for me.
ReplyDeleteDeer...they ARE special.
Delete