

I was craving Mexican food. I didn't feel like cooking. In all honesty I was craving restaurant-stlye frijoles [refried beans]. I convinced Bud to get out of his chair and drop the cellphone, go shave, change clothes, and be ready for me to take "him" out to lunch! What convinced him to move was the promise of a margarita and a shaker of salt! We got there, ordered, and I was soon satisfied with my craving and then some! We both ordered the chille relleno *pronounced ree EN oh* [deep fried pablona pepper stuffed with cheese], a pork enchilada, served with refried beans and Mexican rice! While waiting for the meal to be served we snacked on warm corn chips and their famous [bottled at stores too] salsa as we sipped on our margaritas. I was full when our plates were licked clean, and waddled out of the diner to slowly make it to the book store behind the establishment. Just to walk off some of the food. We purposely parked the car some distance from where the bookstore is and the restaurant [a shady spot] to also get some fat burning steps in before we made our way home! Delicious!!
I'm in the process of making my family favorite salad. Potato salad. I plan on making enough to have it last the two of us for three days. Tonight, the menu will be just two courses, with dessert being the 3rd course. lol We'll have HLTs [ham, lettuce and tomato] sandwiches with the salad and then, strawberry short cake with angel food cake. And sugar free cool whip. Both of us actually like the no sugar best and we've tried them all!! So that works for the day.
I'm in the process of making my family favorite salad. Potato salad. I plan on making enough to have it last the two of us for three days. Tonight, the menu will be just two courses, with dessert being the 3rd course. lol We'll have HLTs [ham, lettuce and tomato] sandwiches with the salad and then, strawberry short cake with angel food cake. And sugar free cool whip. Both of us actually like the no sugar best and we've tried them all!! So that works for the day.
I am gonna take out pork loin for tomorrow. Have BBQ pork and potato salad again. Little work involved for the weekend. Hope it will last a couple of days to finish off the leftovers with BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and tossed salad.


Since this post starts off with food, I want to share these pictures also. For it being 'out of season' for freshly grown strawberries, when I went to the Farmer's market Friday morning, they had 2 quarts of these lucious looking berries for $4! That's like buying one quart and getting the 2nd one free comparing the price of the supermarket!! Couldn't resist 'em, and got 'em home, cleaned and ready to serve! Did I mention how sweet they were?
I found a newly published book that I bought...BOOTH {the Booth family associated with Lincoln's assassination}. A favorite subject of mine.
What a yummy looking Mexican feast, good for you guys! And the berries are beautiful and juicy looking.
ReplyDeleteAll was delicious!!
DeleteYour lunch looks really good. Those strawberries are looking tasty too. I'm getting hungry after reading your post. I have a craving for potato salad.
ReplyDeleteI ❤️ potato salad. (Homemade)
DeleteYour foodables all sound delicious! I don't eat Mexican very often but when I do, it's a treat!
ReplyDeleteIt IS a treat!
Deleteit all looks delish to me and we are in strawberry festival time here and my freezer has fresh strawberries that need no sugar... glad you could get out and enjoy a resturant.. sandwiches and potato salad YUM
ReplyDeleteI ❤️ strawberries!
DeleteAnni, I LOVE Mexican food! There is a restaurant not far from my apartment called, "Elvez", that has such great Mexican food. Many years ago, I took a Texian blogging friend there who was visiting Philly on business. And she really enjoyed the food.
ReplyDeleteGlad you and your husband had a great lunch date. Your food looked (and sounded) delicious!
Those strawberries also look delicious. Yum!
Have a super Sunday, my friend!
That and Italian!!
DeleteWe haven't eaten out in years, but have discovered great Mexican meals to make at home. We both love Mexican food.
ReplyDeleteOh my those strawberries sure do look delicious!!!
I enjoy going out to dine!!
DeleteI don't think (or remember) ever having Mexican food of any kind. Maybe because I don't like spicy and also because green peppers hate me. Can you convince me more? I'm sure there are places within 50 miles that might have some authentic meals available. I do like to hear that you had a nice date and exercise! Bring on the strawberries!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteDo you like hamburgers? Try a plain taco.
DeleteHot weather had me looking for no cook recipes too. Anni everything you described and showed looks delicious!! I love strawberries.
ReplyDeleteFriday night we had Chickpea tabbouleh with artichokes, grilled chicken (I bought Perdue pre cooked) Salad. Had cherry tomatoes and fresh mint in it. I was scrumptious (I don't like the texture of chickpeas so I used great northern. Excellent. We also had Sea Foam salad.
Hugs Cecilia
PS I see the way to get Bud's attention is thru his tummy!!!
I've never had artichokes.
DeleteIf that had been your first date, you would certainly have had a second. Great food, exercise and book shopping. The dessert would have been the sealer.
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteWhat a wonderful day it sounds like you had, Anni... with some wonderful food to come also. Once in awhile a body's just gotta have restaurant food. I think that's a law somewhere too!! :-D Thanks for "taking us along". ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteThere is something (probably not healthy( that restaurant refried beans have that I can't replicate!
DeleteI just made one of our favorite Mexican recipes this week too... Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. I don't do too spicy, but do use a medium spicy green salsa on top. We haven't been to a Mexican Restaurant in a while (or any restaurant really) - but if things keep looking up, maybe soon! And as far as Mexican desserts go - I love Flan! Glad you enjoyed your outing!
ReplyDeleteMmmmm, chicken enchiladas!! Yum
DeleteWe just tried a new Mexican place that opened by us called Miguels. It was pretty good but the best Mexican food we've had is at a restaurant in Mexican Village in downtown Detroit! It's just not always feasible to go down there, especially with the price of gas nowadays! All the food sounds so good! This post made me hungry!
ReplyDeleteBut, if you ARE nearby, it's the place to go.
DeleteGlad you enjoyed a nice lunch! We have a place not too far away that Ron likes to order Mexican food from, but they also have pizza, sandwiches, a variety of salads, and some shrimp and salmon dishes so that works for me, too. I have made chili rellenos, but they are a bit involved, so I have to be in the mood.
ReplyDeleteStrawberries looks very delicious.
Definitely a LOT of work involved!!
DeleteHow great that you could satisfy your craving for Mexican food. The closest I get to making anything remotely Mexican are Nachos, and also roasted, stuffed jalapenos (which my DH won't eat). I'm looking forward to nachos this coming week. I have 2 avocados almost ready. Oh yes, I also make a hot dip with a can of refried beans, a good dollop of salsa and lots of cheese. Baked 20 minutes or so...Yum.
ReplyDeleteSmart girl to make enough potato salad for 3 meals while you were at it. The same amount of work to make 1 or 3 meals worth.
I have sliced and sugared strawberries in the fridge but they are the inferior kind of berry with white insides. Soon we should have local berries. I can hardly wait.
I don't mind cooking, but if I can make enough for leftovers, it works for me!!
DeleteThose strawberries look mouthwatering good.
ReplyDeleteThey were pretty good!
DeleteThat all sounds good! Especially loved the look of those strawberries. I am looking forward to the farmers markets. We bought a cooked rotisserie chicken yesterday from our local supermarket. Had that for dinner last night with a salad, and today I made a chicken salad from the rest of it.
ReplyDeleteFarmer's markets are great places to get FRESH produce!!
Deletethat looks so good, but I'm full, I made spaghetti and a pie. hope ya have a good week,
ReplyDeleteI love all Italian too!
DeleteYour post should have come with a warning.....not to be read anywhere near meal time....or hungry time. Yikes! Everything looks and sounds wonderful. I loved the bounty of Mexican food in Arizona when we used to go there. And, yes, that sounds like a perfect outing to me being finished off with one of my favorite things: A book store! I also love potato salad...I could eat it for 3 days and then some...for all my meals and have it as dessert. But, I am picky...my mum made the absolute best in the world and she was expected to bring it whenever our family got together. Hope you enjoy the book! Sounds good to me. ~Robin~
ReplyDeleteOops...think you know, but https://thecrankycrow.blogspot.com/
DeleteMe too. I love potato salad.
DeleteI knew who you were 😉
DeleteRoast Chicken on the menu, it makes a tasty Sunday dinner :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Sounds good!
DeleteAhhhhhh, you "scratched an itch"!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNever had all that Mexican but I'm sure you had a great time.
Here, husband is trying to get by, with an infected tooth, till it can get taken out next week. Pennicilin and only tylenol for pain. Not pretty. -sigh- Actually everything is harder, at near 89. Will b e so glad when this is over. Needless to say, he will be toooooo.
😊 💛 😊 💛 😊
Tooth aches are not fun!!
DeleteI love Mexican food, but Bob just tolerates it, so we don't go out for it often. Your food looks good!
ReplyDeleteYour menu sounds good too!
Thank goodness Bud likes Mexican food!!
DeleteStrawberries are either $2 or $4 a pound here.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Why are they so costly?
DeleteYou're making me hungry! 😊
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteYou had me with Mexican food!!! I'm looking forward to Tuesday night when we typically eat at El Conquistador on our way to the Waco Bee Meeting! Margaritas are a given!!
ReplyDeleteI know...margaritas are great!!
DeleteA deep fried pablona pepper stuffed with cheese? Never heard of it, but sounds absolutely delicious. I have to get out of my rut of always ordering a burrito at a Mexican restaurant. But they always seem to be the best deal. Especially with leftovers. Potato salad is always a favorite here, but always to be eaten in moderation. Sometime I eat enough to consider it a meal. And then to take out a custard cup's worth to "snack on". :-)
ReplyDeleteBurritos are good too! Have you ever had one that is deep fat fried?
DeleteYour post has made me hungry, haha.
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteEVerything looks and sounds so delicious!
ReplyDeleteIt was
Delete