Bud probably wishes I'd be out birding instead of staying home away from the maddening crowds on the beaches! LOL We spent most of the weekend pulling weeds from this past winter months. And there were a LOT! They filled up our large trash bin the city provides. The last time we did quite a bit of yard work was before Christmas. And it was proof...ignoring the weeds is NOT a good thing.
Anyway, I did manage to go to the small park downtown for an hour or two. I heard cardinals singing and saw doves flying overhead, but no photo ops this time. I ended up taking photos of all the wild flowers I could see...
When I noticed the wild bluebonnet in bloom [fourth image in top series], I realized that maybe I should take a short drive to my annual check where there are fields of them!! Since we are in a drought tho, I'm thinking that they are not gonna be all too showy this year! I've been wrong before!! Oh, and the acacia trees were in full bloom at the park...the fragrance permeated the air...sweet!!! A sure sign Spring has arrived.
BEWARE OF THE IDES OF MARCH
As a lot of my followers know, I enjoy anything Shakespeare. One of my favorites is Julius Caesar [a Shakespearian thriller]. Today is the 15th of March! A soothsayer comes from the crowd and warns Caesar 'Beware of the Ides of March'. The Roman dictator, Julius Caesar, was not emperor until AFTER his death, being stabbed at the quorum/gathering on the 15th.
Today, the phrase “beware the Ides of March” often refers to some betrayal that is going to happen to somebody. The phrase mostly implies in terms of some treachery or some alert.
I enjoyed seeing all the wildflowers. I'm getting antsy for some signs of spring around here.
ReplyDeleteLong winters are the pits!!!
DeleteA splendid series of photos showcasing these beautiful flowers and their vibrant colors! I hope the Ides don't come to my office today. I'm up to my eyes in work today. :-)
ReplyDeleteHope your day went well!!
DeleteYes, Anni, you can begin to feel spring in the air here as well. However, it snowed two days ago can you believe that?!? I'm not putting my winter clothes away because March and April can be freaky, weather-wise. One year we had a snow blizzard at the end of April!
ReplyDeleteYour photographs are just lovely. My favorite part of Spring is not only the colors, but the aroma from all the blossoms.
Happy Spring, Anni!
Yep, I can understand winter wardrobes ...we got blizzards in May in Colorado
DeleteIt's so nice to see pretty flowers! March 15th is my brother's birthday so it's always been a great day for me and for him as well.
ReplyDeleteBelated happy birthday to your brother!
DeleteImpressed with your weeding. Think I will hire it done this year. May your Ides be alarm free. I guess you get a lot of Spring Breakers too. They seem to really be going wild this year after being penned up for 2 years. I do worry about a Covid surge with their abandon. China is locked down now and NY is seeing a spike. Don't think we are done yet.
ReplyDeleteThey're "wild" every year!!!
Deletegorgeous photos, i love all yellow flowers and these are so pretty. we have not been weeding but hacking and hauling, trimming giant bushes back from 20 to 30 feet to 4 feet from the ground. exhausting work for sure... I rather drag what bob chops to the curb than pull weeds. we let our weeds go until bob runs over them with the lawn mower
ReplyDeleteOur weeds can't be mowed ...in rock gardens along the foundation.
DeleteLove bluebonnets and look forward to seeing more of them on your blog. Great wildflower pictures!
ReplyDeleteI hope to find some. Lack of rain this year may keep the fields barren.
DeleteNo blooms here yet except for indoor plants but when I took out the trash bag for pickup, I did SEE A COUPLE OF DAFFODILS poking their shoots up from the frozen earth. Yay! I sure like your flowers today as they are the hope of spring.
ReplyDeleteI love daffodils!!
DeleteBeautiful wildflowers! I did not know that about the Ides of March!
ReplyDeleteNow, you do. lol
DeleteAnni I continue to be in awe of how sharp and crisp your photos for flowers and well everything look. Thank you for reminding me about the Ides of March.
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
😊 thanks
DeleteI taught that play probably fifty times, at least, to very ambivalent sophomores. I still remember huge chunks of it word for word. Cassius had all the best lines.
ReplyDeleteThose gorgeous bluebonnets! What a vibrant blue they are.
Et tu brute.
DeleteAhhh look at Spring in *your neck of the woods*!!!
ReplyDeleteI saw my 1st robin today.<--My "Claim to Spring Fame" LOLLLLLLL
Always forget the date of the Ides of March. Thank you.
🌷🌺🌷Gentle hugs🌷🌺🌷
We have robins year 'round. But scarce.
DeleteThe Bluebonnet has made my day!! I have not seen such a variety of wildflowers around here yet. I did not know about when Ceasar became emperor, how silly!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI love all the wildflowers. Can't wait till some signs of spring and new growth happen here.
ReplyDeleteYou still covered in snow?
DeleteThe very first bluebonnet of the season!! I just came in from a walk about at the country with the quads and there is just now the first signs of tiny wildflowers! Love all your gorgeous photos!! And glad you were able to get to the park!
ReplyDeleteYep. If it doesn't rain soon, may be the only one.
DeleteSure was nice to see all those pretty wildflowers blooming already.
ReplyDeleteEarly Spring ...late winter here. 😊
DeleteLovely photographs of the wildflowers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing about the Ides of March.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan.
DeleteNice snaps of the wildflowers. Thanks for sharing the info regarding the ideas of March.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteWell....another benefit of living in Nod: no weeds for months...and months...and MONTHS. It warmed enough today to melt a bit...but still no sign of ground. It's going to be a while before we see anything other than white. And I am a fellow Shakespeare lover! A huge, huge, volume of his work was one of the very first books I bought when I earned my own money. ~Robin~ (How I wish I could take photos like you!!!)
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of volumes, but the small print is not good! And I haven't fired up my kindle in years.
DeleteI'm admiring all your wildflowers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me about the ides of March. Somehow when I looked at the date this morning I briefly wondered if it was someone's birthday that I should be remembering, but no, no one's birthday that I knew of. Maybe I was recalling that bit about the ides of March. The strangest things come back to me from time to time.
Ides of March always hits me.
DeleteYour flowers are so pretty - especially that bluebonnet! I hope your field is blooming.
ReplyDeleteI will try & drive over & see.
DeleteI would definitely be staying away from those crowds at the beach Anni. After all the weeding, I’m glad you got to enjoy the park and share these beautiful flowers with us. I have never seen a bluebonnet before, except in photos. One day for real I hope. Interesting story about Julius Caesar and the story of the saying.
ReplyDeleteCome on down. I'll show you some. In March usually.
DeleteEnjoyed photos of flowers.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
I'm happy to read this Dora.
DeleteYou have a lot more wildflowers than we do! Thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteBeautiful flowers.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the week...
Thanks!
DeleteThese were fun to see, soecially the Bluebonnet...I just love them.
ReplyDeleteRe my post in wondering about relations...I always wonder about them. Or wonder if the various birds or animals are the same ones. When I see robins in my yard, I wonder if they might be related to the one we raised., etc
I bet we do see generations!!
DeleteMOL MOL I learned something from you today Anni! Bryan and I had the same question.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Cecilia
I was always told metal attracts lightning. You too?
DeleteI was just reading something about the Ides of March yesterday. Amazing the connotation that is tied to the date, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous that you have things green and blooming there. We won't see anything growing/blooming here until at least May. I am more than ready!
Have a wonderful St. Paddy's Day! xo Diana
...wildflowers are just coming around...it's been too dry here!
DeleteI love flowers also!
ReplyDeleteWeeds are the worst thigns ever! We have some the snow and freezing tems can not kill! SO as the snow melts we hit the yard hard too. Love when my SIL Jake visits. Last time they were here he cleaned the gutters. He is not happy unless he is busy. Just how he is wired. But they are both a big helo. Our baby girl Hannah is a terirfic cook. We might be enjoying life but she and her two sisters are great cooks. I like to eat what they make hahaha. Take care and enjoy oyur quiet time.
ReplyDeleteI would truly love to have a "cook" in my household!!!
DeleteBeautiful shots. Love the deep blue color of the bluebonnets.
ReplyDeleteWish the flowers would start popping up over here in my neck of the woods.
😊
Delete