To begin the week, it was a chilly morning upon my wake-up hour. But the sky was clear; cloudless. I really had no special plans to do much of anything...I was playing lazy. I even went back to take a nap, only a couple hours after I got up for the day!! And I slept! Now, I tellya, that respite really ruined my mojo. I couldn't get going afterward. Okay, so for the slow start, I had an old power line, ceramic, very large, insulator that I picked up, that had fallen from the pole, on a deserted county road when I was out looking for hawks, etc. several days ago.
I wanted to clean it up and make a planter out of it eventually. So, I got started on it by taking it outdoors [it has been sitting in the garage for some time now], and took the power washer hose to it. Then, I took it indoors and made up a bleach and hot water solution to finish getting it ready for decoration. Trust me when I say it's HEAVY. I was really kinda afraid I'd drop it and crack it. I had an artificial ivy plant for some time now, and when the insulator dried, I stuck the ivy in the open area since there was absolutely no concept of being able to add potting soil, and voilà; an instant planter for our coffee table.
I wanted to clean it up and make a planter out of it eventually. So, I got started on it by taking it outdoors [it has been sitting in the garage for some time now], and took the power washer hose to it. Then, I took it indoors and made up a bleach and hot water solution to finish getting it ready for decoration. Trust me when I say it's HEAVY. I was really kinda afraid I'd drop it and crack it. I had an artificial ivy plant for some time now, and when the insulator dried, I stuck the ivy in the open area since there was absolutely no concept of being able to add potting soil, and voilà; an instant planter for our coffee table.
**_ _ _ _**
Well, that little chore was done, now what do I do? By the time I finished, it was actually too late to drive anywhere, birding. Most often birds are more active; out and about, early. Then again late in the afternoon or dusk...by midmorning [in my experience, around the noon hour], they're well fed and resting somewhere and not too active 'til the urge to fill up for the long night ahead do they come back out for the hunt. I guess I could start another pencil sketch. But what could be the subject? At that time, Isaiah meowed at my foot and I had a sketch subject. As he sat and looked at me, I snapped a photo of him for a guide to draw him. I got to my desk and grabbed my pad of paper, and began. With my photo uploaded to the computer I then opened it and used it for my reference. The photo I took of him did NOT show his pretty raccoon tail and I wanted to add that to my drawing. Not sure if I have the tail positioned in the correct "spot" but it'll have to do. That used up about three hours of my day...

**_ _ _ _**
Overnight, I thawed a loaf of bread dough. [Rhoades, white french] to use as part of our dinner. I planned on making pizza pockets from scratch. Except for the dough of course. A few hours after our lunch of New England clam chowder and pineapple salad, I took the dough from the packaging, I then cut the loaf in quarters...flattened the dough into a nice rounded circle...added mozzarella cheese and sharp cheddar, a serving size of low fat turkey pepperoni...stretched the dough over the filling and pinched to seal it all...placed it on a cookie sheet to allow the pocket dough to rise in the warm kitchen...later, I baked them at 325° until well browned [desired color - about 30-35 minutes]...removed the sheet from oven and brushed melted butter atop the pockets. Then, I topped the sandwich with a "cross" [looking like a hot cross bun] of hot pizza sauce and also placed a dollop of sauce on the plate for dipping. It's very good. And a lot less costly than ordering a pizza delivered these days!! I served it with a tossed green salad, buttered corn, and for dessert we had frozen vanilla yogurt.
**_ _ _ _**
I have four books that I am reading! Yes, four. Right now, I am "into" the heart of one book that Patti recommended. Since it is a subject of my generation, and I enjoy reading auto-biographies, I picked up my fourth book last week when I was at Target. "The Boys" by Ron and Clint Howard [of tv fame]. I'm really enjoying this one. Very much. It's a down to earth family history of Opie Taylor from the Andy Griffith Show and his brother from Gentle Ben...back in the late 50s early 60s and up to date [the nostalgic programs can still be viewed on tv reruns]. I say down to earth 'cause it's more or less what my family was like sans Hollywood. Family values, hard work, devoted parents, growing up in that era, and still having a 'regular' childhood. So far, excellent. Thanks Patti for the honest critique that inspired me to buy/read the book!
Love and Fury [about author Mary Shelly and her mother]
The Mystery of Charles Dickens [biography]
The Bridges of Maracoor [adult fantasy of the famed witch of OZ's offspring]
**_ _ _ _**
your drawing is so lovely, and really captures the elusive mystery of a cat. you got the planter so shiny and pretty! I think I have all the info I need to know to make the pizza pockets, except how long did you let it rise?
ReplyDeleteDepending on how "warm" it is Ginny. No minutes can be calculated...
Deletebest way to know is the size...
When your pockets have 'doubled in size'...it's time to pop 'em in the oven.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteLove your drawing and the pretty ivy plant. Your pizza pockets sound yummy.
Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.
Thanks Eileen...always
DeleteThat insulator made for a nice planter.
ReplyDeleteLove the drawing
The pizza pockets sound good.
They are good. Thanks Ann
DeleteFor someone who made it sound like there was a day wasted after your respite, I must say it was quite productive. I am impressed by the adaptive reuse of the insulator. The table must be very strong. :-) And what a beautiful drawing! I really wish I could dive into book reading.
ReplyDeleteWhen I stay home and don't go walking, it does seem a waste to me.
DeleteLove your insulator planter! Your drawings are always so beautiful, Anni - and your pizza pockets look so yummy!
ReplyDeleteThanks...they ARE yummy.
DeleteAnni, LOVED how creative you are in making that insulator into a planter. GENIUS! And it looks so cool!
ReplyDeleteBeing a cat lover, I really like the sketch of Isaiah. I love how you captured his facial expression.
Pizza pockets. YUM! I love anything to do with BREAD.
Have a terrific day, my friend!
Me too ...bread is a weakness.
DeleteDon't think I have ever seen an insulator that big. What a terrific recycle.
ReplyDeleteLove that sketch of Isaiah.
Thanks for the shout out. I'm so glad you enjoyed ""The Boys too. I was very impressed with how their parents raised them so close to normal with great values.
Very good read!!
DeleteWhat a very clever Hootin' Anni you are making a planter out of the insulator. It cleaned up like new and the emerald green ivy is compliments it.
ReplyDeleteIsaiah well done on your timing...What a beautiful sketch of you. I remain in awe of your resident Mom artist. During the pandemic we started making our own pizza sauce. It is delicious too. I'm not brave enough to make my on dough. I use the Dough Boy's pizza dough.
Hugs Cecilia and well done on the fun post
I may have to look for pizza sauce recipes!!
Deletenow that i can eat hardly anything good because of ibs, i find all these easy to make recipes that i would love. have not heard of the dough boys pizza dough.
ReplyDeleteIsaiah's tail looks perfect as does the whole sketch, but i have never seen one of your sketches that was not perfect. wish I could draw and/or paint. LOVE the transformer transformation into a planter and would never have thought of bringing it home to do that. it is really beautiful on the table. looks expensvive. I have not seen one of these even on a pole
Rhoades bread dough! Maybe you can make them & eat only the filling?
DeleteYour food for the day all sounds really good! And that sketch is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteYou transformed a transformer to form a planter! How very unique. Because i always have Rhodes bread in the freezer I was wondering how the heck you were able to cut it into quarters after thawing it. I would have to take one of the five from the package to thaw it - perhaps then put it in a zip lock bag. I think it might stick to the bag. Did you thaw it in the refrig or on the countertop?
ReplyDeleteOil your hands after thawing (in a bag). It won't stick. Also, oil your cutting knife to quarter the loaf.
DeleteMy goodness, that nap sounds like it was magic, Anni! What stuff you got done afterward!! I love your drawing, especially Isaiah's eyes! That ceramic insulator could NOT be any more cool! You are a genius with what you did with it! I love the Rhoades bread dough too, as far as making things with it. You gave me another great idea with this recipe. I won't be able to partake (too many carbs, dammit!) but it will be fun to make... and hear the ooohs and aaaahs while hubby & youngest eat it. And yes, the good ole days from our generation. I fear they're gone forever and that fact makes me sad. ~Andrea XOXOXO
ReplyDeleteLet me know what they think of the pockets if you make it!
DeleteWhat a great day you had, a day well lived. I love everything about it, your drawing most of all.
ReplyDeleteThanks Inger
DeleteUsing that ceramic insulator as a plant pot was a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI very much like the sketch of your kitty and the fancy tail deserves to be seen.
Using bread dough to make pizza pockets is a good idea. Unfortunately my DH would find it "too bready". Even with pizzas he prefers a thin crust.
We like deep dish pizzas mostly.
DeleteI love how you repurposed the transformer..really a piece of art. I don't think I have ever seen one like that..
ReplyDeleteI sure wish I could sketch like that.. your kitty is marvelous and the tail is unique.
Now I am hungry for pizza. Tomorrow night we are going to a fundraiser that will have homemade ovenbrick pizza made to order..
Perhaps I will have a new blog post in the making..
Sue
Mmmmm, your pizza dinner sounds fantastic.
DeleteWhat a cool planter.
ReplyDeleteIsaiah is a fine subject, and you did a real nice drawing of him!
Mmm, pizza pockets and frozen yogurt... sounds like a delicious dinner. I haven't have frozen yogurt in a long time but always liked it.
Thanks Mary
DeleteLove the sketch of Isaiah - excellent.
ReplyDeleteA lot of times I have a couple three books I'm reading at the same time but don't think I've ever had 4 going! :)
The planter turned out great.
I'll have to try making those pizza pockets - sound delicious.
They are very good!!
DeleteYour sketching skills are amazing. The food you talk about sounds really good, especially since I am getting hungry now.
ReplyDeleteMe too ....when I'm hungry, everything (but oysters) sounds really good
DeleteYou got a lot done, for after losing your "mojo"!!!!!!!!!!! -grin-
ReplyDeleteGentle hugs...
😊
DeleteI'm glad that insulator didn't break when it fell from the pole. It makes a great planter.
ReplyDeleteYour drawing is beautiful as always. I love your work!
I've used that rhodes dough for bread, but I love the idea of making pizza pockets with it. I'll be trying that.
I've made them with pizza sauce INSIDE pocket, but a bit too soggy for me.
DeleteIt sounds like it was a super wonderful day in so many ways. The planter, the sketch, the food! And to think it all started with a nap! :-)
ReplyDeleteA nap worked for me. lol
DeleteINTERESTING books! The witch one has me very intrigued. I love your pencil sketch. It's beautiful. And that is the largest insulator I have ever seen! And a pretty color, too.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much holly
DeleteSuch a nice sketch! It sounds like you had a very fine day. Hope the rest of your week goes well.
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
DeleteHoly Heck...! They aren't kidding when they say everything is bigger in Texas! I've never seen an insulator that large LOL. And how in the world did it not break or crack when it fell? Y'all must have some soft ground in those parts. Absolutely LOVE the sketch of Isaiah. Do you ever do commission work? If not, you should definitely consider it. Ya know...in that spare time of yours LOL. ~Robin~
ReplyDeleteThe field had been plowed, that may have "cushioned" it's fall. Thanks ....others have said I should sell/commissioned my work.
DeleteI would have loved the insulator just by itself, too. And your sketch...I would give anything to have the talent you have, even half!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thanks Rose
DeleteYour drawing is excellent. So glad you are enjoying reading the books. Sounds like a good idea to use the insulator for flowers.
ReplyDeleteThe insulator kinda goes with the "western" ambiance.
DeleteStopping by again to say...
ReplyDelete😏😏 My Icon is not me! 😏😏
Yes, I remember.
DeleteThat sounds like a great day to me!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteThat sounds like a great day to me!
ReplyDelete