Nativity...


For some time now, I've been thinking of drawing the 'reason for the season'...a nativity. Thing is, I KNOW how much trouble I have with drawing hands. This one, I erased, and erased, and erased some more! In fact, the beginning sketches I show, are the 2nd attempt. I trashed the first one. The day was windy, high winds coming in from the north in front of a cold snap that will take us here on the coast to 40 degrees overnight. Of course that won't last long, it'll be back up near 80 again by the new week's end. Anyway...

After hours of trying to create something that would look a bit reasonable, I said "I'm done with this!" I was happy to say that. It will be a long time before I try something like this again.



I was thinking of drawing Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas, I shoulda.

57 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful, Anni. How I wish I had your incredible talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, I gotta say that I think the hands you drew look GREAT! The completed drawing is beautiful! You can actually feel the love from the expressions on their faces.

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ron, thanks. Hope you had a great Sunday too.

      Delete
  3. we are our own worst critics! that is a true statement. to me this is amazing and beautiful. Perfect for the season

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see no flaws, only a lovely rendition of the Nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hands are tough. I always had trouble with noses. I think it's a proportion thing, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely The Reason for the Season.
    Anni its lovely and I'm glad you stuck with it to the end, even if you don't like it.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    It's cold and drippy here this morning. Staying home from church today. Dave isn't feeling so hot. I think he thinks he's Superman sometimes and he's not..Sunday is suppose to be the day of rest, so that's what we are going to do.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a few more photos to my latest blog.

      Delete
    2. Hope your Dave is feeling better today

      Delete
    3. ...okay, I'm on my way for a revisit

      Delete
    4. So grateful that he is..this getting older is not so much fun...

      Delete
    5. The pains show up often!!! I know.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a beautiful Nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are much too hard on yourself - it is truly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love it, and see nothing wrong with the hands! But you could draw one without showing them. Mary's would be under the wrapped blanket. But of course I'm not an artist, maybe that wouldn't look right. Now maybe on to Skellington?! I always love seeing your drawings, they are magical to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stick to a less detailing sketch. Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  11. You did an amazing job and should be proud of your sketch. ( apparently Michelangelo himself spent many hours(days?) trying to draw hands!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,knowing that bit of info, makes me feel less frustrated. Thanks

      Delete
  12. This is beautiful, well done.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes - the true reason for the season. I've said it before, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One Christmas we had just slightly above 50
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful drawing! The hands are done perfectly showing the perfect cradling by Mary. And everything was proportionate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it fantastic Anni! I am always awestruck at those with a talent such as yours. And I believe each artist has certain defining elements that make their works undeniably and unmistakably "theirs." Embrace the hands as your unique trademark. Personally, I think them beautiful. BUT, I truly considered telling you you should have done Jack...only cuz I want to see your rendition of him LOL. Stay warm and cozy....we are still digging out from 10+" of snow on Friday. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack would've been slot EASIER! 😉

      Delete
  17. P.S. I've gotten way behind on my blog visits, and would have liked to read some of your older posts to catch up, but it seems you've made some changes to your blog since my last visit, and there's no longer an option to keep scrolling backwards, or a link that says "view older post."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scroll down on homepage...there is "more posts" link

      Delete
  18. I think it's great. I couldn't even come close to drawing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's amazing. You are definitely too hard on yourself. Those hands look way better than anything I could ever draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just too much erasing toget it done how I did it.

      Delete
  20. You did your best and the finished product is just fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. You incorporated the spirit of the season and that overcomes all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet....thanks for the encouraging words.

      Delete
  21. Love the redddd!

    It is beautiful. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!!!!!

    "Miss B.B."
    🎄⛄🌟🔥🎄🎅🔥🌟⛄🎄

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW I'm almost speechless and that is rare
    Just beautiful
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are a TRUE artist and do amazing work! This is beautiful......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means a lot coming from you! Thanks Linda.

      Delete

Table of Contents