I'm Back to "Day Trippin'"....


As I sit home [on the first day of November] waiting for the bank to open and taking a break from packing October things away getting out November things, I will share some "day trippin'" with you...
Sunday morning, just after sunrise, I drove to a favorite area of mine to check it out. I must admit it's been a LONG time since I was there last. You see, this particular spot is really "all natural". In other words, there is no "city amenities" to be had. The trails are all grass, the ponds are hidden, and the area is very quiet for the nature lover! Thing is, even tho it's owned by the city of Corpus Christi, the pathways are usually a bit unkempt. They rarely get in there beyond the trailhead gate and mow...making the walkways difficult to trek...sometimes knee-high grasses that tangle with each step you take. When I pulled up off the interstate, I noticed the area to park was actually freshly mowed! Would I be lucky enough to have had them mow the trails? I parked, got out, and entered through the gate and climbed the first hill to inspect....it was clear for take off!!! The peace and quiet is worth the stroll through the trees  [very heavily wooded] that are on each side. There, at the end of the trail, is the Nueces River...pretty. And the two ponds...Pollywog Ponds, which I have posted about often.
Of course my first intent was finding and photographing birds in the area. I heard many green jays squawking at that hour, but the buggers kept in the tree canopies and remained there. I also heard and saw cardinals and doves. I usually spot a hawk or two, but zilch on those raptors! By the time I neared the first of the two ponds, the smaller pond, I spied a woodpecker, several kiskadees, a couple of flycatchers. One particular kiskadee flew off a branch just in front of me, and by the time I got the camera focused on it, it had caught a butterfly in mid-air and disappeared from the viewfinder before I could snap the shutter. Oh well! There is always another time, another place! On the large pond, I saw ONE lone bird, an anhinga sunning itself on a fallen tree clear on the OTHER side of the water and one grebe that dived under water as I neared the banks. Figures.
The river current was still as the morning. The sun up, beyond the morning horizon now, and the reflections were dazzling. I enjoyed being there for the couple of hours and once back to the car, I got in and drove up the highway to the Kingsville Texas exit and headed for another park. At that park, I saw a few ducks, one harrier, and one VERY LARGE Belted Kingfisher that was busy hunting down the breakfast she needed! It was fascinating....I hadn't seen a kingfisher in months!

Here are some photos of Pollywog Ponds' Trail [the two with black outline shows the anhinga at a long distance...I did zoom in and got photos for my bird blog]...







The River....



I will schedule this post to publish on Tuesday morning.

54 comments:

  1. How beautiful and peaceful. and the water is as smooth as glass in the gorgeous reflection photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful area and a beautiful morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni,
    Sounds like a nice outing with wonderful bird sightings. It is nice when the grass is mowed, and is much easier to walk. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,. It's so much easier walking.

      Delete
  4. this area looks so much like our emerson point and robinson preserve, both of which you would love. the difference is this civilized it with pathways. i prefer natural. so happy you could get out and wander. i am sure all the birds you named for us love the natural habitat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the all natural too. Easier on the back & legs.

      Delete
  5. Stunning captures, Anni! I love how you caught the reflection of the landscape within the lake. Looked like a beautiful day!

    Oh, and I love your new blog header with the turkey silhouette!

    Happy Tuesday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had time to work on a new header today, so it's changed from when you visited this morning...thanks Ron

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos and so serene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you two!! Glad you came with me.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your new turkey blog header also. Glad you timed it right after mowing. Wonder if volunteers could keep it mowed? Be a good job for a local garden club. Had to smile about the anhinga sunning. That seems to be their major job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they use HUGE construction equipment for mowers.

      Delete
  8. The anhingas (snake birds, lesser cormorants, darters) are a huge nuisance at our lake, and we'd love to get rid of them. They are merciless fishermen and can clear out a place in no time, as well as kill trees with their acidic and prolific droppings. I wish we could send them all your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see that with anhingas. Guess I'm naive

      Delete
  9. Your photos exude a feeling of peace and quiet in nature's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful of course, but I always worry about women alone, walking in deserted areas.

    OK, you know I am a 'worry-wart'!!!!

    -grin-

    “It's so much darker when a light goes out
    than it would have been if it had never shone.”

    🍂🍁🌰🍂🍁🍂🍁🌰🍂🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoyed your peaceful photos. The stillness is pure therapy.
    Love the birds and nature at its finest.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo I like your day tripping :)
    photos .

    ReplyDelete
  13. So wonderful to see all the beautiful scenery in your neck of the woods, Anni. I always enjoy joining you on these outings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I'm glad you come along with me.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful nature area. I think, if you are lucky and the weather cools off, maybe that mowed part will stay pretty short all winter! maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the grass is so high, ticks are bountiful!!

      Delete
  15. A beautiful series of photos captured along the trail! It looks like such a tranquil place to get away from the hustle and bustle. Gorgeous mirror-like reflections as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a most perfect area...if it's passable!! lol

      Delete
  16. The water looks so incredibly tranquil, Anni. How beautiful! Yes, it looks like someone's private property rather than govt. owned land. The lack of kept-ness adds to the mystic though, doesn't it. Gorgeous! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...I like the "no city" landscape most of all.

      Delete
  17. That sounds like a wonderfully peaceful walk with so many different birds!! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a most perfect morning...mild & dry.

      Delete
  18. These are stunning images. The water looks like a mirror and the reflections are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well....I am so very glad you took us along for the trip! beautiful place...beautiful photos. There is so much healing in nature...it can soothe a soul like few things can. You are fortunate to have so many months of "green"...here we had snow yesterday. (Serious Pouting face.) Now I am off to look up some new bird names...cardinals, doves, hawks, woodpeckers, jays (but blue, not green...) I know...but the others are new to me. Obviously we are in 2 very different bird zones LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green jays are only found in Texas I believe...they're very pretty. Google them ( or go to my bird blog & scroll my contents)

      Delete
  20. What a gorgeous place to walk! I love the pond, the greenery... I can almost hear the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love The New Gobble Gobble There - And Capturing Those Elusive Butterflies Are A Challenge For Sure - Happy November Hootin

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sad I haven't seen a bird. I think they move down to your neck of woods.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just looking for them. 😊

      Delete
  23. Sounds like an ideal place to go walking and spend some time.
    Your pictures are all beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks a lovely place to walk, I certainly enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can’t seem to stay connected....oops!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, what a lovely morning! I could sure use one like this. The ponds are so appealing, as is the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come over...you and I can enjoy it together!!

      Delete

Table of Contents