Busy...Kinda Sorta


I've been keeping busy. Birding, finishing up the Halloween packing, putting out the little bits of Autumn/Thanksgiving, weeding the back yard, taking short trips in search of shatterproof BROWN tree ornaments [I saw them last year, but couldn't remember where. I found 'em! At Hobby Lobby], a small amount of birding and even smaller amount of walking. I also ordered a Halloween themed metal sign that had MY NAME on it so to speak. You see, I saw it on The Cranky Crow's blog and went out on Amazon. Found it. Ordered it. According to the seller's tracker, it will be arriving on Friday. I also received a book [I ordered it from Barnes and Noble...cheaper by about $10. Amazon charges an arm and a leg for shipping and handling these days plus tax as Barnes and Noble doesn't charge but tax.] It was delivered, and I read a few chapters already. Can't wait to get deep into the first of the promised trilogy. It's by the author who wrote the best seller WICKED which is now a Broadway musical. Wicked series of his books, I have them all. This one, "The Brides of Maracoor" is about the girl with green skin...Elphaba's granddaughter. Elphaba, for those who don't know, is the wicked witch of the west in Wicked [wizard of oz]. Also, I was glued to FOX Sports this past week for the World Series. Of course, I was rootin' for Houston for the pennant, but wasn't all that disappointed that the Braves won. At least it was a Southern team instead of the east and west coast this year. Let's see, what else? Oh ya, Bud and I set up our jig saw puzzle table for a few weeks. We will tear it down again just before the company comes for Christmas. Cold weather has set in for a while...cold for US. Today as I type this up the wind is strong, had a few raindrops fall and the temp is not supposed to get above 50°. That's downright bone chilling cold for here. If you don't live here, I could compare our temp to the northern side of USA to about 30-35°. Seriously. I know, I grew up in Colorado where the winters are below freezing for days/weeks. This cold is a whole lot different. Anyway, since I'm typing this up on Thursday afternoon to publish tomorrow morning, I best get back to doing chores. I think I'll make some hot steamy potato soup with crusty bread, salad, and for dessert warm apple crisp sounds good.

One more thing, I'll share what little I have for Thanksgiving decor in my next post.
 


Gregory Maguire Wizard of Oz books for adults:
The Wicked Years
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (1995)
    This is the book that started it all! The basis for the smash hit Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, Gregory Maguire's breathtaking New York Times bestseller Wicked views the land of Oz, its inhabitants, its Wizard, and the Emerald City, through a darker and greener (not rosier) lens. Brilliantly inventive, Wicked offers us a radical new evaluation of one of the most feared and hated characters in all of literature: the much maligned Wicked Witch of the West who, as Maguire tells us, wasn’t nearly as Wicked as we imagined.
Son of a Witch (2005)
A Lion Among Men (2008)
Out of Oz (2011)
    Bestselling author Gregory Maguire’s remarkable series, The Wicked Years, comes full circle with this, his fourth and final excursion across a darker, richer, more complex landscape of “the magical land of Oz.” Out of Oz brilliantly reimagines L. Frank Baum’s world over the rainbow as wracked with social unrest—placing Glinda the good witch under house arrest and having the cowardly Lion on the lam from the law as the Emerald City prepares to make war on Munchkinland. Even Dorothy makes a triumphant return in Maguire’s magnificent Oz finale—tying up every loose green end of the series he began with his classic Wicked

    50 comments:

    1. I never put up any Halloween decorations so i won't have anything to tear down until i'm ready to put up Christmas.
      it's been really cold here in the mornings, yesterday was only 36

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Brrrr. Temps like that is not for me.

        Delete
    2. Hello,
      Hubby and I leave a table just for our puzzles. I do not put up decorations, I have a couple of small pre-lit trees for Christmas. We have been having frosty mornings, it does not warm up until 2-3 pm. Have a happy day and a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This table closes up and keeps it undisturbed from cat. lol

        Delete
    3. I'm so glad you got a new book, Anni. New books are always so much fun. It sounds like you've been keeping busy with this-and-that, a little bit of everything. I'd love to see your Thanksgiving decorations when you're ready to show pictures. ~Andrea xoxo

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My Thanksgiving post is coming shortly.

        Delete
    4. You definitely have your hands full with so many tasks at hand. I love books and will never settle for Kindle or any other kind of electronic book. I just wish I could get beyond the first few chapters before I am distracted by something else that needs tackling.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too. I have a Kindle. Old one when they first came out I used it a couple times only. Not for me.

        Delete
    5. Ooooo, Anni, that books looks very good! I'm a big WICKED fan!

      I don't watch sports, however, I'm glad to hear a Southern team won too because in 2008 when the Phillies won the World Series (and when the Eagles won the Super Bowl in 2018), they literally destroyed this city - set cars on fire, torn down traffic lights, smashed windows, turned over city trash cans and threw the trash all over the streets, etc. Philly fans are notorious for being the WORST fans ever, and I'm here tell you...they are. When they win, they destroy stuff, when they lose, they stay quiet. So I'm happy they lost. LOL! *doing the happy dance*

      " I think I'll make some hot steamy potato soup with crusty bread, salad, and for dessert warm apple crisp sounds good."

      Sounds delicious! I did the same a few days ago because it's been cold here too. I made sweet potato soup with lots of veggies and white beans, and paired it with a warm baguette. Yummy!

      Love this time of year. I'm such a Autumn/Winter person.

      Have a great weekend, Anni, and enjoy your book and crossword puzzle!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Potato soup and apple crisp sounds wonderful for a cool autumn day! I always have a jigsaw puzzle going. It's such a wonderful pasttime and many times, it gets me in trouble as I should be doing other more important things☺

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, puzzles and housework/errands don't mix well.

        Delete
    7. It's definitely soup weather here, too. We are dipping into freezing overnight now. October was one long rainy day. November temps are below normal so far, but at least we are seeing some sun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's best when the sun shines. Especially after a long rainy spell.

        Delete
    8. What time is Lunch! :) have a good weekend, 29 this morning,
      but this weekend it will be 70, but then it will fall again ,
      that's what u get when you live in Mo.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Shoot! My potato soup is already devoured and I'll have to settle with New England Clam Chowder. The temp here this AM was 26° - sunny but cccold. I'm checking out recipes to start some serious baking. Getting in the mood for a roasted turkey!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love chowder...Bud doesn't, so it's not on our table.

        Delete
    10. you have once again been busy.. that puzzle looks like a hard one, enjoy! hope you finish before you have to take it down. we are at 64 today headed for 60 on monday and 2 days of 57 next week and that is cold enough for me. you are so right, 50 if freezing to us.. it cuts to the bone... it has been raining since midnight and beau is sick, has throwup/diarrea
      and has to run out in the rain each time, 10 or 12 times in the rain. he is such a good boy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I read Beau's blog...prayers for y'all.

        Delete
    11. Love your new header. I had no horse in the race for the series and since Atlanta is in our division, I am happy for them. Wish they would lose that moaning tomahawk chant though. It got on my nerves.
      We were 30 this AM with frost on the ground but should warm? up to mid 50's. As long as it kills the weeds. I am happy. Never read any of the Wicked series, may give it a try. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, I know what you mean. Don't ask ME what I'd like to do with their chant! But it would go something like "I hope you choke on it".

        Delete
    12. Well, you know I'm just across the "bay" (ha) so temp here is cool too, 60's.. Thats downright chilly because its also wet. But...after an hour or so one sweats. Constantly changing clothes. One has to have gills to live in the sub tropics. Turn on the a/c so mold doesnt grow and freeze. Can't win. Replying to your "you should"... comment last week, I do, occasionally when requested. I just hate marketing. Also commissioned/themed ones. Inexpensive. Did you say potato soup? What time is dinner?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well,I'm happy to know you sell them occasionally. They are super!!

        Delete
    13. new Header. Cute!

      Come up here and take my (few actually) Halloween/Autumn things down, please. >,-)

      Hooray for a great book(s)!!!! I'm getting into my latest book, for which I am happy!

      How we react to temperatures, depends on where we live. It's only natural.

      "Let's go Brandon"
      🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, I never liked cold...even time we were traveling.

        Delete
    14. Along the Gulf Coast, the cold is very peculiar. It is extremely clammy and has a permeating quality to it. I have lived along all 3 coasts and maybe it's the sea air sinking into the bones! But so penetrating in the South especially! I am interested in those brown ornaments -- for next year or for Thanksgiving this year???!!!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Hot Diggity Dog - Enjoy Your Weekend My Dear

      Cheers

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Enjoy the ever-changing beauty in the high country for me!!

        Delete
    16. I was watching the world series too. I'm sorry your team lost but I'm happy for Atlanta too! Now if we can just get the tigers going some time! Take care and happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks... Hope you are having a terrific weekend too!

        Delete
    17. I have been meaning to tell you how much i like your turkey header! You have a really nice jigsaw table. I can't wait to see your Thanksgiving decorations, maybe there will also be a Gnome or two? It's been so cold here, too. but I think the cold this time of year is unusual for Texas?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You guessed it...just one that I bought.

        Delete
    18. It was below freezing last night and is 50 deg. F. today. Enjoyed your post, you've been busy. I do my online puzzles but have ones in a box that I haven't even opened. Good idea to have a separate puzzle table. The book looks good. I have had my few thanksgiving decorations out for a while. off out for a walk in a bit, will have to bundle up more today. Have a great weekend Anni :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hope you had a good walk in the chilly air! Pictures to share?

        Delete
    19. We are working on a puzzle too - haven't spent much time on it though.
      I read Wicked a long time ago and liked it. Haven't read any other books by him though.
      You sure wouldn't like our weather!! : )

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nope, that is why we retired by the Gulf. No cold, no snow!

        Delete
    20. Hi Anni Chilly in Dixie it was 34 this morning. The day has been blustery and overcast.
      All is well here you and your B have a good weekend
      Hugs cecilia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks C...hope your weekend is blissful.

        Delete
    21. I love that header! We lived in France for a year and the winter cold did seep into our bones because of the humidity. The temperatures were a lot higher than our winter temperatures here, but we don't feel the cold nearly as much.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, damp cold is truly cold to the core.

        Delete
    22. Yay!!! So glad you found the sign! Do share when it arrives as I have not seen the metal version...mine is a framed print. Potato soup and crusty bread...YUMMM.... The ONLY thing good about the drop in temps is that it heralds the official start of soup season. I.Love.Soup!!! Any kind as long as it's homemade. (And bread is involved LOL). Puzzles....have always puzzled me. I am not good at them and I do not enjoy them. The books sound intriguing...I love all things oz...but would have to overcome "leaving" the baum version of things...if ya know what i mean. ~Robin~

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It came yesterday. Will share soon.

        Delete
    23. YAY for new books that turn out to be interesting AND have sequels.
      We used to do lots of puzzles but I can't see well enough any more and I don't care to do one on my computer. Anyway, I enjoy reading more. I'm curious to see brown ornaments. Rustic?

      ReplyDelete
    24. Funny thing..I keepmthinkinhg I will make potato soup. And I keep thinking I will start a puzzle. I have done neither.

      ReplyDelete

    Table of Contents