He's Got a List...and Checking It Twice!!


At sunrise, I was getting prepared to go to town along the seawall; a car trip over Ocean Drive, parallel to the coastline.  The Rotary Club and several other institutions recognize veterans in a special way. It's quite impressive to see. The first time, years past, I went to view the tribute, there were maybe 50-75 flags in one park only, unfurled with each flag dedicated to a certain veteran of wars/peace time. I try to go each year. This year, a couple days ago, I drove there with intentions of taking photos as I walked. But, to my surprise, the flags display started at ONE park and continued through 4 more seaside parks....my estimation is 1000s of flags! Each separate flag dedicated to an individual. The flags are purchased for $50 to raise money and help those who served our country. I was in awe. I took a few photos, but this is just a minimal effort....


At the first park I pulled off and didn't park, I just sat in my car and viewed a bit. I was a bit speechless. I knew there'd be more further down the street, closer to town. I left shortly and followed the traffic flow to another...surprised at how many I'm seeing! Then, another park! Still more flags. The scene was a spectacle and humbling! Finally I stopped at the 'main' coastline park and got out and walked along the trail.
Leaving from my morning walk, it was becoming overcast, and I had other stops to make before heading home. Before I reached the car the sky was painted gray yet the sun persisted...


I stopped at the nearest Dollar Tree, but didn't find much. Across the street, there is a Walmart. I still had to get some bananas for lunch [my potassium supplement]. Once in the parking lot I noticed a LOT of police vehicles up front. My first thought was a shoplifter caught. Then, what with things going on these days I thought "Should I go in or stop somewhere else". There was no commotion or lights flashing. Nothing roped off, no stand off scene, and other shoppers were coming out and going in. Okay. Safe! I bagged my bananas and then, just 'cause I'm a fanatic, I headed to the holiday shopping area. As I walked through the aisles, I notice the cops!!!! They were everywhere. Each had a cart and a list. Their carts were filled. Aha! This too is a tradition here in Corpus. The police department play holiday angels to those in need....children [poor, orphans, foster homes]. I stopped and asked the one in my aisle if I could take his photo for my blog. He permitted me to snap a photo. I asked how many he is shopping for and he said three. "All girls". Later as I walked further, I spied another officer...she was talking to herself. I had to laugh inwardly. Then I saw some holiday leggins and first blogger I thought of was Sandra. She shops frequently at Walmart and wears those comfortable leggins with ease and style. I thought these would be perfect with a long plain red top. With her complexion and fun demeanor, these would be great. Even if she wouldn't wear them anywhere, they'd make a wonderful set of lounging pjs or part of Christmas Eve wardrobe!! She'd look mahvelous, don't you think?!



When I got back home, Isaiah was happy to see me.

55 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how amazing all those flags must have looked and I think the word humbling describes perfectly the feeling one must get when seeing them.
    What a wonderful thing for the police to do. everyone should have a little joy at Christmas.
    Yep, those leggings would be perfect for Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do the same for each new school year. At that time, they shop WITH the kids.

      Delete
  2. "The flags are purchased for $50 to raise money and help those who served our country. I was in awe."

    Oh, Anni, that's WONDERUL! I'm very much in support of our veterans who served (and honor those who continue to serve) our country. I feel the same about our police force and fire-fighters. I applaud them.

    You captured some GREAT flag shots! And love your capture of the policeman with the shopping cart. "The police department play holiday angels to those in need....children [poor, orphans, foster homes]. " That is so sweet!

    Isaiah is such a handsome boy! Aren't cats the best?

    Have a fabulous day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, you and I think the same! Yes Isaiah is a handsome one.

      Delete
  3. you are right, this whole post makes me feel lifted up, from the flags to the shopper policemen and then the christmas leggins.. a joyful post and also the reminder to think of our veterans.. great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist photographing those leggings.

      Delete
    2. I have never owned a dishwasher. there was a time i wanted one but with just two of us and we don't entertain so no need for one

      Delete
    3. Here, we have a dishwasher, but never use it.

      Delete
  4. What a marvelous post showing all the best in people. Honoring our servicemen and women plus the police doing their "serving" part. Gives one a warm feeling. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate those giving!! In many ways.

      Delete
  5. I also feel uplifted by your wonderful post. May all who served rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is special place in our hearts for the men and women who have served our country. Our little town has been hanging banners all year throughout the streets of town with locals and their photos, which service they were a part of and other pertinent information. now a video has been made of them all! Your post is certainly a reminder of so many other's service and a wonderful tribute. Love the police officer's smile!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QzswnoHFB24&fbclid=IwAR2IXZsZobcpkolQJMhOdxNEDZhPyFTyvyG3XWCLXDIC0vdhRgEC59huxV8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome...thanks for the link.

      Delete
  7. The flags are just beautiful and we thank all the men and women who have served and kept us safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty & makes you give thanks to those.

      Delete
  8. This post!

    All I can say is...!

    It's because you live in TEXAS!!!!!!!

    -smmmmmmile-

    🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what that means "you live in Texas"

      Delete
  9. How awesome the flags are! and what is the building with the arched door and wondows? I really like the style of it. Yes, the first thing I thought of with the leggins was The Mad One. I think they would make great P.J.'s! Did you buy anything else after the bananas? I have been to W.M. several times looking for gnomes, but nothing so far. Seems like most things are sitting out in the ocean on a slow boat from China. I wish Biden would order the National Guard to unload and drive the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact I found the kind of Christmas ornaments I've been looking for!! The building is a home.

      Delete
  10. I love the red truck, I would wear them, will have to look for a pair
    you got some cool shot. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing all those flags really touched my heart! Thank you so much for sharing this experience! I need to find some of those leggings! Sandra has made a Lover of Leggings out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless our police officers everywhere... especially those who shop for kids at Christmas! And how beautiful those pictures are, that remember Veteran's Day in such a profound way!! god bless those who did that too! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous sunrise that you've captured! Have you ever had photos printed and framed? The flag displays are always a sight to be seen. We also have a similar tradition at Village Hall where we have "Shop with a Cop" and the items are donated to children in need. Always a treat to see a charismatic smile in the aisles. : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have framed my bird photos!!

      Delete
  14. What an uplifting post...the flags, the police, and the leggings for Sandra. Thank you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh Isaiah is a gorgeous cat. What we used to call a "Tabby-point" Siamese. I am humbled by all those flags, our BEAUTIFUL flag, flying in support of those who served. Patriotism is NOT DEAD and I praise the Lord for it! Great snap of that police officer -- they are certainly under fire but the GOOD apples do so much, and the BAD apples spoil it for all, such a shame. I agree, our Madsnapper could wear those leggins and look great in them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Must have been awesome to see all those flags. I'm sure I would have had tears in my eyes.
    What a wonderful thing for the police officers to be doing. It makes my heart happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeing all those flags must be touching to say the least. What a special thing for the cops to do. Yes, Sandra would look great in those leggings,me not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Seeing all those flags had to be so touching.
    I love what the police are doing there.
    Isaiah is one good looking cat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...just WOW!! I guess it is true what they say about everything being bigger in Texas....the celebrations, patriotism, and hearts included. Those flags are wonderful...what an incredible tribute. Truly enjoyed your photos of them, as well as of that gorgeous sunrise...and the wonderful palm tree. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  20. As usual I'm about the last one to check in here. I agree that this is a great post. Restores one's faith in humanity in general and heaven knows that needs restoring.
    ( I'm glad you identified that lovely building as a private home. I wondered what it could be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's good to be found, if we look for it. (Instead of watching news). And yes, the homes along here are all "fancy".

      Delete
  21. Oh, that with the flags...leaves me with tears just hearing about it..even before I started seeing your pics. Those leggings would be wonderful for Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty humbling for me too. I was awestruck.

      Delete
  22. All those flags! Love it! a beautiful thing to see for sure! How wonderful of the cops to do that. They do something like that around here, too. Mostly in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure a lot of first responders do the same, all over USA

      Delete
  23. Hi Anni, such a glorious sunrise :) That’s a marvelous tribute put on by the Rotary Club. All those flags must have been an amazing sight to see with your own eyes. Your photos are great! It’s also very touching that the money goes to helping our veterans. I am so glad you shared about all those police officers and what they were doing there. As the daughter of one I am always happy to hear these stories, always very uplifting! And yes, I love to see Sandra in her leggings and she would look great in these. Wonderful post Anni! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!! Seeing the flags makes my heart smile. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    I also enjoyed hearing about your local police shopping for those in need.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this little bit of local news Carla

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. Today we look thru rose colored glasses and appreciate our surroundings.

      Delete
  26. In our town, not only do the officers shop with the children, our local newspaper has a huge box at their offices so that people can drop off toys and gifts for kids in need. We also have a Coats For Kids drive in the greater Cleveland area that supplies warm coats for children who need one. Their boxes are all over in malls and other public places so that they are easy for people to drop off a new or gently used coat. The good things happening are out there if people take the time to look.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents