Día de los Muertos...


Since the 1960s I have been observing the Day of the Dead. You see, I had a 'best friend' through high school that was of Mexican descent, and she taught me many things about this special time of celebrating and honoring those of family that have passed on...It's NOT Halloween as many think. [3 days from Oct 31st through November 2nd]   It is a loving tradition!! A way of respecting those that have left us behind. Tho traditionally it's a Mexican observance, lately, it has become part of many cultures throughout the world. Anyway, last year -2020- Mattel Toy Company came out with a Barbie Doll dressed in the customary costume. Our local news [and national] had segments on the doll. Barbie was beautiful! And perfect. I wanted one. I went to all the stores the next day and into the entire week afterward and all was "sold out". My last resort was online purchase...same thing: "Sold Out"!! Sunday, coming back from my morning walk [around 8 a.m.] I stopped at the HEB [Texas Grocery Chain] for lunch and the needed bottled water. Naturally, I went down the seasonal aisle to check out what decorations they had stocked for Halloween, and lo and behold, there was the 2021 [!!!] version of Día de los Muertos [day of the dead] Barbie!! Tho, it isn't as pretty as the 2020, I had to have one by god. But, they were locked up tighter than a drum. I had to find a clerk...he said "I have to unlock them, and take her to the cashier for you. There is a limit one per customer". He also told me the cashier number where I was to go to pay for it. They're NOT cheap. By the way the 2020 Barbie online this year through Amazon, eBay, etc. are from $200 to selling for over $800!! I would still like having the 2020, but not for those prices. Okay...so, I got the Barbie 2021. And then, when I got home I told Bud that Ken, the Catrin [females are Catrina], will be out in a few days. He said "you'd better get there early if you want one". I was there just after the store opened, and he was locked up where Barbie once stood! I  went through the same routine, and this time, the cashier I was directed to go to told me that they sell out fast. That day, Barbie was sold out, but I Got him.  Now I have both male and female.


The Animated Movie COCO [about Day of the Dead ...I give it 5*s]
The History of Day of the Dead
Spanish Terms associated with Day of the Dead HERE

    from the history channel...
    The Day of the Dead (el Día de los Muertos), is a Mexican holiday where families welcome back the souls of their deceased relatives for a brief reunion that includes food, drink and celebration. A blend of Mesoamerican ritual, European religion and Spanish culture, the holiday is celebrated each year from October 31- November 2. While October 31 is Halloween, November 1 is “el Dia de los Inocentes,” or the day of the children, and All Saints Day. November 2 is All Souls Day or the Day of the Dead. According to tradition, the gates of heaven are opened at midnight on October 31 and the spirits of children can rejoin their families for 24 hours. The spirits of adults can do the same on November 2.

50 comments:

  1. so are these the new Barbie & Ken? they look so real!! i am sure they will continue to be worth more and more. real collectors items for sure. Who would have ever thought you found them in a grocery store?? Your history link was very good, and I subscribed to their newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their traditional honoring the dead is of interest to me. And, yep...a grocery store. Of course, this store is like Costco & Walmart...having most anything besides groceries.

      Delete
  2. WOW that's pretty expensive for the 2020 version. I like both of these in the pictures. Just love the way the faces are painted and Barbie's dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too expensive in my opinion. I also have the Barbie "Rose" from titanic & she is now selling online for hundreds!

      Delete
  3. The Day of the Dead is also known as All Souls Day. It's a Catholic holiday and not a Mexican one.... it's just that most Hispanic folks are devout Catholics. :-) All Souls Day is November 2nd... and All Saints Day is November 1st. Another phrase for "All Saints" is "All Hallows"... and Halloween is really "All Hallows Eve", thus where they got the name for Halloween. More than you probably wanted to know, eh? *lol* Love~ Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually has Aztec origins (central Mexico). And, I disagree, it's not just Catholic.

      Delete
  4. Anni, I am SO happy for you! You got them BOTH! Yippeeee! And I have to say that they are beautiful. I love how colorful they are. And thanks so much for sharing the history of The Day of the Dead (el Día de los Muertos) because I found it so interesting. As you know, I have a friend who lives in Texas, whose husband is Mexican. And yet, in all the years of knowing them, I didn't know the specifics of the holiday.

    Really enjoyed this! Have an awesome day and enjoy Barbie and Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep them boxed up for our children to inherit, lol. Thanks Ron.

      Delete
  5. just checked and walmart has the ken for 126.91 and target and lots of places have them for different prices. 300 for the 2 on ebay. yowsa! so this means you will not put them out to view? i saw the comment above. i knew some of this but not all.. and had no idea the dolls existed. but i don't go to seasonal aisle or toy dept so how would i know unless a blogger tells me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will remain boxed but displayed as you see them here. Unwrapped & new condition is more or less priceless to collectors.

      Delete
  6. I have watched the movie Coco several times because it's about that day and is so uplifting. Congratulations on your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of having a reunion with our departed. so glad you got your Barbie and Ken but was stunned at what those dolls can go for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. After watching it, a person feels blessed. At least I do.

      Delete
  9. It's astonishing how much these collectibles go for, isn't it? Worth it for those who love them, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it could be worth it if you "need" it to complete a "set".

      Delete
  10. Oh Anni what a fun post. I love learning new things and meeting new friends.
    You were very lucky to have a friend as early as high school who could teach you new traditions from their culture. All of my friends in h.s. had the same background as I did.

    I will never forget back in the mid 1970's when my husband, daughter and and I were invited to participate in Hanukkah with our neighbors . It was quite memorable and educational.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is several days of observance. A week?

      Delete
  11. Well, I love that you continue to celebrate this holiday. My daughter celebrated it in high school with observant friends and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something to learn with this observation and festivities...but, this year (2nd year) there will be no close contact etc. Because of COVID & variants.

      Delete
  12. "The early bird gets the worm" -smile-

    thank you for the information. I never knew anything about it.

    🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
  13. No thank you. We think they're kind of scary looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you two have many backing you up!

      Delete
  14. I am always very interested in traditions from other countries and you explained this one beautifully. Thanks anni! happy to see you got the suitably dressed barbie and ken. i bought my niece a barbie doll every year for her birthday since she started taking an interest in them. i wonder if she knows she is sitting on a goldmine now? a lot of the ones bought wore designer clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Does she have them on display?

      Delete
    2. I will have to ask her as she is my niece in germany and I haven't been over in a few years, though we were in Alaska together in 2018. I think they were more my sister's love, though I could be mistaken. Sister loved them and had them on display for years before she passed. They gave her a lot of pleasure. She also collected porcelain shoe figurines.

      Delete
    3. p.s. my sister would have loved your collections :)

      Delete
  15. Fascinating. I didn't know the history and thought it was an Halloween thing. Glad you were able to get the new ones for this year. Nice display.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, long ago. In fact the more I learn, the more I appreciate the celebrating.

      Delete
  16. I sure do understand wanting something so badly and the feeling of glee when you finally get it! The colors and designs on their outfits are wonderful. Yes, I already know about the tradition and history of the Day of the Dead and find these collectible dolls very nice. Glad you were able to find and buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was elated today the least. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  17. I'm so happy for you that you got both of those Barbies but they are not my 'thing' at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And Halloween Is Right Around The Corner - So Ready

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m so happy for you! ❤️😊

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you for getting both! They are really incredible, I wouldn't have known they were Ken and barbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why they're unique? I'm not big on Barbies, so don't know.

      Delete
  21. Of course, being just a few miles from the Mexican border, we have DOTD here, mainly the gorgeous altars (aka ofrendas) in the homes. And a lot of praying the rosary in the cemeteries. I got several items at the Cracker Barrel for my ofrenda. They have really cute S&P shakers in the style of the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just commented on my blog, in reply to your question.....
    ........................................................................................................................

    HOOTIN' ANNIE:

    Brady’s magic number is 67.

    Recently retired quarterback. Drew Breeze. The current NFL Passing Yards leader is 80,358 yards. Tom Brady is currently second with 80,291 yards. That means Brady only needs 67 yards to become an all-time leader in yards.
    ................................................................................................................................................................

    Thank you so much, for knowing about this, and commenting it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also love Day of the Dead. I think I'll pass on the Barbie's and Ken's though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean,...no dolls for you? What a shame! (Kidding)

      Delete
  24. I had no idea about the Barbie...and thanks for explaining The Day of The Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the news segment here, I wouldn't have known about Barbie either.

      Delete

Table of Contents