Since a lot of bloggers are sharing recipes, I thought I'd do a post for one I've made for decades, and it is simply put...too easy. Anymore, I look for less time consuming dishes to prepare meals for just the two of us. And when I do make the main entree, I make sure I make enough for at least two left-over meals. This one is simple. I don't measure when I cook...I've been cooking since childhood with my mom, and know a 1/2 cup just by sight. Ask Bud, he's tested me before. No measuring, less dishes!! As my title says, it's only one skillet involved; after the pasta is cooked in boiling water that is. And it's not an exact science to preparing...personal preferences are expected. If you like onion, add more! More chicken? Add more. Don't want meat...that's okay too. Like noodles instead of rigatoni? Fine.And it's really good. Just like spaghetti, it gets better and better when reheated. As I make this, when done, it will serve 8 easily!!
Here's what you need:
Chicken Stroganov
Cooked , drained Pasta [cover and set aside]
Salt and freshly ground peppercorns for taste.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat, add chopped onion and stir until onion is tender and translucent. Add drained mushrooms. Stir well. Lower heat. Add chopped chicken. Stir in soup - mix - slowly add [while stirring] the sour cream and seasoning. Add cooked pasta, mix thoroughly...
Simmer until well heated.
In skillet, refrigerate mixture until serving. I use small, individual serving bowls...scoop up an individual serving for each. Place skillet back in refrigerator for another day. [will be good for 2-3 days! No more cooking for 3 days!!] Top individual bowls with a circle of provolone cheese. Reheat in microwave for 2-3 minutes [depending on wattage of microwave and amount in bowl]...at least until the cheese is melted.
Also, can be a meal eliminating the chicken! We've had it meatless before, and it's just as good. I serve with pickled beets and tossed salad. And white wine. 😊
...and to continue showcasing my Trolls...
↓ My 21st Troll Share ↓
Holiday Themed Coloring Eggs Easter circa: 80s? |

I have just printed this, and am going to make it! Of course, I already have everything on hand. I always have many cans of Costco's canned chicken. This may be my favorite Troll so far, so cute!
ReplyDeleteWe have canned chicken in stock during hurricane season.
DeleteThanks so much for this tasty sounding recipe. The troll is so cute!
ReplyDeleteHope you try it sometime & let me know if it was to your liking.
Deletethis is so easy I don't even need to print the recipe, and it can be made to our own taste... mother used to do meals like this, but she made the white sauce with flour or cornestarch and used chicken or burger and different types of pasta... thanks for sharing this
ReplyDeleteI never cared for white sauce...when mom would make it, it tasted like salted paste. lol
DeleteYummers! I need to make this!
ReplyDeleteHope you try it. Molly, I know you'd like it!!
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteWe have used this same recipe with ground beef, the chicken sounds good too.
Thanks for the recipe, have a happy day!
I'd prefer chicken over beef.
DeleteThanks so much for sharing the recipe. Looks DEEEElicious! And being that I'm Italian, I love anything with pasta. In fact, I made a veggie pasta salad last night for dinner. You're right, it's even better the next day.
ReplyDeleteLove your troll!
I love pasta too. Does that make me Italian? (Just kidding). My favorite is lasagna!!
DeleteYummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe Anni. I've made something very similar but I think I used chicken meatballs in mine if I remember correctly. This is definitely one of those that would be even better leftover. Love the Easter Troll. :)
ReplyDeleteMeatballs...beef or poultry has just never appealed to me. It loses the flavor of the savory meat chunks.
DeleteSounds very familiar. We called it "Hodge-Podge" and used cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom. Always good, always easy.
ReplyDeleteI like the reference of hodge podge.
DeleteI have most of the ingredients on hand but need to pick up a few more. Will try it for sure. I like cooking ahead.
ReplyDeleteYes, cooking ahead & reheating makes dinner chores much easier... Make it when I still have morning energy. 😄
DeleteYour recipe sounds dee-licious, Anni... and your little Easter troll is so sweet. I love that big delicate bow in her hair! We're like you... the easier the meal, the more we like it. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYes indeed ...simple, yet wholesome.
DeleteSounds good and easy and it is so nice to have left overs for another meal.
ReplyDeleteI do like leftovers and thankfully so does Bud.
DeleteA simple recipe with delicious results! We also make more than is necessary so that there are leftovers. Some extended family members detest leftovers, which we will never understand.
ReplyDeleteI can't understand it either. In my opinion, leftovers are better than the 1st time.
Delete1 skillet and 30 min.!!! Perfect!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I really need easy summer recipes! And to plan ahead. And have left-overs!
"During this heatwave,
please remember to dress
for the body you have,
not the body you want."
- Unknown
🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿
Summer recipes and also for me, a lazy winter day recipe. lol
DeleteSounds quick and easy... may try (but without the mushrooms - love them, but cause migraine for me in my old age). Could use chicken soup I suppose. Love onions (might add garlic), and we use a lot of white chicken meat... and any kind of cheese, maybe even some bacon sprinkled on top? I usually make enough for 2 nights too... DH won't go a third, but I will.
ReplyDeleteI've even added hopped black olives!! (Black olives? Maybe that's not politically correct these days ...I should say RIPE olives!)
DeleteYum, thank you for sharing. :-)
ReplyDelete😊🐔😊
DeleteThat's making me hungry! And I'm with you about leftovers. The flavors have a chance to mingle.
ReplyDeleteYes, much more flavor.
DeleteThat does sound good. By this stage in my life, easy is always good.
ReplyDeleteMe too. Nothing elaborate, just simple & tasty.
DeleteThat's my kind of recipe too. Take the basic which in this case is the pasta, and add whatever you have on hand, some mushroom soup and lots of cheese....Voila!
ReplyDeleteYou and me both...lots of cheese.
DeleteWow, that sounds delicious and pretty easy, too. I will have to try it. Thanks! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt is very easy, and pretty good too! Better reheated.
DeleteThis sounds so good! I saved it. Cute troll!
ReplyDeleteI hope you try it & like it!
DeleteOh my, this sounds really good. I like just about anything that has chicken in it.
ReplyDeleteMe too!!!
DeleteI don't measure either.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Does that say something?
DeleteSounds yummy in the tummy :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet bird. I am a bird watcher too. In the mountains where I recently moved to, I see the Quail all the time in my front yard. It is California's state bird, and they are so funny to watch with their feather on top of their head. I also see the Robin and the precious Mourning Doves. I hear them in the distance all the time, and I love their cooooo sound. Your Chicken Stroganov sounds delicious. I love pasta, and eat it at least once a week.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting. It's nice to meet new blog friends.
~Sheri
We used to have Gambel'sQuail in our yard in Tucson!!
Delete