We have a rain gauge in our back yard. It measures 6 inches of rain. Last week when the heavy rains poured from the sky, it was full within a couple hours. I went out in a break from the rain, and emptied it...yes, 6 inches full. By the time the rain bands ended Friday night, it was another 5 inches measured. That means in the week of July 7th during one day, we received eleven inches. No wonder it flooded. The worst part was the sewer system in and around the Coastal Bend; it wasn't working...it wasn't draining fast enough. We couldn't run water from the faucets or flush toilets. What a mess. The river and creeks were above flood stage, and the ground is still filled with puddles here and there. In the dark, I went out on the porch by the street light, and stood in about an inch or rain...the rain water was headed to the garage and the front stoop!! And no, we don't live in a flood plain, but when we get inches of rain in 30 minutes' downpour, the drainage system bogs down and water floods the streets..then into the yard and if it continues, into the garage and through the doors to the house. These photos are taken about an hour to two hours of heavy rain. Before it finished that day, it was about 6 inches from our garage...
1] just before sunrise, 2] looking from our front porch to street. 3] our sidewalk and submerged mail box, --there is a street below the water, and 4] across the street, downed tree on corner.




In the meantime, I decided to do another sketch. Long ago, I spotted this online and when I see something that is of possible interest in drawing what I see, I saved it. This one was just irresistible. I had to try it. It made me smile. A smile much needed in these still trying times with economy, lack of government assistance and those scientific "break thrus" that really mean nothing, since one break thru changes over just a few days' time. And the news...oh the news, don't get me started. Okay...anyway: This time, it was total fun; eye lashes and all!! And, admittedly, the easiest and quickest drawing I've ever done. Just lines and round circles. Very little shading, and literally "quick on the draw"...
Named her - "Ostraleah" aka Ostralia



In the meantime, I decided to do another sketch. Long ago, I spotted this online and when I see something that is of possible interest in drawing what I see, I saved it. This one was just irresistible. I had to try it. It made me smile. A smile much needed in these still trying times with economy, lack of government assistance and those scientific "break thrus" that really mean nothing, since one break thru changes over just a few days' time. And the news...oh the news, don't get me started. Okay...anyway: This time, it was total fun; eye lashes and all!! And, admittedly, the easiest and quickest drawing I've ever done. Just lines and round circles. Very little shading, and literally "quick on the draw"...
Ostrich Facts of Interest:
1] Ostriches have the largest eyes of all terrestrial animals. Their eyes are even bigger than their brains.
2] Ostriches have three stomachs. In addition to these stomachs, they also have an extremely long intestine, which takes 36 hours to digest food.
3] They have a long and sharp two-toed claw that is capable of killing a predator as dangerous and strong as a lion.
4] A newborn ostrich baby can be as big as a chicken.
source
Will continue with trolls next post.

Your sketch is totally brilliant, I love it!!! I thought I knew quite a bit about ostriches, but not these facts! Oh my gosh, the flood!! I sure hope the water abates quickly!
ReplyDeleteFlooding rains have stopped. Thanks Ginny
DeleteYikes - that is way too much rain! Love your ostrich drawing!
ReplyDeleteToo much, and then, months later, too little rain. Figures.
DeleteThanks M&M
Holy high waters. That's a lot of rain. Glad that it didn't make it into your house.
ReplyDeleteThat ostrich sketch is adorable. I love it.
Thanks Ann
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteOh wow, the flooded streets looks awful. You are having a lot of rain there, we could use some more here. Love the Ostrich, great sketch. Take care, enjoy your day!
Thanks Eileen.
DeleteI love-love-love your sketch, Anni! Your ostrich is adorable! But all your flooded land is surely NOT!! I've been hearing on the news about your rain and you came to mind each & every time. Lord have mercy, I hope that rain stops for you folks! The weather all around the country is weird, if you ask me. We've had such COLD temps up here in Indiana... many days don't get out of the 60s... for the middle of July!! Crazy! I'll look forward to another troll tomorrow. Take good care, my friend. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteIt has now stopped...and sunshine returns! Thanks Andrea.
DeleteI used to live in Florida, where we had some of the most intense rain storms, which would flood our streets, but nothing like what you pictured here. WOW! The issue with a place like Florida is that it's a flat state so when it rains, nothing drains. The rain just sits there.
ReplyDeleteLove your Ostrich drawing. It's STELLAR! They have the cutest face, don't they?
There are the same happenings here. Thanks Ron
DeleteAn adorable sketch! With its minimalist design, it is still very recognizable. I hope the water recede quickly and return to normal soon.
ReplyDeleteJust muggy & buggy now. 😊
DeleteThanks Steven.
If only you could send that rain out west! Sigh. Cute sketch.
ReplyDeleteSo true, so true.
DeleteWow, that sure is a lot of rain Anni! I sure hope it stays back enough that it doesn't make it under your doors! I love your sketch, it's adorable and very interesting facts too, I didn't know any of those things!
ReplyDeleteI was amazed at the length of their intestines!!
DeleteSo sorry you are having such flooding problems but grateful it didn't come in the house. Not being able to flush got my attention. So bizarre, you have standing water and the west is on fire.
ReplyDeleteLove your ostrich and also those facts. All new to me.
It's gone...but, what's worse is the bugs now!!
DeleteI love it I love it I love it and then again I say I love it I'm talking about the ostrich and I love the name to! I do not love all the water that I see you in your street. Our 12 in in one week actually it was in 3 days did that to other parts of our city but not to us. The thing is yours was not a tropical storm or hurricane and you got flooded hours that was a hurricane we got one in and hardly any rain at all it was going to be a direct hit but was not the weather has gone wild and I agree with you about the news for world is quite mad
ReplyDeleteI just made one similar drawing using picmonkey and touch screen, may I use yours with a link to this post ? and if not that is fine, will just link to post so they can see yours.. i spent an hour PLAYING in PM trying to do one like yours.
DeleteNo problem...have fun!
Delete💛
DeleteBy the way...thanks, Sandra.
DeleteWater invasions into homes are AWFUL! Glad you didn't have it run in and through your home. We did - one time - Drying out and cleaning up was the pits. Your sketch is awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe had garage flooding a few years ago. Not fun at all.
Deleteyou can reply here, and i clciked notify me
ReplyDeleteI replied over at Mad Snapper. 🤪
DeleteWowie..that's too, too much rain! Glad it didn't get into your garage and further... It seems our weather goes from one extreme to another..yesterday it hit 109F today I think it's suppose to only get to 102F..that will be a relief, especially for sleeping.
ReplyDeleteLove, love,Love your sketch...those eyes...so simple lines and circles but so engaging.
Sue
Here too...one week, floods, next week...no rain & the beginning of a drought.
DeleteI did a MOAN, about rain today.
ReplyDeleteBut I should not MOAN!!!!
You have real problems.
Do hope it starts to recede.
Very cute sketch.
"I want to have a little house with sunshine on the floor, A chimney with a rosy hearth, and lilacs by the door..." ~Nancy Bird Turner
🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿🌼🌿
Thanks!
Delete'tis a whole new meaning of "when it rains, it pours".
I love that sketch! But oboy what a lot of rain you've had! Could you send some our way?
ReplyDeleteYou can have our share, next time!
Deletesorry about the rain , it's rain here now.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the drawing .
take care
Hope it doesn't flood where you're at...thanks Jel.
Deleteif it ever flooded were our house sits it would be Ark time.
Deleteit does flood around us some times and at times we are stuck at home.
take care.
Biblical, flooding?
Deleteyes, we live high up enough that it would take that much rain.
DeleteIt seems that from one end of this country to the other, it's ether too much rain or not enough.
ReplyDeleteYessriree
DeleteHey Anni...your photos of all the rain are crazy. We have had way too much but not like TX and oh do I wish I could send it to the West. thank you for stopping by today. Thankfully the endodontist visit was just an evaluation and his evaluation was the tooth is healthy and probably the crown just needed to settle in some more and possibly have another bite adjustment.
ReplyDeleteOh and as I turned on my street there were 5 turkey vultures in the middle feasting on something. They are truly natures food disposal. They left not a trace of whatever it was. I thought I wish I had my camera 5 vultures at one time was a sight. I just used my mind's eye.
hugs to you and your guyz
Cecilia
No cellphone pictures of the vultures?!
DeleteOh What is up with all the black empty space on the left side of your blog.
ReplyDeleteProbably bloggers handiwork. Meant to say Ostraleah's sketch is amazing.
I moved sidebar to below posts. Now, only post appear when my blog opens
DeleteSorry about all the rain you're receiving. I moan about how dry it is here but having such a surplus of rain is worse than drought. Couldn't we have a happy medium!! Here's hoping you get sunshine very soon.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great sketch of Ostraleah.
Thanks. Yes, rain one day a week..
Delete70°. Sun the rest of the week. Perfection
Oh my goodness, that sure is a lot of rain in just a short time. Sounds like a real mess!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was until it stopped and drained.
DeleteOh wow! The drawing! Now I am in love with ostriches...especially baby ones. That's a lot of rain in a short time. So glad the water never made it to the garage.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary 😊
DeleteWow! That is a lot of water! I hope it goes down quickly.
ReplyDeleteThe ostrich is just adorable!
Thanks Mari.
DeleteI'm so sorry about all that rain! Kaitlin and Torben had problems driving back to Massachusetts because it was raining so hevily.
ReplyDeleteI love that ostrich! Those are my favorite kinds of drawings, not overly detailed and very expressive.
I couldn't resist drawing this. Thanks.
DeleteWhat A Lovely Sketch There - Float On There My Dear - Float On
ReplyDeleteCheers
Thanks Travis
DeleteLOL on the red info. About 1/2 of that applies to me. LOL
ReplyDeleteExcitement in Raleigh we have a young black bear up a tree located in the parking lot of a huge hospital. Which is near a trail we walk on a lot. Wildlife and Police are on sight protecting the area the plan is to wait it out.
I suspect it will need to be relocated way away from this area. too populated.
Hugs Cecilia
Just as long as it's not fatally shot.
DeleteGosh, too much rain! I remember watching water creep up towards the house in New Orleans, and sometimes into it (ugh). Just too much rain falling on your community, too quickly. Saturation! I love that ostrich drawing! Adorable even though I understand the birdies themselves can be touchy!
ReplyDeleteYa, they do make angry birds.
DeleteOh my goodness, that's a lot of rain.
ReplyDeleteLove your ostrich sketch and the fun facts, most of which were new to me.