A Long Awaited Visit...


Erik is back in Houston. We had a good time visiting. It was much needed I think...for us all. Naturally, we ate too much and got little exercise...playing games, cards, etc. Of course both of the guys used me as a "dummy hand". In other words, they cheat. lol [just kidding]. But, all the games we DID play, I don't think I won one. Gin Rummy, Hearts, Uno [a newer version, which is quite different than the old version], and Quadruple Scrabble [instead of triple word score there are four squares of quadruple word score] - a larger playing board and a longer game. This shown above is Erik's tiles at one point; he persevered tho and didn't exchange them.  Of course, Bud won that. I didn't make the pumpkin pie for him as I planned. He told us about a place in Houston that has blackberry cobbler 'to die for' delicious. His words exactly "freaking delicious". So, I opted to make him a cobbler with blackberries instead. Personally, I'd much rather have made a pie, but the guys loved the cobbler!!  I made brownie points with both.

One morning, after sitting at the table playing Uno most of the day the day before, I got up from a night's sleep and felt I just HAD to get outdoors and walk.  It was cloudy, had sprinkled before sunrise.  But, Erik and I went out anyway.  The weather didn't cooperate much while we walked the seawall area.  We had planned on walking at the island jetty but that was nixed since a tragedy had occurred overnight -I was awakened around 11 pm to the sound of helicopters and planes flying low over our house.  I knew it had to be Coast Guard at that hour!!...two teen brothers were caught in a rip current in the Gulf.  One was rescued, the other older brother's body was found two days later, drowned.  The area where we planned to walk was cordoned off for a body search at the time.  I can't help but feel the pain the parents/family are going through this whole time.  Sad.  People just don't realize how dangerous rip currents are.  You just can't get out of them for the panic mode most fall into when they find out they're trapped.  

Anyway, at the seawall, it was misting the whole time.  Otherwise, it still felt good to get away from sitting all day long.  I took only my cellphone with me once again so not to ruin my good camera with rain.  There were a few oddballs die-hards out walking with us at that time, but not many.




Palm Tree-lined walkway toward the direction of the Port of Corpus Christi Channel and the Culture Center


The tanker is enshrouded with mist. The two herons kept a vigil on us as we walked past them. The one photo with the traffic light & Federal Court House is where Interstate 37 begins on the map...

...and to continue showcasing my Trolls...

↓ My 5th Troll Share ↓

TROLL DOLL COLLECTION
Military Camouflage USMC

<>
c: early 70s

50 comments:

  1. I like this troll. Maybe because he is so goofy and harmless looking. I have never heard of Quadruple Scrabble. Is it something you can actually buy? Seems like those poor boys were out swimming awfully late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can buy it...
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CU1BA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_M039VYSYKC5T00Y4F6MF

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Anni!!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice visit with Erik.
    So sad about the boy who died. Wade's step brothers son died the same way. He was on vacation at the beach with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time with Erik and blackberry cobbler sounds wonderful to me! What a shame about that young man. Such a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cobbler was good, but very rich & "heavy".

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I do love all your trolls. It is nice you were able to get out for a walk. The Blackberry cobbler sounds yummy. Sad news about the boy drowning. They were talking about rip tides in Ocean City Maryland on the news this morning. It is the first weekend the lifeguards are on duty. I do not swim in the ocean. I hope everyone stays safe. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, people don't realize how a rip current traps a swimmer. Even when warned to stay out.

      Delete
  5. A great recap on the full days of events with Erik's return! I think you earned plenty of brownie points without even knowing it. Great photos captured here especially with the walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of crisps and cobblers. Sounds like a nice visit overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I L❤️VE homemade apple crisp!!

      Delete
  7. I never heard of that version of Scrabble before. It sounds interesting, but nobody would be able to do much with Erik's draw! Glad you got out and even some good photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and I are always competing...so, his letters amused me!!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you had a nice time with Erik and blueberry cobbler sounds great! So sad about the boy who drowned. Rip currents are so scary! I remember getting caught in one when I was a teen. Thankfully I was a good strong swimmer and knew to swim parallel to the shore. I don't think I've ever gone more than waist deep ever since. Have a fantastic weekend Anni, glad you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Olympic swimmers can be caught and drown.

      Delete
  9. The visit sounds perfect and after such a long time not seeing each other, i am sure just being together was great. sorry to hear about the drowning, so sad that they happen so many times here. Bob has twice saved kids that were caught in it. and that scared me even more.
    the views you saw with Erik look like they were taken here. your enviroment is so much like ours .

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you had with your son--though a good son would have let his mom win once in a while:)) Just tragic about that boy. I was in one once and it is panic that makes it impossible to fight it. Luckily, like Martha, I knew how to get out of it and a lifeguard was right there to give me a ride back on his surfboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To begin, I can't understand why anyone would go out to swim when there are warning signs posted. At least in THIS area.

      Delete
  11. Nice for you to have had a good time with your son and husband. Terrible about the drowning. Rip tides are REALLY dangerous. Nice photos today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are dangerous. We had a good time. Way too short for me, but fun.

      Delete
  12. Hooray for a lovely visit!!!

    Mmmm, that cobbler sounds yummmmy!!!

    I never played games... But people who do, have fun! Like I never do puzzles, but many people love them. -smile-

    Rip tides... Why don't people listen? Such a sad, sad, sad happening......

    But you all had a wonderful time!!!!!!

    Gentle hugs...
    😊 🔔 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't understand the lack of common Sense either!!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great visit with your son! My son loves my Swedish meatballs so whenever he's in town I always make them for him! It's the only time I do! Looks like a nice but cloudy walk! I'm sure it felt good to move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet he really appreciates those meatballs!!!

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad you got to spend quality time with you son. there is nothing like time together. Seems like the break did good.
    Our older son and wife are shooting a wedding in Hawaii today. What a deal...he said he would shoot for free if they would pay his way to Hawaii and hotel. The clients agreed and now son and wife have a mini vacation. Win win all the way around.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck I'd take a free trip to Hawaii too!!

      Delete
  15. It sounds like you had such a wonderful time with Erik, Anni! A mini-vacation right at home. How wonderful... I'm so happy for you. Lots of memories to last a good long time, for sure. We have a lot of water tragedies around our area too, in Lake Michigan. That lake has claimed so many lives! Again this year our lakefront will have no lifeguards, can you believe it? Both last year and this year they just can't find enough certified lifeguards who applied for work. There's big signs everywhere on the beach and in the parking lot saying "No Lifeguards On Duty"!!! What a shame. Hope your state of Texas dries out soon. That's all I hear about in the news... all the water coming down from the sky over your beloved state. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have lifeguards here only on holiday weekends.

      Delete
  16. Happy you had such a great time with Erik. So sad about the two boys and for their families. It happens all too often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had a good time with your son. Family time is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear you had a such a good time with Erik.
    The cobbler sounds delicious!!
    So sad about the brothers. A rip tide is NOT something to fool with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the drowning...if only those would utilize common sense, we'd not have tragic events such as these.

      Delete
  19. It sounds so wholesome and delightful, your son's visit. I can remember playing cards during rainy days, which were many in New Orleans. I had no idea UNO had a new version! Or Scrabble, for that matter! Behind the times...Lovely photos along the seawall but sorry to hear about the tragic drowning. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are several different versions of UNO these days.

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you had such a nice time with Erik. I bet your mom heart is full!
    Very sad about the young boy though. Gives you that sinking feeling when you hear something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the reference to "mom heart".

      Delete
  21. How lovely that you had a great visit with your son. Blackberry Cobbler sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you had a great time with Erik, but that tragedy is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tragic & I can't seem to get it from my thoughts.

      Delete
  23. So pleased you had a good time with Erik.
    But it was sad to read about the young boy.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even in my 60's I love visiting and seeing my sons. So glad all had a great time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about others & sons!

      Delete

Table of Contents