I was late getting out on Monday! Late for me. Sun-up had already occurred. And driving to the islands with the bright morning sun in my eyes was a challenge for a while. The sun was at a position in the sky that even the visor on the car's windshield didn't help, I got on the right lane of the freeway and slowed down during the rush hour traffic and made it over the JFK Causeway where finally, the sun was on my right, and I could see well enough. The island highway was not deserted as I had hoped, but all drivers were pretty well "sane". I had a chance to pull off onto the shoulder about half way from Corpus to Port A and check the nesting platform of the rare falcon. One was there, and through my viewfinder, it looked like it may have had nesting material in its mouth! I will make sure I check up on it periodically. Hopefully, another successful breeding year for the couple,
I made it to Port A [Port Arnasas] and stopped at my first wildlife refuge. I walked the distance, hoping that a little exercise would loosen the tight, pulled, muscle in my neck from the weekend before. It didn't, but walking didn't make it worse either, so I got some fresh air. It felt great.
While at the refuge, one of the resident alligators was actually MOVING around in the shallow area, close to the observation tower. I grabbed my camera, pushed the recorder and followed its movement for a little over a minute. I couldn't help but think that the Stilt [the black and white bird] nearby was either tempting its fate, or teasing. Not knowing just how swift those alligators could move.
I share the video...
This is a really good video. But oh my gosh, that retarded Stilt!! The croc must have been full.
ReplyDeleteI guess the alligator wasn't in the mood for stilt that day. That bird was pretty brave to walk so close. Glad you were able to get out
ReplyDeleteWhat a courageous bird or just plain stupid!
ReplyDeleteThat little stilt sure was living dangerously. I held my breath every time he walked in the frame!
ReplyDeleteYikes! That alligator had to do very little for a quick lunch. Lucky bird.
ReplyDeleteIt would have been a video that you might not have posted had the alligator gobbled up the little stilt - or would you have? Good video!
ReplyDeleteI had to call bob to watch the viedo on my new BIG SCREEN and it is awesome. he looks like he was watching you and the silly bird with one eye and has a big grin on his face... super movie
ReplyDeleteThink from the size of his belly the gator was probably more concerned with getting some warm sun as opposed to a little dessert. Such sinister looking creatures.
ReplyDeleteGreat video! Probably Mr. Alligator had already had breakfast! Seriously, we are glad we aren't in alligator country so often any more now that we are retired to the South Coast of Ohio. While working on ships out of Florida and Texas, we saw them often and had to be aware of our surroundings when near water. We enjoyed photographing them at the wetland reserve near Melbourne, FL, but were extremely careful to stay on the path and not disturb our ancient friends.
ReplyDeleteI actually yelled, "You dumb thing!" at the little Stilt during the movie. I thought you meant he had walked by just ONCE but oh no, he has to be extra-dangerous. I love Stilts so much! Alligators, no. I didn't like them in Louisiana and I don't like their Texas kin either! I hope you don't get caught driving with the sun at that bad angle again! I have had to drive with one hand up trying to block it a few times a.m. or p.m.and that is "distracted driving" and no good.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very scary video. They are not pretty animals, are they? (shudder)
ReplyDeleteOh my word, that alligator! Yes, the bird was tempting its fate, for sure. I think alligators can move rather quickly when they want to. I'm not afraid of wildlife as a general rule... but I wouldn't get this close to an alligator. Perhaps because I'm so unfamiliar. The video was wonderful, Anni. Thank you for sharing it! ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeletePretty gutsy bird I think. Terrific video of Allie.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you could get out and that your neck muscles are better. Walking was probably good for you.
I worked a little in my side yard yesterday morning. Raking up many, many sweet gum burrs. It is garbage night so that job was done. It did feel good to go out in the early morning briskness.
Glad I did it because it is crazy windy today and guess what? I think the rest of those dang prickly balls are going to be littering the ground again...
Sue
That was a great video!!! Crazy bird!!
ReplyDeleteI agree that the gator there was more interested in sunning himself, than a meal. I'm guessing that you definitely used a zoom there. Thanks for sharing that.
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a great zoom lens on that camera! Even when you zoomed out, you seemed quite close. And what a steady hand you had holding that camera. The stilt definitely was foolish roaming that close. And the alligator's tail could have wiped out a few behind him.
ReplyDeleteThat Stilt seems, either totally obvious or is playing with the gator.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I would have been far more scared than that stilt seemed to be!
ReplyDeleteGreat video! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! The alligator looked at first like he was going to go after the little bird! Luckily for that bird he probably wasn't very hungry!
ReplyDeleteThat is one thing I am not about to mess around with....you would never find me willingly or knowingly getting close to one.
ReplyDeleteMy mind is just not there anymore...it is like a near empty box. I wanted to say to try rolling a hand towel up and laying flat with it under your neck. I wish I could remember the time suggestions from my chiropractor. I had what basically was whiplash...you will laugh about how I got it. I was doing a great big yawn before getting out of bed! I kid you not. I had to have help getting out of bed.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, one of the things to do was to lay with towel under my neck, and look to the right as far as I could and look the left. As far as I could...and I think did that so many times a day. That is so long ago I don't remember how often. But it really helped, and has helped several times since them.