I tellya, this has been one odd season for me. What with the deep freeze in February and the whole landscape turning brown and crunchy has just been something I haven't seen in decades; since Colorado winters. We've had no snow, but with no green palm trees, grass, and blooming flowers year 'round, this has put a damper on my psyche that I just cannot explain. I guess in my golden years, I really don't like the change of seasons all that much. Sure, I like the rain, the chilly mornings, but I like GREEN year 'round anymore.
Thursday, while Bud was taking a nap after lunch, I ventured out into the front yard and started working on some more removing the dead foundation ferns along the porch.
I did all that was in the one section [with breaks now and then watching a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker in the Pecan tree]. Cutting, pulling and yanking some ferns after taking photos of the bird. Then, early Friday morning, when I got up from bed, I could NOT move without pain! My neck tendons and muscles had been injured. As the day wore on, it got worse. I literally became immobile. Ice packs, Salonpas pads, nothing helped. I was miserable. And Friday night I couldn't fall asleep from the pain upon any movement. Finally, around 2 a.m., I did get two hours' sleep before waking up...still with sharp neck pain. It's late Saturday morning now, as I type up this post, and there seems to be some bit of relief. I really musta yanked one too many ferns out of the ground. Needless to say, it'll be a good many days before I go out for more yard work. I'm getting too old to fall apart like that...it takes WAY TOO LONG to recover.
In the meantime, while keeping from any strenuous moves, I have been looking through my photo archives on the laptop and see all the photos I took in March of 2020 when I was able to get outdoors without a mask when I was in the wide open spaces [no other people around]. Oh, the Spring flowers back just a year ago compared to the stale looking surroundings this year is remarkable!! Wanna go back with me during this month, a year ago?
Thursday, while Bud was taking a nap after lunch, I ventured out into the front yard and started working on some more removing the dead foundation ferns along the porch.
I did all that was in the one section [with breaks now and then watching a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker in the Pecan tree]. Cutting, pulling and yanking some ferns after taking photos of the bird. Then, early Friday morning, when I got up from bed, I could NOT move without pain! My neck tendons and muscles had been injured. As the day wore on, it got worse. I literally became immobile. Ice packs, Salonpas pads, nothing helped. I was miserable. And Friday night I couldn't fall asleep from the pain upon any movement. Finally, around 2 a.m., I did get two hours' sleep before waking up...still with sharp neck pain. It's late Saturday morning now, as I type up this post, and there seems to be some bit of relief. I really musta yanked one too many ferns out of the ground. Needless to say, it'll be a good many days before I go out for more yard work. I'm getting too old to fall apart like that...it takes WAY TOO LONG to recover.
In the meantime, while keeping from any strenuous moves, I have been looking through my photo archives on the laptop and see all the photos I took in March of 2020 when I was able to get outdoors without a mask when I was in the wide open spaces [no other people around]. Oh, the Spring flowers back just a year ago compared to the stale looking surroundings this year is remarkable!! Wanna go back with me during this month, a year ago?






Slowly, but surely, the barren fields are showing the green, soon the Texas Bluebonnets will brighten the countryside, the birds will flock back into the area on their way north, the flowers will bloom in gardens and along county roads. I noticed coming home from the store that the trees are slowly recovering [except for the palm trees], and the cotton fields and sorghum are sprouting thru the Texas clay! Finally!!!
I hope you very soon get all these flowers again, and even more beautiful ones! I think my favorite is the beautiful purple one on the top right. OUCH, you need to rest up for quite awhile, so you don't have a setback. I have found that the older we are, the slower it takes to recover fom something. But you are in such great shape, I bet you will be all better in a day or two.
ReplyDeleteIt's so dreary.
DeleteOur desert poppies are not up. There aren't even any seedlings. Last year at this time we had millions. I don't know if they will come up late or not at all. With any luck, if you don't get too much rain, your plants will rebound in that hothouse atmosphere of summer! I hope so. And I hope your neck pain will go away completely. I wonder what happened to cause such injury. Working too hard!
ReplyDeleteExcessive pulling probably.
DeleteI'm with you, I want green year round. Unfortunately for me I live in the wrong part of the country.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the neck pain. It does take a lot longer to bounce back. This getting older sure isn't for sissies.
I don't like pain. Even child bearing years...gimme drugs!!!
DeleteLove your beautiful flowers! Getting older sure does have its challenges. I hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks M&M
DeleteI'm so sorry you are in so much pain. It's so true about it taking so much longer to recover these days. Please don't do anything to aggravate it. Just chill out and rest. Your photos from last March are gorgeous. I sure hope it will look like that again soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm resting!!
DeleteBob is suffering the same neck problems, but his was shoveling dirt to level out the Ball Brains Runway. is has been hurting for a week now, better than the first 5 days but still there.. hope yours is better soon. I know i can't do yard work, so don't do it. he knows but does it anyway... it is my back that goes out. the flowers are gorgeous! I agree with you, after living in Florida Sunshine and year round flowers and green, for 37 years, I could not move out of the state now... my SIL said to me, why don't you move up here where you hve family to help, I said I can not even imagnine not living in Florida now.. I could live where you are or a simliar enviroment but all family memebers live in cold country
ReplyDeleteI know I would certainly not be happy in cold climes any more.
DeleteI'm so sorry you injured your neck and hope you will continue to feel better. And be careful, you are right, with age it takes so much longer to get over things. When the green comes here in the spring, I have to have it removed to within 100 feet from around my house. Wild fire regulations. By June 1. So after that it's back to my dun colored landscape again.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm, that makes sense.
DeleteI sure hope your neck is feeling much better soon. I no longer do the heavy work for those reasons. It now takes longer to get into shape and much longer to heal. Good thing you had Spring 2020 to revisit. What a difference a year makes.
ReplyDeleteSo do I...this isn't much fun.
DeleteBoth you and Texas will recover, albeit slowly. You've had a severe shock to your systems, and it takes time to rest and regenerate.
ReplyDeleteI don't have to like it tho. lol
DeleteI hope you didn't pull your ferns prematurely, as ferns look dead at the end of fall & rejuvenate in the spring. I'm so sorry you felt poorly after doing your yardwork. Yes, you must have overdone things a bit, poor dear. :-( I'm sorry for the condition of Mother Earth in your area too, after the snow you folks had. That was a traumatic experience in many ways. Hang on though, as Mother Earth will come back even though she looks barren right now. ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh, I know it'll come back (most), but this freeze make a good opportunity to clean & thin 'em out.6
DeleteWow, but you did a job on yourself, with that fern yanking!!!! -sighhhh- We really must remember, that we simply can not do what we once could. Or at least, not as much, all at once, as we once could. So sorrrrrry.
ReplyDeleteNo mask...March 2020....Outdoors...In wide open spaces...no people around.
Hmmmmm... Now is March 2021. Isn't it time, that we use our own minds/logic/information gathering? To know that we do not have to wear a mask, out of doors? Outside! In the open air! Not getting within 6' of anyone else! Just like we have done, all the other years, we have been walking out side!
Just sayin'.....
🌺🌸🌷🌸🌺
I agree, common sense. Too much government mandates IMHO, too.
DeleteToo much of a good thing is not good. You weren't listening to your body but will now! I think you've learned a lesson to remember. So glad your last year's flower photos are shown here and will cheer all of us a lot! I know they did for me! Be well.
ReplyDeleteI should know better!
DeleteYeah, I can't blame you for not particularly liking the changing seasons. Here in MI it gets harder and harder for me to deal with the gloomy winters. Especially during a pandemic! Luckily they seem to be shorter now than when I was much younger!
ReplyDeleteWinters are short here...normally. lol
DeleteWoodpeckers Are So Cool
ReplyDeleteCheers
🙂🐦😊
DeleteHope you're not feeling so achy today. The flowers are beautiful. As for me I still like the changes of seasons. Makes me appreciate them all.
ReplyDeleteI used to enjoy winter. No longer...especially after this year.
DeleteOh my. Pain is not a nice feeling. I fell over trying to get on my bike and thought all was well. Weeks later I got hit. So now I am getting acupuncture and massage and chiropractor and it is working.
ReplyDeleteI will go see a chiropractor too.
DeleteHello Anni, Oh so sorry you are suffering from neck pain.You have all my sympathy, and I hope it improves with rest. I haven't been blogging much because of pain, so I do understand. Your photos are lovely, what gorgeous flowers. Always a pleasure to visit with you. Take it easy Anni!
ReplyDeleteLet's both work at getting better!
DeleteOuch! That sounds painful. i did enjoy the look back at the pretty flowers.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth. Flowers always light up our days, imo
DeleteAWEsome PICTURES. glad to hear ya are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI hope it continues to heal quickly, thanks!
DeleteSorry to hear about your neck pain and hope it does get better quickly. I sprained my lower back in a yoga class and am being careful not to aggravate it. And oh I LOVE that pretty purple flower in that set of pictures. Spring is here, and soon we'll see all those pretty flowers again in your area. :-)
ReplyDeleteSprained back is no good either!!
DeleteI'm glad to hear the plants and flowers are recuperating from the frost. I hope you will soon feel better too! Neck pain is hard to deal with because it seems to impact every move.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos.
It's like, you can't move!!
DeleteThat sounds painful, sending thoughts and healing wishes.
ReplyDeleteI did like your photographs, so beautiful.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan
DeleteI hope the pain goes away soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean
DeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear you were in so much pain. I hope you are feeling better now. The flowers are gorgeous, I am looking forward to some spring blooms here. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!
Your comments are off...so, here I say to you, have a great week ahead.
DeleteOh my, I hope you are getting some relief and the pain is going away.
ReplyDeleteYour yard and the flowers are so beautiful but I'm sorry the hard work did you in.
Sue
It's been more clean up this year with the deep freeze in Feb.
DeleteWhat you described sounds so painful...I hope you don't go through that again any time soon.
ReplyDeleteIt was.
DeleteIt sure is miserable to have such pain after doing a bit of yardwork! Trusting that you have been able to recover! I always enjoy seeing pictures of the Texas bluebonnets, and hope that all the horrible freezing weather doesn't prevent them from blooming this year. My family in Texas sends me beautiful pictures of them. It was a terrible thing for Texas to endure such cold weather for such extended period of time. Hoping that springtime is still a lovely time! Many blessings to you :)
ReplyDeleteI always look forward to the fields of bluebonnets.
Delete