Genealogy & a Clippet of Humor...


First thing Tuesday morning I found myself reading my son's text from the night before. One I missed, but sure got a kick out of it while eating my oatmeal breakfast! It was of Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segments that he had on his late show periodically. I laughed again. Even tho I've seen 'em before. Here is the link to the entire series. Even tho it's nearly seven minutes long, it's well worth watching if you need a good laugh! I still consider it my favorite...Jay asks a person on the street "What U S President was nicknamed 'Tricky Dick'"? The gal's answer? "Bill Clinton"!!! Another good one is "What does the D. C. stand for in Washington D.C.?" Answer by some other - "Da Capitol". Click Here. I really think you'll enjoy it all. 
note: image is screenshot, no infringement intended.


Then, speaking of taking screenshots, I was doing a bit of research for our family's genealogy to see if any updates have been focused on since I published our heritage book of some 300 pages. Just for updates mainly. After 25  years of my life working on the book, I tend to check about once a year to see if I can find anything "new" which hasn't been covered in my publication. Or, maybe add births and deaths in my note files at the end of the book.  I came across a photo of an ancestor and had to stop and re-read it [I also have the original photo in my history collection]...the family is related to Gen. Phil Sheridan and Robert E. Lee. Here is a little snippet of the family history site from which I read...
    Aunt of Gen Phil. Sheridan - and a distant relation of Gen Robt E. Lee.  She would be my children's great-great-great-great-great grandmother if my math is correct.
    She is the mother of thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters; seven sons and four daughters still living. She has 107 grand children living. Fifty one grandsons, fifty six grand daughters. 136 great grand children, and four great great grandchildren. eighty one grand, 121 great grand, two great great grand children in Ohio.
    She married on November 2, 1797 in St. Johns Parish Protestant Episcopa, Joppa, Harford, Maryland. Children:
    Sarah
    Rachel
    John
    James
    Mary Ann
    Jane
    Elizabeth
    William
    Thomas
    Lee
    Archibald
    Asberry
    Alexander

Another 'new' item I found while perusing online was a painting of the kind of ship one of our anscetors crossed the Atlantic in! Even for me, today, it is just very difficult to imagine crossing in this small craft with hundreds aboard. They all must have been very determined, strong, souls. The image shared here is very large in size. You can read the blue highlighted area if interested. I had proof of the wife dying while at sea, but never the ship. One of the surviving sons was a direct decendant of our family that settled here in America...and his offspring times a few generations, eventually locating in Nebraska where I was born. In genealogy, PROOF is the most important! It may take years to find a record, but well worth the time, cost, travel, efforts.  And I will, to the last breath I take, continue to update anywhere, anytime, with anything I can find to pass it on to another generation.

If interested, and you're still here, reading...Here is a post showing you my published book on my family history.

42 comments:

  1. Well, to me, your family is famous!!!! What amazing and shocking finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a cute story to tell about our Indian ancestry too (Native American). Will share itsometime.

      Delete
  2. That's fascinating! Can you imagine having 13 children?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even dream of that many to raise!!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the laughs to begin my day!
    Thank you Anni 🤣
    Marvelous that you did all that genealogy. Wonderful accomplishment.
    Is very important to know who your ancestors were ... I felt in complete darkness! 😥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing is so good right now. More than you'll know. Yes, I loved finding clues to the past...even tho years of research involved.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating. That book will be a real treasure to future generations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene is interested, but Erik could care less. lol

      Delete
  5. All so fascinating Anni! I can't even imagine all the hard work you've had to do. I'm off to check out both links now. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long, sometimes agonizing, job of WORK to compile such a history.

      Delete
  6. JayWalking was just hysterical☺ Thank you for sharing it! I have known families with 7 children but can you even imagine 13?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that funny? No...I can't fathom such a large brood. And what she went thru in childbirth!

      Delete
  7. the ship story is very sad, all those children dead and the mother. they came in those ships running from life that was intolerable just like the ones at our border are doing. coming to america even hundreds of years ago and still to this day are doing it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most true. Reasons may have been different, yet not so different.

      Delete
  8. forgot to say, i was on replicia ships of the Nina, the pitna and santa maria and boy were they tiny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had them here also. Aboard and in the hull, quite claustrophobic.

      Delete
  9. Jay Leno was one of the last true Late Night Comedians. For some time now, they have been "One Note Ponies." With one topic, to mock.

    And now that the last President is gone, so will they be gone.

    Fantastic to have done so much work, on your genealogy!

    🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a sister-in-law who is gung ho about family ancestry and works very hard at documentation and verification. I give her (and YOU) a ton of credit. I only am interested in it up to great grandparents. Maybe that is because I grew up with families with many children. One had 13 and one had 19! We all played together (when they had time off from chores).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved Jay Walking and also loved Headlines...we hunt those of Youtube sometimes. The thing with the Jaywalking...he showed them as he found them. Did not just show the dumb answers. And that is scary...some of them were in college to be teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. He was right up there with Carson.

      Delete
  12. I use to watch Jay all the time so that was a revisit for me:)) And we let those people breed?
    You have a very interesting ancestry and it is wonderful that you have done the work. Still shaking head over 13 kids. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol on the breeding!!! I could easily say those words crossed my lips too, but I won't.

      Delete
  13. Oops, I put my comment on your 2020 post and was so surprised to see my comment from that year there.
    Thanks for sharing again.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went over & read your comment..
      Thanks again, Sue.

      Delete
  14. Glad to see that others also thought "D.C." was Da Capital. Interesting lineage that has been revealed! It's amazing when one can go so far back to uncover the unknowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gruelling times, yet when you find the truth, it's satisfying.

      Delete
  15. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Anni. How nice that your son sent you a fun text to start your day! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those questions & dumb answers made me giggle...again.

      Delete
  16. Our ancestors must have had sheer determination to make it to America and Canada.I guess they were not spoiled by aa lot of luxury as we have it today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading about your family history. It's so interesting! I've done some work on our family history too and enjoyed it. However, ours doesn't go back as far as yours and they all immigrated from the Netherlands. Bob did have a great grandmother immigrate all by herself at 18 which took a lot of guts! And I'd love to hear the story behind that.
    About the photo on my blog post today - I would be honored if you wanted to paint it. You are always welcome to any pictures I share on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!
      Yes, her story would be so interesting!

      Delete
  18. These days it is so wonderful to enjoy laughs and smiles :)

    Really well done on your genealogy research.

    Enjoy the rest of the week, the days seem to pass by so quickly!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. My father had his autobiography published by a university, and was always interested in genealogy. Our family name is peculiar and anyone with that name is related in some way to me. I wish he could have lived long enough to enjoy the resource that the internet is for geneaologists! You are very skilled at sleuthing out your ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to have a published author in your family!

      Delete
  20. That video was hilarious! It's amazing at what people don't know. I'm no genius myself but most of that is basic knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...and most of those will lead our country(or vote)...that is scary!!

      Delete
  21. I don't think Geneology ends.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ending if you remain interested.

      Delete

Table of Contents