How I Got My "Name" -Throwback Thursday


Warning: This may be a bit upsetting, but it's part of who I am!

It took me over a quarter of a century to complete the work on the two family genealogies [Bud's and mine]. It begins from the 1600's in Ireland and Germany. I tell you, ancestry is very addictive, and so worth the efforts of lots of years mailing off and inquiring history data in foreign countries that still have records available. Then, there is word of mouth from relatives [ones still alive back then when I began]. I learned so much. It was worth every minute, hour, year, I did research. And the cost of postage, etc. was phenomenal. Finally after years and years of printed records and copies of this and that, I thought I was ready to publish a book.  In 2011 I did, and it contains over 300 pages. I gave my work a title "Inherited Lineage". I'll begin with the opening page; what I wrote as an introduction.
 
My dedication page:
"those still living, I omitted names"
 
I, [my name], the composer and author of this family reunion remember my mother, years past, telling me briefly when I was a young child of age five or six, that when born, I was named after her sister [my middle name - suggested by Bette Hatch - my mom's youngest sister "How about Ann?"  Nothing registered in my mind at such a young age.  I thought it was nice to be named after someone, but was really disinterested.  Then, when coming upon this article that Marjorie Moyer [my mother's sister-in-law] sent to me within a letter years ago, I realized this is the sister mom talked of and Marjorie thought I'd like to have the name history in my possession.  Also, a note here about my mother, again it didn't come to me at the time, but does now...[husband's name], my husband, nicknamed me endearingly, Annie -going by my middle name.  When my mother first  heard [husband's name]  call for me by the name "Annie" she smiled broadly and was very pleased with him.  Of course I do think [husband's name] was a favorite son-in-law at the time.  [insert laugh here  {husband's name} was her ONLY son-in-law at the time.]  
So, today as I get this book ready for publishing, I now realize why my mother was so broadly smiling at [husband's name] calling me Annie; I can still see her smile at that given moment.  And the nickname  has stuck with me through the years...[husband's name] still calls me Annie.  I'd like to imagine my mom is still pleased; I'm sure...and I'd like to think that Annie knows me now with mom's guidance, and likes me as her namesake.  Also noted was the date of the death  - - April 1911.  That meant that my grandmother, Florence Mae, while trying to save Annie with her husband Henry...she was pregnant.  My mother was born July 1911, three months after Annie perished from burns.  And so, I'd like to dedicate this book to my mother, Edith Irene,  and send greetings to Annie Moyer.

Also from book:
 





Join Martha at Throwback Thursday

48 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. For me, it was shock wben I read the newspaper article.

      Delete
  2. OMG, that is so awful, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a parent myself, I can only imagine the loss of a child.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Anni

    What a sad story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, not only sad that she died at such a young age but such a tragic death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad that your namesake Dad such a horrible death but I really enjoyed hearing that you got your name Annie from your husband. And I am also impressed that you spent such a long time putting together 300 pages of History.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long job of work! Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  6. That is so tragic Anni, you must have been so shocked to discover this. That sure was a lot of work you put into the book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, then I remembered all what mom told me.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to learn of this, Anni. You write about it so movingly. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Admire you for starting and finishing such a challenging family history. That was horrific about your namesake and how terrible for her parents to witness and not be able to help. You have carried her name well and I am sure your Mom is still smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You brought on the water works Patti! Thanks for the kind words about mom still smiling.

      Delete
  9. I know a relative who spends almost all day, every day working on our and (her) family ancestry. The hardest part for her is verifying truth and accuracy. She found many mistakes and still has tons of questions. You are to be commended for completing this research and then putting it into permanent form. Tragic story here, so awful. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, verify, verify, ...the best you can. That's one reason it took decades to complete.

      Delete
  10. OMG...how terrible!!!
    I am shedding tears for that precious little angel.
    I am so sorry such a tragedy touched your family Anni 💮

    Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness...it humbles me.

      Delete
  11. It is something when we are able to see what's happened in the past and put things together. Lots of sadness in days of old and it makes us even more thankful for our lives now. Beautiful written my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really said all that needed to be said Diane!

      Delete
  12. Oh my, what a tragic and horrific death.
    We have been doing a bit of geneology too.
    Amazing work you have accomplished...300 printed pages...
    Love the name Annie..one of my best friends growing up was Annie.
    I would enjoy reading more of your Reunion...
    Leaving in about an hour..
    Will be back on blogger in a few days...
    I may peek at your posts but don't think I will have time to comment.
    We shall see.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I do hope your break from blogging is for fun...at least a mix of fun and "hafta do's".

      Delete
  13. Good On You - History Is Amazing On All Fronts - Stay Strong

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Are you getting any of the smoke from Southern California in Grand Junction? (or are you in G J right now?)

      Delete
  14. Oh, I'm so sorry about dying from burns!! How awful!! So little, and such an awful death.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful that this book and information are now on earth for all posterity. I think that's fantastic, Anni!!! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you to dig back into the past to find your history.My mom was also an Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a family happening... Tragic...

    Not too long ago, I asked my Dear Readers, *where* their blog name, came from. Yours would have topped all.

    Marvelous that you did all that genealogy. Wonderful accomplishment.

    Thank you for your comment today. It is refreshing, to find others, who have similar views, about the CRAP-O-LA that is going on, in our Country.

    🍁💛🍂💛🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the compliments & yes this country has gone to a 3rd world country with all these protests that are NOT accomplishing a thing but creating more turmoil.

      Delete
  18. That is so sad. My mom also had a sister who died of burns. I do like that Bud gave you the nickname though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it that he calls me Annie too.

      Delete
  19. Oh my word Anni you deserved a standing ovation for the completion of this book and I am standing and clapping. I love names and their origins. I'm often asked if Cecilia is a family name...nope supposedly Mama was reading a novel when she was pregnant. The Shrine of St. Cecilia was mentioned...thus I have a lot to live up to and am still trying.
    Your children will treasure this book
    Hugs St. Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Cecilia...lol, gotta love THAT!

      and, I have promised to have a 2nd copy printed. both kids want it. time's a wasting!

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful accomplishment and an act of love to do all that work. Certainly a treasure to be passed along down through future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I learned so much. And, sadly, I also learned that a lot of women were 'lost' in record keeping way back.

      Delete
  21. There so much interesting things one finds in digging up there family tree...I been working on mine for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely tak a long time...and, yet knowing it's never complete.

      Delete
  22. What a horrible way to die. That is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, and to live with the loss as a parent...

      Delete
  23. Oh, Annie...I feel like crying....that is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was for me too. but my consolation is I carry her name in a round about way.

      Delete
  24. Oh my how tragic and heartbreaking.
    That's so special to have such a deep meaning to your name.
    My Hubby is into ancestry too. It's been difficult finding information but we do plug along in our search.
    You really have a fascinating history and to have your book published shows it.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents