More Holiday Theme...


Since I was rummaging through all the storage boxes unpacking the snowflakes and angels, ornaments and ribbon for the tree last week, I got into a couple more boxes and pulled out my gingerbread dolls. When I bought them YEARS ago, they had the heavy fragrance of ginger spice. And they filled the house with a "down-home", country kitchen warmth of a baking hearth filled with anticipation of a traditional bread for the holiday season. Thru the decades, the dolls still have the scent, but nearly not as strong as once was. So, I fixed that! I made a gingerbread to fill the void while doing laundry. I couldn't go anywhere, birding, so why not bake something? Something we haven't had in a LONG time. We both were pleased I brought them out to be perched on the side tables; adding a string of lights draped over their figures...we had a special sweet treat to boot!


56 comments:

  1. They are cute, and your gingerbread looks yummy! I am going to try making gingerbread pancakes. I am amazed that after so many years, they have ANY smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pancakes would be delicious topped with butter & dusted with powdered sugar!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your special sweet treat is delicious! I believe your home smells great!
    And the dolls ... are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you could order some essential oil online that would smell like gingerbread and put a few drops on each dolly. Of course doing that would not nearly be as tasty as eating gingerbread with whipped cream on top. Yumm!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I'd put the oil drops without ruining their outfit or bodies...oil would stain (everything is fabric...even their hair)

      Delete
  4. Hello,

    Your gingerbread dolls with the lights are cute. I have never made gingerbread, it looks yummy. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love gingerbread and your dolls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now I want some Gingerbread! That was a treat my mother would often make in the winter time, and she'd put a thin confectioners sugar glaze on top...but we'd also add the whipped cream. I don't think to make it very often, and I love it. Your dolls are so cute, and I like that they actually were scented! Your house must smell like a "gingerbread house". Love it!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and ginger is a good, healthy herb/spice!

      Delete
  7. What cute gingerbread dolls. That gingerbread looks pretty delicious too. Now I'm hungry for some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pretty gingerbread dolls and your gingerbread looks delicious, I bet it smelled heavenly in your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day with the fragrance all day long!

      Delete
  9. OH MY! I LOVE gingerbread ANYTHING! Your dolls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...altho the bread is easier than the gingerbread men cookies! lol

      Delete
  10. they are so cute and I don't remember seeing them before. the smell would kill me since I can eat it but I do love that smell. the first one is my favorite, I love her smile and kissy lips and that adorable dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :::smile::: I like the reference to 'kissy lips'!!!

      Delete
  11. I also love gingerbread. What a great idea! Can you come over here and add some smells to my home? (Wouldn't that be nice)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love coming over! If only I could. We could actually go hiking too!!!!

      Delete
  12. They are so cute...I have never made gingerbread, and I have no idea why I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made me go look. Ginger bread is my favorite but I don't have that mix but now I will tackle the many others I do have. What a great idea for a blah day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know they had a mix for it. Hmmmm, will have to check the shelves at the store now!!!

      Delete
  14. What cute gingerbread dolls!! The edible gingerbread looks delicious! I can almost smell and taste it. Have a lovely Christmas ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of making another one soon. We have apple fritters right now, when they're gone...who knows?!!

      Delete
  15. Do you see my tongue hanging out? Boy that gingerbread looks delicious..I guess the whipped cream is the crowning glory to that dessert.
    I love your Gingerbread dolls. Aren't traditions fun?
    I sure wish the calories could be removed though. My persimmon bread keeps calling me..I could eat the entire loaf!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bread and my bread, you and I could have such a good time with them, right?

      Delete
  16. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without the smell of freshly baked gingerbread. NOw, I am so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fragrance as much as the bread itself.

      Delete
  17. Those are super cute! I wonder if you could find some kind of essential oil or something to get the gingerbread smell back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oil and cloth, I think it would ruin the material.

      Delete
  18. I like those gingerbread dolls. My mom used to make a gingerbread cake and we had it with whipped cream. It sure was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good...especially homemade!

      Delete
  19. I adore gingerbread, especially with a lemon glaze. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hurray for gingerbread, in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute gingerbread dolls and I love gingerbread especially with that dollop of whipped cream on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are cute!
    I love gingerbread and now I think I need some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, a great treat for the wintertime desserts, served warm.

      Delete
  23. I been thinking about ginger bread and like lemon sauce on it.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the 2nd one to mention lemon. I will try that.

      Delete
  24. We always had lemon sauce on our gingerbread cake. When I make it, I'll post sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful these two are! They look good enough to eat...just kidding :)
    That was a great idea that you came up with Anni and looks yummy!!!
    Your home must looks like Santa's workshop...love it!!!
    Hugs 🎄🍪🎅🎁☕

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, but the gingerbread looks tasty! And to have two such delightgul dolls! Oh,my! Thank you and have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, that gingerbread....well, um, you know ;) slurp....

    ReplyDelete
  28. What fun to unpack all those boxes of beloved collectibles. I have been decorating our tree and each ornament unwrapped brings a big smile. The gingerbread looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents