PBS


On Wednesday evening during our dinner hour, Bud and I watch PBS. One of our favorite programs is NATURE. A few weeks back, they aired a "New" episode on the Panda Bear. Pandas - Born in the Wild. It followed the research and care of Panda bears, raising cubs to eventually be released into the wild Bamboo forests. But, near the end of the 45 minute program, the same researchers were out IN the wild searching for new born pandas. After weeks out in the open land of their "Journey through the steep Qinling Mountains with filmmakers, scientists and rangers to witness pandas’ startling courtship and aggressive behaviors", they came upon an infant high up in a tree. When I saw the image on the screen, my heart burst. I took photos of those images with my phone. I have no intention of infringing the copyright; used just for an educational purpose on my blog. Anyway, during the few minutes of this open country search, it was revealed that baby pandas are left in the treetops as the mother goes hunting or perhaps breeding. Just to keep them safe from the male pandas, known to kill their own offspring...




Another episode, I believe it was last week, also a new one, was about the Australian fires and animal rescue. So sad, yet so compelling to think of all the rescue attempts [both successful and not so much] with the unique animals of the continent. Excellent and educational viewing. I recommend them to anyone that loves the wild!! What was most interesting that was brought to our attention was that kangaroos, during the bushfires, they would follow the fire line, and CROSS the fire into the already burned areas to evacuate...they most likely had a better chance of survival than those that would try to out-run the fire.

- - -

A few months back I read a book review on a blogger's blog of one they just finished. Giving it a "thumbs up"! The other day, when I cleaned out my clothes closet that I do bi-annually, I took them to the donation station here in town and as I was walking out of the building, I saw the book...Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I've read several chapters and have been enjoying it a lot. The dust jacket tells me it's part murder mystery. I think I have it figured out who killed Chase...but, I could be wrong. LOL I am using all my will power to read it in its entirety and not cheat and read the ending first before I finish. I will be surprised, I just know it!!  "A surprise ending is promised".

Panda bear images courtesy of PBS

36 comments:

  1. In the human world that little panda would end up in the protection of childrens services. Interesting about kangaroos. I'm curious about whether they are able to get through the fire line without getting badly burned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think their feet would be burned, for sure.

      Delete
  2. That little panda up in the tree just melts my heart! Sounds like kangaroos are pretty smart too. Enjoy the rest of the book Anni, no cheating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand the bursting heart because when I enlarged the photo and looked at it and it made my heart sing with joy. What an adorable baby. That's a good thing to watch while enjoying your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better than sports...sitcoms...or news any day!

      Delete
  4. The Nature channel is one of our favorites but now there are too many repeats! OH! I LOVED that book. A friend in HI mailed it to me, well knowing I'd not put it down until the end. I have passed it on to another who also really enjoyed the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last three/four weeks they have been new programs (you'd think your station would air the same)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I are also enjoying that PBS series. The Primates one, which is a two-parter, I believe, is especially captivating. That some primates use tools in many ways and can so profoundly reason is almost scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly fascinating...we watched the first part also...I wasn't aware of the compassion & tolerance of the silver-back male either!

      Delete
  6. What a cutie. Kind of nasty about the males eating their young. Read that book and will not offer any spoilers. Don't peek. Let us know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for refraining any spoiler alerts.

      Delete
  7. We will have to look for the Panda Bear series. They are just the cutest little bears♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PBS website should have the program.

      Delete
  8. I think this book was an Oprah pick! We love Nature, and have all the episodes set to tape. Those shows were really good, but the koala one was really heartbreaking. Thanks for posting this, more people need to know about this awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always so educational & worthy of watching. Even some that are repeated.

      Delete
  9. I read that book and enjoyed it thoroughly. Glad to see nobody is giving anything away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I want to be totally surprised & happy to read it entirely.

      Delete
  10. You sound like my hubby & youngest daughter, in liking those types of shows, Anni. And your book find sounds great! I hope you're as surprised as the book promises. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly keeping my interest so far

      Delete
  11. Dave and I often watch those types of programs. Usually National Geographic channel and Discovery and PBS. They are really the only decent programs on nowadays.
    Sounds like a good mystery who done it to read.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love science & nature too! And, I agree about the majority of programming. Yet, we have little choice, having no cable.

      Delete
  12. That baby panda looks like a stuffed panda up in the tree. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, but it DID move. lol

      Delete
  13. Those pandas sure are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know that about pandas! Thank you. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you don't have TV but I think the NATURE program is free, online!

      Delete
  15. Oh, I read that book last year, and it's been long ago enough that I don't remember a thing! (That could happen 5 minutes after reading it, LOL). I do remember liking the book very much and wishing there were more like it. so hang in there and finish it...it is a good book! That panda up in that tree is amazing! The tree looks so fragile! Amazing how they live. The stories you shared were very interesting. Thank you for telling us about them. I may have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PBS does have some good programs, a good variety of them

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am swearing off of the news so I will look at the PBS schedule. I did so love it when they had Downton Abby and such. I'm sure I'll find some good programs. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish A certain fella in this household would do the same. News is just so biased & disheartening for the most part.

      Delete
  18. I would have been in 7th heaven to have all the nature shows when I was a kid...I so loved Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I will watch for these shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we watched that long ago, too.

      Delete

Table of Contents