It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Busiest of Times...


Since 5 a.m. [I'm taking a break], I've been busy taking down and packing away everything Halloween and putting up a few Thanksgiving/Fall items around the house. It's a chore! It takes me weeks to put it all up in October, and when Halloween is over I want it all down...in a day. That means back breaking work. Bud helps, that's good. One very chilly morning [44 degrees on the island], I drove there and walked some. The wind was strong and coming off the water, it felt near freezing. Trust me, I grew up in Colorado, and  40 degrees along the coast truly compares to Colorado's winters of 32 degrees and below!!

Anyway, the ship channel was busy...very busy. While I walked the jetty one ship went out to sea and three others came into port...all within a half hour's time. The dolphins greeted 'em coming in and bid adieu to the one leaving. They're fun to wait for them to breach the ships' bow wakes!!

At Charlie's Pasture, upon arriving I was shocked...the prairie grasses were burned to a crisp! My first thought, after our home town area burned [Cameron Peak Fire] the largest forest fire in Colorado history, "Not us too?!!" Several acres were charred...then, I took notice that there was a pattern to the burned area...some green pasture was framing the blackened areas..."It must have been a controlled burn!" A parks and rec gal was cleaning the outhouses, and when she came out as I walked by I asked her if this was all a controlled burn...she said yes. Phew, thank goodness, I thought sure enough some careless smoker or a campfire got out of control!

Okay, I must get back to work. I have hours of work yet. Here are some photo shares of my day in the cold----


The first photo in the series of four above, is of a new trail they are cutting through the pasture to two other ponds! Can't wait for it to open. The water is Magee Beach and the last one is a fishing pier...one of very few that was not ruined with hurricane surge this year. Then, below, the four following is of the pasture controlled burning. The only consolation is in about a month, new growth will make it all the more ecologically healthier...



I will continue this day tripping in another post, when I'm done with packing things away. We have a movie plan for tonight during dinner of pizza and beer...in memory of the late Sean Connery [passing away at the age of 90 over the weekend]...Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. My favorite of that series of flicks.

44 comments:

  1. The burned areas look so sad and devastated! I hope it did not destroy any animal or bird homes. But of course it did if they burned any trees. It takes me days to put up our seasonal decorations, too. I have to space it out because of aches and pains. I went to see the very first James Bond movies in the theater. And read all of the original novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen snippets of the Connery Bond movies. Indiana Jones & Hunt for Red October are the only ones I recall seeing.

      Delete
  2. I always hate packing up decorations. I think that's why I've been putting out less than I used to.
    Glad to hear that was just a controlled burn. I think I feel a breeze coming off that water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Love the views of the water, I always enjoy seeing dolphins. I have seen these controlled burns in places, the regrowth takes a while but ends up looking good again. Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all of those witches to put away, you do have your work cut out of you!
    So sad about the char.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. But I still love my witches...lol

      Delete
  5. I am surprised that you get all that stuff packed up so quickly! And that means, truly, that we are entering the dark months of the year. With the time change, it was DARK outside in the evening way too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I don't like the time change...it's too abrupt.

      Delete
  6. My first comment is your head or today is my most favorite of all your headers and your headers are always wonderful and I love them all but this one is extraordinary and exquisite! It sure was beautiful while you were out there in that cold and I understand what you mean about the 44 because it's 66 here today and my feet are freezing and when you go outside the wind is blowing and even though the sun is shining we are cold. And it is colder here at 59 then it is was at 16 in Savannah Georgia. You had a wonderful View and all that cold weather and I have to say cold as feeling good right now. I saw the first two James Bond movies and I am not a fan of the Bond movies and I've never seen the movie you mentioned but I was a Connery fan and loved some of the movies that he was in I love him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be missed. And, thanks so much for your compliments on the header Sandra. The art work isn't mine tho. Wish I could take credit. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about the cold, it's like that here in Florida too. A trip to the jetties on a day in the 60's feels like it does when it's in the 30's up north. Great photos Anni. Sure glad it was a controlled burn - whew! Good luck getting everything finished up today and enjoy your pizza, beer and movie tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always had trouble convincing my norther friends that Florida cold is just as bad as northern ones. Seems to go right through you. Guess Texas is the same.
    Seasonal decorations never seem to last long enough.
    Sean was such a handsome man. Enjoy the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember our relatives coming here during the winter months & couldn't believe how cold it actually feels.

      Delete
  9. I'm like you where once I start packing stuff away I want it all gone! I usually can't stop myself until it is! My husband doesn't help but that's ok with me. I like things put away in a particular way anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't envy you and the hard work you put into the Halloween decor. Remember to take a break or two along the way.
    Love the places you go for your morning walks. Brr, that was a brisk one.
    Thanks so much Anni for the delightful title you gave my blog post. I LOVE it...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secretly, I was hoping that Bud would agree to a photo shot like YOURS. I love it so.

      Delete
  11. P.S. I forgot to say how much I like your new header. You always have such lovely surprises as your header; right down to the cool and original way the layout is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The layout & placing new headers is quite a challenge these days with the new interface. Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
  12. The cold in southern parts of Texas and Louisiana is a biting cold that goes right through you... think it's maybe because of all the moisture in the air. New Orleans is bitter in really cold weather. My kids always got sick when visiting during the holidays when they were young.
    And Sean Connery was one of my favorite actors. He's one man that got even more handsome as he aged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...it's so cold. And I agree with you about Connery.

      Delete
  13. I'm very impressed with your decorating. I'm just not feeling it this year and may not decorate for Christmas. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas will come & go. It's been the most oddest of odd years.

      Delete
  14. Good that you can get out and enjoy the weather no matter what it gives you. As for putting your decorations away, at least you have help. We don't want dust spoiling the outfits. Controlled burns are a way of life around here. We expect to see several in the next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not dusty or full of webs.

      Delete
  15. I hate to see the grasses being burned, but I do know that it creates healthy new growth, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as animals are not burned, I'm okay with it.
      It was just a shock.

      Delete
  16. I do know that burning creates new growth, but it seems harsh to me. Sad to hear of the passing of Sean Connery. I always enjoyed his work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure things will grow back better than ever. It is amazing how fast it does.
    I thought Sean Connery got better looking as he got older. Sad that he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...he was yummy when he turned "gray"

      Delete
  18. I hate seeing the burned areas but I know it can regrow quickly.
    I do the same with Christmas decorating - put it out slowly, take it down in a hurry. It's lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't start or even thought of putting away Halloween items.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had room, they'd be out year 'round.

      Delete
  20. I know what you mean about humid air being a lot colder than dry air! Especially with wind. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one time in Norfolk VA the salt water was even freezing!

      Delete
  21. We are in the 40's here in Florida this morning. Yesterday was in the 50's and very windy, so we didn't go for our usual walk...went to Walmart and walked instead. I can imagine the job you have of putting everything away! Wow...that was something. I'm thinking now about putting out my few Thanksgiving things...the pilgrims and turkeys, etc. Although I feel like I've had fall stuff out so long already I am kind of tired of it and find myself wishing I could put it all away, but we still have Thanksgiving, and I hate to ever slight that very special day. So, "Come we thankful people come" out of storage and let us be thankful for the rest of this month!! Enjoyed your pictures. I don't like the looks of controlled burns either, but they are so necessary. If California would get in the habit of doing them they might not have such horrible fires every year. Have a blessed day and week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Texas, they've really hinted that Thanksgiving should be nixed. I don't think the warning will be heard.

      Delete
  22. I am so glad it was a controlled burn! I just hate the fires...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...even a controlled fire can get out of hand!

      Delete

Table of Contents