My Forever Pink Rose



My Mother...circa 1930s
E. Irene



On an unusual, cold, August evening, at dusk...
I walk the hill as the mist falls gently on my being
I feel dispirited as I climb.

My footfalls break the silence
the dampness is penetrating; my eyes shed tears.
Soon, I will be again at her side...
She left me one August; summertime.

Reaching for the latch; I approached the wrought iron gate...
Pushing, it mourned; breaking the stillness of the night.
I stepped through. Behind me it closed as
the mighty oak trees, saturated; upon me they spate.

Shivering now, I walk ahead toward her.
I find her,
I sit on the damp marble and wait.

Hours pass, I feel cold and lonely.
A soft, pale pink rose I lay it beside her name.
Pink roses, her favorite color.
A pink rose, pressed between the pages of her Bible
My gift to her on Mother's Day...long ago, when a teen
She kept it close to her forever
...she gave me happiness with grace, joy, and laughter.

She will always be my Pink Rose.



39 comments:

  1. I wish you a very happy Mothers day!
    Your mom was a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she was pretty...but, I'm biased. Thanks Ella.

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful, as was your mother. Happy Mothers day to your Pink Rose in heaven and to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hope your day was perfect.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and warm tribute to a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She was beautiful. Biased I am.

      Delete
  5. My tears join yours... beautiful lady, beautiful words.
    Happy Mother's Day 🌷🌞

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was just beautiful as was your Mother. Enjoy those sweet memories today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, Happy Mother's Day Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY MOM IS MY PINK ROSE TOO.
    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - COVID 19 STYLE - WHAT EVER WAY IT IS! ☺
    LOVE, SANDIE♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Anni, this could make a person cry! For sadness that she is gone, for joy of the love you shared. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your poem, and the picture of your beautiful mother and the perfect pink rose. You made me cry for her loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mother was so pretty and what beautiful words! Happy Mother's day to you too! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...hope your day was perfect.

      Delete
  12. Happy Mothers day. My mom been gone since 2000. She grew up during the 30's a great depression child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1994 here. And yes, my mother was around during the depresion.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful tribute. Happy Mother’s Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Hope you had a great day.

      Delete
  14. Indeed, this is a beautiful tribute to your mother! Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day. Stay well and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Mothers Day Anni! Your mom was a pretty lady. I like your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's beautiful Anni and a sweet photo of your mother. She was a pretty lady! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mother. I hope you had a great mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful, but touching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. to me the worst part is this mask thing... bob had a must go to doc appt today, the mask will not work because of hearing aids. i got the t-shirt sleeve mask, it works but he can't put it on himself because he can't lift his arm over his head... so far i am wearing mask, but when the humid heat his us i don't think i can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. They're a pain in the posterior extremities.

      Delete
  20. This is such a tender post about your Mom. She is as lovely as that pink rose.
    Thanks for sharing your heart with us.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents