
I returned to walk Packery Channel Park Friday morning. I choose to make several treks here in the future since it's a 'trail less traveled' by many. At least until the pandemic is over [which now 'they' say may not be until the year 2021!!]. So, since not many birds were seen, I concentrated my lens to other things. Birds being first choice, wildflowers would be second on the string of favorite subjects. As I stepped down off the Audubon's 2nd gazebo to take the trailhead off into the wooded area, I noticed a new sign since the last time I was there. Watch Out For Snakes. Y'think?!!! Heck, I knew that long before the trail was open to birders/hikers. Guess the issue of a warning as such is for Hikers for Dummies. T'weren't many birds out in the open fields. I did see thru my binoculars several indigo buntings, both the blue male and brown female. Many Red-winged blackbirds, Grackles [goes without saying...they're everywhere], doves, warblers, mottled duck on the pond and a lone blue and white dappled immature Little Blue Heron. And a squirrel. With flora seen, there are still remnants of winter-kill in places, a nice contrast to the bright, happy, Spring growth. Shows me, the world keeps on turning!!! Our change of seasons [without snowfall]....











The Grackles were kind enough to share with this little guy!!


After the Channel Park, and then Audubon Sanctuary, I walked Sand Dollar Road where I know of a lady that has a yard filled with feeders, fresh cut fruits, hummingbird nectar, seeds, and suet cakes. Her yard is a bird sanctuary all on its own. There, I saw quite a few warblers, yellow headed blackbirds, orioles, doves and two species of hummingbirds. One summer tanager. And...guess? Those pesky grackles!!
I walked back to the car and stopped at the grocery store on the way home. Since today is Bud's birthday, and we can't go out to our traditional restaurant for our jumbo Gulf, butterflied, shrimp [Erik suggested carry out and then eat on the beach...nope, not our cup of tea. We don't like sand in the shrimp batter]. I bought some frozen butterfly shrimp and will fix it up for him. He's gonna have to be content with that this year.
I bet your shrimp will taste every bit as good as at the restaurant. Your photos are so sharp, colorful, and lifelike today! Were they taken with a new camera? They are gorgeous! The squirrel closeup, I love his big beautiful tail. And the flowers, my word!
ReplyDeleteSame camera, same photographer, different day. Lol. Thanks, Ginny.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Bud! The shrimp dinner sounds great. Love the flowers photos and the cute squirrel. I heard Texas may be one of the first states to open, I am sure that is a relief for the businesses. Take care! Thank you for linking up and sharing yPS, thanks for the comment on my blog.
Thanks for hosting Eileen!
DeleteI'm loving all those flowers. Everything is covered in snow here today and there are still a few stray snowflakes falling.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Bud.
I really detest snow. But it's beneficial.
Deletewonderful the flowers and and the cute squirrel!!! Happy Birthday to Bud!
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend, Elke
Thank you so much, Elke!
DeleteHappy birthday, Bud. We've had three birthdays so far under lockdown in a family of seven. I hope we get out before the next two in July and November. Great photos, Anni. Be safe. Jo
ReplyDeleteI understand completely. Life has changed drastically for so many. For me, it's pretty much the same (walking & birding) except for shopping. Still that is a hassle, but I'm trying to keep busy otherwise.
Deletehappy birthday Bud, I love shrimp. yum... the squirrel is waving the I surrender flag to get the virus to stop. love all the flowers, I love flowers first, birds second, so I am happy with your findings. warning signs to me are always obvious, but I assume there must be some that would not think of snakes in the woods or that they could fall off a cliff, or drown in deep water, or drive off a road on a mountain...
ReplyDeleteLol. Love your thoughts on warning signs!
DeleteI wonder what caused that beware of snakes sign to appear. And happy birthday to Bud, even if he doesn't get his usual shrimp dinner, I'm sure he will love yours. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am making apple turnovers right now, for him.
DeleteDon't visit here if you detest snow. We got 5" heavy wet stuff overnight. I love your photo #5 with the little red seeds popping out of their pods. Oh, and the squirrel tail rear end views are wonderful! Happy Bday to Bud. Next year have double portions!
ReplyDeleteNo, I'll stay here. It's misting...donxt have to scoop that. Lol
DeleteHappy Bday to Bud....I am 100% sure he was happy a a clam to have his Jumbo shrimp at home sans ....sand. Bryan's is 4/27. That day I have a SURPRISE for him on the blog. Shhhh it is a secret.
ReplyDeleteYour collage is gorgeous. It is raining buckets here currently. The forecast was for a sprinkle or too. LOL
Hugs cecilia
You left me no clues?
DeleteHello Anni. Beautiful photos. Happy birthday to bud.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anu!
DeleteFun photos!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Bud...was it today or yesterday...I was trying to tell if this was maybe posted late yesterday but all comments are today's...so probably today.
ReplyDeleteI sure enjoyed your photos...each one was just a joy to look at.
Today, the 18th.
Delete❤️
ReplyDelete☺
DeleteBeautiful pics, Anni... especially the fat little squirrel. And Happy Birthday to Bud! Hope you both have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rian!
DeleteHappy Birthday Bud. Hope you enjoy your shrimp with out the condiment of sand. Like the others I got a kick out of the flashing tail of the squirrel and lucky you seeing an Indigo Bunting. I have only seen one in my life.
ReplyDeleteThey show in large numbers during migration.
DeleteThe cute squirrel stole my heart !!! Congratulations to Bud!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your invitation and for your visit!
Enjoy your weekend!
Hi again, Ella. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteThank you for this interesting post Anni. Lots of lovely photos and enjoyed reading very much. Happy Birthday Bud! The butterflied shrimp meal you are going to have will be delicious and tide you over until you can get back to your favorite restaurant. I have linked up on your birding blog. Thanks so much for the invite.
ReplyDeleteGlad knowing you decided to share your oics!
DeleteAbsolutely gorgeous photos!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that bushy tailed squirrel ❤
"Watch Out for Snakes 🐍"!!!
Hugs and Stay Safe 🌷
He was feisty!
DeleteIf I should choose a favorite, it would be #4. Flowers are a nice alternative to birds! We see indigo buntings here often, but it is the painted bunting that I long for. Bud might be like the kid I saw on fb..."I want to go get something to eat. I am tired of eating groceries."
ReplyDeleteI just saw a male PB this morning.
DeleteHappy Birthday Bud! I know you prepared him a feast! We are having such good homemade meals! I hope I don't gain weight! lol LOVE the flowers and pretty birds!
ReplyDeleteWeight gain is part of our house arrest, methinks.
DeleteHappy Birthday to Bud! I guess he had a covid 19 birthday too. I love your photos - are your parks there open - our parks are closed. A lot of nice shots tho. I would love to know how you put your photo on the top and side of your blog - I think that is gorgeous! sandie
ReplyDeleteYou have to know how to write up html coding.
DeleteI enjoyed seeing all the lovely flowers. I do not go out to eat that often, but I am sure I will really enjoy that first restaurant meal, once we are able to go out.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to go out to eat. Lol
DeletePretty pictures! Happy Birthday Bud!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mari
DeleteHappy Birthday Bud. Don't even recall last time I ate in cafe
ReplyDeleteI know. We never did like take-out. Much rather sit & dine or stay home.
DeleteWhat a beautiful walk you had, thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteOur kitty, Isaiah is a rescue (adopted). Thanks for visiting.
Deleteso many beautiful flowers. We still have a few weeks before we are at that point. :) love the butterfly.
ReplyDelete