
Since my heart condition triggers SVT when I consume real chocolate [or anything with caffeine], I try to find something made of white chocolate which contains no caffeine when my sweet tooth says I 'gotta have something' to break the craving. Long ago, I used to make chocolate bark [candy] for the holidays. And everyone loved it. It is so easy even a child can make this and be proud to accomplish participating in preparing for Christmas. [Maybe even a Santa treat or a boxed gift for your letter carrier perhaps?]. Now-a-days there are so many flavors of baking chips. This time around, for Bud and me, I used a small bag of Nestle's White Chips [no cocoa, so no caffeine]. And for a salty sweet treat, I added lightly salted almonds to the bark. This is our New Year's Day goodness this year. I'll have a couple of pieces, Bud will have the rest...he can eat anything.
It only takes about 5 minutes from start to finish.
You can just melt the chips in the microwave as they come out of the bag, but I always use a tsp of oil [or shortening] to keep the chips from seizing. The oil keeps the sugars from seizing...the oil is keeping it smooth while melting the chips. If you don't add the oil, the bark will be grainy textured. At least that is what happens to me....
Okay. First, line a cookie sheet with waxed paper... In a medium to large bowl pour in:
A small bag of chips [7.2 oz.?]
add:
i tsp. oil or shortening
Melt at high for 30 seconds...take out and stir.
Put the bowl back in the microwave and cook for another minute [depending on your microwave, it could be less time or longer time] Do not overcook.
Take out, stir until creamy and lump-free.
Pour onto papered cookie sheet, spread the mixture evenly.
I topped my melted chips with lightly salted almonds [crushed with a rolling pin]. Press almonds into the mixture [I use a slightly dampened hand to keep the nuts from sticking to my hand]. Chill until well set. Break into pieces.

Oh, I think I'll do a taste test for y'all to see if this is worthy of posting about it...
Yep, sure 'nough, it is. Sweet, a bit salty, smooth in texture...delicious. Enjoy. And Happy New Year.

Yum. I used to make different kinds of bark at work. I always seemed to have problems melting the white chocolate.
ReplyDeleteIt's tricky. That's why I add a tiny bit of oil to the chips.
DeleteHello, the white chocolate bark looks delicious. Sounds easy too. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHappy birding in 2020! I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy New Year!
It is VERY easy.
Deletelooks good to me, I gave up sugar 3 years ago, so will not try this. I don't think I could live without my coffee. the chocolate I can stand but not coffee.. I did not realize the chocolate could effect your heart. now I know..
ReplyDeleteYou probably mean you gave up refined sugar, right? There are natural sugars even in veggies & fruits. And it's the caffeine in chocolate that kicks up the heart rate...the darker the chocolate, the higher the caffeine.
DeleteDid not know that about white chocolate and caffeine. I try to avoid caffeine so I will definitely try your recipe. It really looks good. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteIt's delicious. And so easy.
DeleteIt looks really yummy. I wanted to take a bit of my tablet, but I resisted. :-)
ReplyDeleteNeed your tablet without bites taken off it!
DeleteThat does look delicious! And so easy!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
It is both delicious AND easy.
DeleteLooking Good!! Yummy... Have a super wonderful New Year.... :)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Me. B
DeleteI eat anything and everything - no problem but my teeth don't like nuts. They sure stick in crevices. I'm going to make this for others, though and some for me without nuts. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThat's the way it is for me and popcorn.
DeleteOh and I think the size of bag is 12 oz.
DeleteI wasn't sure (that's why there is,a question mark!)
DeleteWhat a wonderful New Year gift!! I have never made this before, but now I want to try it! Can I use this recipe with any flavor chips? And I guess I can put anything crunchy on it I want, I am thinking broken pretzel pieces. I hope you have a wonderful new year!!
ReplyDeleteHmmmm, chocolate chips & pretzel pieces. Yum.
DeleteOh, one other question. After it has set, I can leave it out of the fridge?
ReplyDeleteYa, you can have it out, but it will not remain too crunchy (think what the chips are like at room temp).
DeleteOMG 😮... you can’t have coffee or chocolate!? I’m so sorry. That would be so hard. I love good coffee and really good dark chocolate (and I thought I had read somewhere that dark chocolate was good for your heart - but apparently not. Your recipe for whites chocolate with almonds does look good!
ReplyDeleteI have never liked coffee. But a good piece of chocolate would be nice...the caffeine triggers SET (100-250 beats a minute!)...resulting a trip to ER
DeleteAnd, I didn't know there no caffeine in white chocolate either. Thanks so much for posting this. I will be trying this! My Hubby can eat anything too; just not fair, I think!
ReplyDeleteI know...it isn't fair for sure.
DeleteAllergies are tricky. Hubby cannot have dairy, yeast or eggs. It's quite a challenge.
ReplyDeleteHappy new year!
Oh, allergies are not fun.
DeleteI have made this before and it is delicious! thank you for sharing this recipe and the knowledge that it is caffeine free. Happy New Year to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteYep, for me, no cafffeine.
DeleteI prefer milk chocolate to the white, but this does look really tasty.
ReplyDeleteIt is. I like chocolate, but don't want any trips to the ER
DeleteNow that looks wonderful! Thank you for the recipe Anni :)
ReplyDeleteI originally came in to wish you all A Happy New Year too :)
ReplyDeleteIf you don't mind, I might copy and paste this to save it...it sounds delicious.
ReplyDelete