Birding Texas 101


Y'all know by now, that when I take my day trippin' travels and share photos, my main purpose is to head to my destination to tally my steps for the day and to take in some birding. Well, over the last year, I have taken, literally, tens of thousands of photos of birds. Some, I have shared on my bird photo blog, while others,  saving them for record keeping. My record keeping is just that...each photo is dated, so when I go back into my archived folders, I know which birds are in my area in that month. Some migrate of course, while most are year 'round residents of South Texas. I thought I'd take one photo from each month's photo record and publish them on Day Trippin' for a change of pace. These frames were added before I changed the template, eliminating my blog's sidebar, and redesigned the frame to a simpler one. [I also have chosen twelve for 'nature' of each month in 2019 to be published at a later date]. Here goes. Birds for the month of:

January 2019 - Brown Pelican



February 2019 - Crested Caracara



March 2019 - White Winged Dove



April 2019 - Reddish Egret

[below, is a white morph, there is a dark morph also which is aptly named and more common.] This particular white morph is in breeding colors. Note the pink and blue on the face...just when breeding. Also, the open wing stance is called a canopy and is believed they do this when hunting for food to shade the water surface for better visibility.  Guide books and websites will tell you this is the only bird that will canopy when feeding, but I have seen egrets doing the very same, and have recorded it with photo proof.  Did the egrets evolve to this behavior also?



May 2019 - Chipping Sparrow



June 2019 - Fledging Northern Mockingbird



July 2019 - Northern Cardinal in molt.  Molting takes place after breeding and takes weeks to regrow new feathers.



August 2019 -Tri-colored Heron



September 2019 - Great Blue Heron



October 2019
- Summer Tanager
This is a female, the male is all red. Sometimes sighted are dappled yellow, orange and red...the dappled is anywhere from 1 year to adult plumage.



November 2019 - Green Jay
Interesting fact - I kinda secretly tend to call this the "mockingbird of the jay family". If not careful, you may think you hear a hawk [or several other bird calls, sometimes it sounds like a cat's meow] calling from the trees, then to discover it is the green jay!!  They are only seen in South Texas, rare sightings.  Mainly a bird of Old Mexico.



December 2018 - Herring Gull
Herring Gulls are one of few gulls that have yellow eyes. There are literally dozens of different gulls around Texas, and sometimes, if lucky, a rogue from another part of the States or Caribbean will visit. At first, they're difficult to ID at times unless you know specific anatomy and colors to associate.  For instance wing markings, eye color, leg color, size, breeding colors, bill shape and markings, like the ring billed gull.  Guess what?  It has a ring around its bill!



[Corpus Christi had a Bar-Tailed Godwit show up in our parks and bay area... from Britain, a few years back.  And birders were literally FLOCKING -pun intended- to our town with tripods, cameras and binoculars; from all over USA and close by foreign lands.  Of course, I was too]  Bud, at times, went with me to help locate it among the local godwits ... and once he made reference to the showing of so many 'crazy' bird watchers it was like the movie [based on a non-fiction book of the same title] The Big Year -starring Steve Martin and other well-known names.  It was, and oftentimes is just exactly like the movie.  If you've never seen the movie it's a good one.  Fun, funny, educational, well written and directed.  And if you do decide to watch it, you will see a bit of me in it too.  Not physically, but me as one of those fanatic birders.

32 comments:

  1. Well I have to say this year in review is for the birds...lol I love them all but Novembers green jay is stunning with those colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. The jay is a remarkable bird of colors. When in flight the tail is so yellow.

      Delete
  2. I have other friends who are birders, but nothing like you, Anni. You definitely classify as fanatic. Great shots! And your background flowers are really different, and pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen several of these when I was in Florida. Ha ha, poor birds, molting is not a good look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your birds of the year series with their descriptions is a wonderful way of display and education. Thank you. This was a very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did see that movie, and loved it. Love your pictures too. And I really enjoyed reading your comments on the birds; many of which I did not know. for the overall effect of the picture, my favorite has to be the first Pelican one. It is so artistic, and almost looks like an oil painting. I also love the Egret making a canopy and taking those long steps, and the Heron in the sun. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite movies. Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
  6. Anni, I have never seen a green jay. That is interesting. Love your pics! And now I will definitely look for that movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like birding, you'll like the movie, I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. Always so enjoyable to day trip with you and your lovely birds in so many various places of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An impressive record and I do love all your photos. A learning experience for me also as I often find when I visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good idea. You get to see so many great birds. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to pick good ones for each month. Thanks Ruth

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos.That first one of the pelican looks like a painting.
    My favorites are the herring gull and cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown pelicans are my favorite of the two kinds here in Texas.

      Delete
  11. This is absolutely wonderful. Of course, one just must choose a favorite. That's hard! I love them all, really, but I know the Brown Pelican is a real prize. However, since I have spent so many hours chasing our Great Blue Herons around the farm, I'll have to go with that one. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the herons too. And, the pelicans...all of the above. Lol

      Delete
  12. Such diligence and organization, not to mention some very beautiful photos. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning review of the year, love that green jay. All the very best Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I'll stop by and visit with you tomorrow (Sunday)

      Delete
  14. What a great idea! I would love to do this too! What a great year we've both had and I SO appreciate your linky party every weekend! I see so many wonderful birds and learn a few things as I go along too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know you enjoy everything sweet Diane!

      Delete
  15. I so enjoyed these...made me think. I cannot recall if you have ever said you have netflix...but have you seen Dancing with the Birds? I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots. There is a bit of code you can get to disallow pinning your images.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents