First, before I begin for my day trippin' stuff, I want to mention that Bud and I went to the 1st showing of the movie, MIDWAY, on its opening day, Friday. I can't say enough about it...in my opinion it was an extraordinary movie. 90-99% accurate in historical value, acting was exceptional...and effects were awesome. Why the first 2 minutes of the movie had me hooked. Wow...the aircraft carrier coming right towards me!! Okay...movie review done, now I move on....Another morning, just before a strong cold front moved in, the fog in the air was patchy. Here and there dense fog; while other areas along my drive it was trying to show a bit of early morning sunlight. I was driving over the harbor bridge to Indian Point Park in hopes of seeing some migrant ducks [buffleheads and mergansers mainly]. In the east the sun was breaking above the horizon and the misty air gave the sky a mixture of muted colors along the bay and tidal pools....
Arriving at the parking lot, the pier was silhouetted by the calm sea; the stillness of the hour set up the tranquil scene...

Along the shore herons, cormorants, pelicans and gulls were resting on the rocky outcroppings, while a couple of turnstones were in search of breakfast. Early arriving fishermen were gearing up to head out on the pier and hope for catching a flounder or two. Maybe sea bass. As I was viewing the city-scape on the shore across the bay, the fog laid among the high rises and the harbor bridge was only faintly visible...


As I was looking toward town, from my peripheral vision, off my left shoulder, I saw a darker area on the top of the water, with a bit of movement!! As I turned my head, I could see the rippled remains of something that had dived below the surface. I stood and waited for whatever it was [I had an idea of WHAT] to come up for air. After what seemed an eternity, it made itself visible again. Yes!! It was a loon. And it had a large catch in its mouth. This instigated a walk on the pier for me. I wanted to get a clear photo of the migrant bird. [by the way, I LOVE their calling]. As I took steps, I'd stop to watch the bird. Then, it dived underwater again....its common ritual/habits. As I inched my way, it'd resurface and dive again. I did get some photos. But, not good ones...the weather wasn't cooperating, not enough light OR color; even tho the bird is mostly black and white, the bay was gray and the sky was grayer!! LOL When I finally decided enough is enough, I started walking back to the car and a heron landed on one of the pier's lights....


Nearing the end of the pier walkway, along the shoreline breaker, I notice again, some movement. This time on the rocks! I played a bit with my Paintshop Pro software on the two photos I snapped and put them into ONE image:

Can you "spot" it?
...if not, look HERE
To get my step count up, I left the car at Indian Point and walked the park road to the trail that takes me to Sunset Lakes. This is a co-owned area...Indian Point is Corpus Christi, while Sunset Lakes is maintained by Portland Texas Parks. It's only about a 2-3 mile walk round trip. I walked the trail and returned to the car to call it a morning and head home. But, I did take a few photos along the trail. And I ended up playing with THOSE photos with PSP pro too. I used the soften tab on the original [the original is in the insets] and then framed them...


Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corps! Today, 244 years in the making!! Oooorah.
I spotted the cat right away after reading it was there. that heron is so funny stanind tall up there. my favorite is the pier and close second is the city skyline through the fog. that is so beautiful... what a great morning to be there. I don't think I have ever seen a cat in a spot like that close to the water...
ReplyDeletePoor kitty...I hope it was from the nearby homes.
DeleteHello, the sunrise and pier shots are lovely. Cute kitty. I like the heron on the light pole. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!
ReplyDeleteSunrise, as you know by now, is a favorite time for me.
DeleteMuch fun. We will miss the loons and herons.
ReplyDeleteI love loons (and cats)
DeleteI spotted the cat immediately because "one of these things does not belong..." Your city-scape foggy shot is really nice! I really like the one-legged heron too.
ReplyDeleteYou're good at finding the "hidden"!
DeleteWhat gorgeous photos!!!!!! -happy sigh-
ReplyDeleteAll that walking! Good for you!!!
😊🔥😊
I took up the walking daily (if I can) after my heart attack...now, even tho it's a necessity I really enjoy my quiet time with nature.
DeleteSadly I missed the cat till I looked "here." Now I can't not see it.
ReplyDeleteGuess that heron is keeping one leg warm and rested.
Your guess is as good as mine. I've read that it's a warming technique. Who knows? Just a theory.
DeleteWonderful photos Anni and good eye spotting the kitty!
ReplyDeleteIt was a beautiful kitty I might add. :-)
DeleteWhat a pretty cat. I spotted it right away. All the photos are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would've seen it at all if it hadn't moved.
DeleteLove your photos today! The pier is gorgeous and the heron is so cool! I did spot that cat.
ReplyDeleteWe really want to see that movie.
I think you'd like the movie. You & hubby can have a dinner/movie date!
DeleteWhat is this gorgeous blue flower!! Though we have a lot of Herons, I have never seen any standing on one leg like this. Te sunrise over the water is beautiful. I love those two real misty pictures, they are so moody and beautiful. Loons! How wonderful...I love their calls as well. Have never seen a real one in my life, only on T.V.
ReplyDeleteI think the blue wildflower is a day lily(day floer) or something like that.
DeleteToo bad you couldn't get better pictures of the Loon.I love that bird and get excited each spring when they show up on my local lake.
ReplyDeleteThe lighting wasn't that good, but I DID take photos.
DeleteI love your pictures, but especially those foggy ethereal ones of the skyline and the bridge. And the cute one-legged heron, too. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love fog!
DeleteIt been ages since I saw a movie. I'm a history buff and I bet I would like midway.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on
If you like history, you'd probably enjoy the movie
DeleteMany of the photos today seemed to me to have a moody atmosphere - very nice!
ReplyDeleteIt definitely was moody (weather-wise)
DeleteLoved the shot of the pier.
ReplyDeleteIt's a nice place to be there at sunrise.
DeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteA perfect morning atmosphere, yes?
DeleteLovely photos. I especially like the shading effect around the edges.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra
DeleteBeautiful shots. You are blessed to have so many wonderful places full of nature's wonders to walk around and take pictures of. I wouldn't have any trouble getting all my steps in, in surroundings like those.
ReplyDeleteIt can be a perfect setting most always.
DeleteIt can be a perfect setting most always.
Delete