It's downright COLD HERE this morning. I won't be going out today, I don't think. It's windy [gusts up to 40mph], the real time temp is 36 degrees, and the windchill is in the high 20s!!!!! Oh yes, and it has been raining off and on since 6 pm last night. Yesterday at 5 pm it was 80 degrees, the cold front moved in, and the temp dropped 17 degrees in less than an hour. By bedtime last night it was a whopping 49 degrees; I'm not complaining one iota. This is GOOD for me. I'd prefer the cold, damp to humid and hot. lol But, of course, if the cold lasts too long I'll be wanting warmer weather.
So, since I'll be staying around home for most of the day, I'll just have a gab session here...
I framed with my software a few photos of feathers in the wild. Feathers [and their construction] fascinate me as much as the bird they fell from. Some are waterproof, while others aren't. Why, you wonder? The colors can be deceptive also...for instance the blue jay feathers are NOT blue. They're brown in fact. It's scientifically proven. Just google blue jay feathers are brown...





...then, reflections of a warmer time in the not so distant past...





I made a turkey header for both my blogs, for Thanksgiving, just this morning....I felt a bit lost not having to ready to go out walking!!!
Sunday, our half price book store had texted me a 50% coupon. I bought two books. Both new and discounted....then, with the half off, I got two books for the price of one --at discounted prices. Half off of half off equals a fourth the price of the books at the publishers!! Right? The books are about Winston Churchill and the other: Sam Houston and the Alamo. I'm reading the one on Houston and the Alamo first. I hope to learn more of Texas history on their independence and the character of each individual who fought for their freedom from Santa Anna. It'll be a good day to sit and read.
It's seem impossible the Blue Jays feathers aren't blue doesn't it? I hate cold rainy days that make my bones ache. That's one reason I moved from Tennessee to Florida back in the 1970's. Tennessee has more cold, wet days in winter with gray skies - I absolutely hated January, February so much then. Now it's my favorite time of year. Wishing you beautiful days - if I could wish it so, I'd send you sunshine and warmth!
ReplyDeleteAfter the dreary day, I'd welcome the sun.
DeleteHello, interesting facts on the Blue Jay's color. We are having a chilly rainy day, hopefully no snow. I am not a winter person but I do not like the hot and humid days either. Pretty images. Wishing you a happy day and week ahead.
ReplyDeleteMD gets quite a bit of snow, doesn't it? Of course, that doesn't mean you have to like it.
DeleteI love your turkey header! The detail!! The weather is the same here, and I have to make a trip over the mountain to the doctor. A day of rest for you! Maybe some artwork? I imagine the waterproof feathers are from the water birds? I have read that the Indigo bunting's feathers are not really blue,either.
ReplyDeleteYes, I read that about the buntings as well.
Deletethose of us who read, never have a problem with cold or rain or bad weather days.. what a deal you got... I LOVE the header, really do!!! the first feather is my favorite and I did not know about the blue brown colors of the jay. enjoy your day indoors. we are supposed to get the front you have, sometime tonight, rain in the evening and wake up to cold.. but ours will be 59 … perfect to me..
ReplyDelete59° sounds perfect. I agree.
DeleteLove your new Header!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYup, winter has arrived in many places.
Me too, I detest hot and mostly humid.
-chuckle- So blue jay feathers are brown! What a fact!!! Gotta' love nature.
Stay warm!!!!
⛄🔥⛄🔥⛄
Wonter, winter everywhere.
DeleteFeathers are fascinating. Love the pictures you share.
ReplyDeleteYou and I cherish the same things in nature!
DeleteReally like your turkey header.
ReplyDeleteTemperatures have drastically dropped here too.
Interesting tidbit about the blue jay feather's really being brown. Who would have thought.
I was shocked when I learned blue jays are brown. Lol
DeleteHere in central KY it is 27 degrees. I don't think we will hit our high of 29! lol No school due to black ice this morning, so it has been a good day for reading, for me as well.
ReplyDeleteWhatcha readin'?
DeleteFeel your pain. It was 19 degrees this AM but we have warmed up to a balmy 31 mid day. Me too on inside looking good today.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting about the blue birds being brown. So glad you provided the link for I was having a hard time processing and now I understand. Weird but interesting.
Processed thoughts are as difficult to digest as processed foods!
DeleteYour weather is about the same here in North Idaho, but no wind chill here.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on
When I talked with my sister, she was warmer in Colorado!!
DeleteWow, that's quite the temperature drop you had. It's cold and snowing here.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures of the feathers and that's really fascinating about the bluejay feathers.
Yes a huge drop. But, we were warned it was coming.
DeleteYou are definitely in the deep freeze. It's raining here and on the cool side, but we are part of the country that is missing this awful freeze. I too love your turkey header. He's just beautiful! I think it's the same with rufus hummingbirds: they don't really have ruby red throats. Do you know anything about them? :-)
ReplyDeleteI've only seen one...they are more southwest compared to ruby throated
DeleteIt's freezing here too, and supposed to get colder. Snowing too!
ReplyDeleteI love the feather pics. Feathers are really amazing.
Freezing is expected in MI...here, not so much.
Delete+14 here this morning. When I saw that you were going to get a cold front I hoped it wouldn't be too terrible. I LOVE your feather photos! Such strong and delicate and beautiful creations of nature! Your turkey header is very impressive!
ReplyDeleteI sure miss your blogging!
Delete14°? Brrrrr.
Thank you for explaining about the Blue Jay and I sure enjoyed your photos. Cold here too but like you I prefer this to the heat and humidity of the summer, until I start turning into a popsicle :)
ReplyDeleteExactly!
Delete