Big Nosed Kate [and Hazel] - and a bit of TOMBSTONE [AZ]




It was rainy this morning, so I stayed indoors; worked on a jigsaw puzzle and following the spirit of the season, I just now finished a pencil sketch I've been working on the last week or so....


Meet witch Hazel
I also did a witch painting years ago if you've not seen it before....find it HERE

Hopefully, I will be able to attend the Day of the Dead Festival this weekend! I've gone to them for the last 5 years or so, and it's a fun atmosphere and I get to add names of my family to the listings on the walls of those that left me behind...my mom, dad, brothers, and brother in law. Plus some pets' names. And, of course, walk around and get into that mode with the street music and revelers....hopefully some painted faces and those in costume. We are supposed to have a biggo cold front move into our area of the coast starting tomorrow; putting the low temps into the 40's overnight! That's downright cold for us!!! But, for the festival, it will be a pleasant, cool sunny day. And I'll be wearing my new shirt. I apologize for the wrinkled look, I hand washed it and it needs to be steamed a bit before I wear it. I think I'll probably have to wear leggins to keep my legs warm outdoors with the predicted temps, the sea breeze will be coming in through all the buildings on the streets...chilly.

Oh, and one more thing....I finished reading a book .... one of the most boring books I've ever put my hands on.  It had 4 stars behind it on Amazon, and some of the buyers' reviews were so positive, I ordered it.  I actually ordered it for Bud to read first.  LOL  It's of a subject that we both became interested in when we lived in Arizona.  Going to Tombstone often, we frequented the   O K Corral [where the famous gunfight between the Earp brothers and the Clanton family took place.]  And many times while there, spending the day, we'd have a burger and beer at Big Nosed Kate Saloon.  Big Nosed Kate was Doc Holliday's love interest [sometimes a wife, depending on who's historical account you read].  Well, not much has ever been written about Kate.  The new book is supposedly a factual writing of her, taken from some of the letters and historical text....very true.  Well, I don't agree....it was nothing but pure hearsay in my opinion.  And really, nothing new learned about her.  I was determined to finish the book, hoping to read something worthy.  Nada.  Thing is....Bud enjoyed the heck out of it.  [must admit that the historical photos of all the OLD WEST were the best of perusing the book]. 


28 comments:

  1. That sketch is awesome. Hope you have a great time at the festival.
    Too bad about the book. It sounds like one of those love it or hate it kind of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hope the weather isn't bad! Thanks Ann

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have got a big talent, that sketch is so amazing! Love that idea☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so incredibly talented. Love the sketch, and I'll steer clear of that book. But glad Bud liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you were an artist!!! These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are better than I am, I have never read a boring book, if it is boring I put it down, I have put books down after the first 10 pages and even after half the book. of course mine are all fiction. I LOVE the Witch-Hazel sketch. even more than the super painting you did. I love the so ugly she is beautiful sketch... color me envious of you talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sketch and I hope you get to enjoy the festival. We are headed for a deep freeze and drenching rains for the next couple of days. Not good for our Halloween and fall festivities that are scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like colder air after such a long hot summer...but not a deep freeze.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE your witch, you are amazingly talented! And the one you did a few years ago is awesome! You really breathe life into them! I hope you get to go to the festival, and bring back lots of pictures. Fingers crossed that the weather stays good! Here, the weather is to be terrible for Halloween! Lots of wind and rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take pics if I attend this year.

      Delete
  9. The sketch is great. You are so talented. Sorry about the book but you did get it for Bud and he liked it so not a total loss.
    How awful it must've been to be known as Big Nose Kate. Maybe in the day, big noses were fashionable. At least Doc liked her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that she was called that 'cause she had her nose in everybody's business.

      Delete
  10. Your witch's eyes are really witchy! Great sketch! Love her. Enjoy the festival and be warm. The best book I've read lately was "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I put it down several times because I didn't want it to end - what an ending!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read mixed reviews of that book. Glad to read your opinion!

      Delete
  11. What a great sketch! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least Bud liked the book! :)
    I love your witch sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't understand why he thought it was good. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  13. Your sketches are wonderful...such natural talent.
    Anni I give you 10* for finishing the boring book. If I'm not caught up in the first few pages I give up.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continued with the book, hoping to read something new.

      Delete
  14. You have so much talent...I so wish I had even a tenth of your sketching ability.

    Now I want to look at that book...just to see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I'd like your input on the book!

      Delete

Table of Contents