"Weather" or Not....


Today, May 11th, Bud and I celebrate 51 years of marriage!!!!


As predicted, a large rain-filled front came into South Texas. All day Thursday, the weathermen and alerts warned us to batten-down the hatches. Flooding rainfall, high winds, and a slight, but possible tornado here and there. Well, around 4 am Friday, it began. As I type this, the rain has stopped, and the back yard and streets are flooded. Then, there will be a 2nd go-round Saturday with MORE rain and high winds. By Sunday it should be cleared out and far out to sea. [At least in our area].

Well, Thursday morning, then, I went to Mustang Island and checked it out. Another birder that I have befriended who lives in Port Aransas was just leaving a birding hotspot as I came in. She said she was going back home to prepare for the storms. I checked out the two areas and then headed to the beach....the forecast was for extreme high tides. So, Beware!! I did experience high tide...and rough swells on the sea. I took pictures. I will make this a two part posting. Today, flowers....the next post, part two will be the beach photos....


Wildflowers and seed are prevalent everywhere I look...


Yellow is the dominant color and twisted trees line the park road...


At the birding facilities park benches are 'the norm' and white trumpet vines are in bloom...


Paradise Pond has turned into a swamp of Sci-Fi scenery.  Dead Trees and silence makes one think we are not of this world.  [damage from hurricane].  Wild Poinsettias are becoming quite colorful [last of two photos above is a poinsettia bush].  And then....


....a close up.



As I headed to the beach, blue sky burst through the overcast for just a few minutes before gray returned.  Yes, the tide was in...the sea took over the parking area....up to the dunes!!  I had to traipse through the salty tide now and then.  A few ships, many gulls and pelicans and terns were on a feeding frenzy with the food being washed in by the surf.  One lone caracara [Mexican Sea Eagle] was on the prowl for something to scavenge.  I took out my lens ball too.

Coming in a day or two, those beach photos.  Part Two
In the meantime, I have my oars and snorkel apparatus, ready for more rain....





20 comments:

  1. I like that twisted tree. Amazing how it grows like that. That poinsettia bush is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like poinsettias, a bit. But I like the holiday hybrids better.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I wish you many more happy years! Love the photos. Enjoy your day and Happy Mother's Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary, Anni! And I too love your pictures, especially that trumpet vine. I saw your weather on my news, so it was a huge storm, all right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hum-dinger while it lasted. So far, today...misty!

      Delete
  4. Best wishes for more joyous anniversaries! Weather seems to rule no matter where we reside! Your dandelion shot is my favorite today. I look forward to the second part of your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the flowers are amazing and yellow ones are my favorite. happy Anniversary and hope you don't have to much of a storm again today. we got a 15 minute one inch during the night.Big woke my up for comfort. it was enough to fill the rain barrel. can't wait to see the beach and high surf pics. I only cook with electric also, have never used anything but that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you got some rain! Oh happy day.

      Delete
  6. Whether or not it's about the weather or whether it's not, your nature photos always make my day and trees are so much of a gift for us all, as is that sweet little sparrow you posted. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the poinsetta picture, it looks like there are two different kinds of leaves. The one kind is so beautiful and unusual. They have a big dip in the center; I have not seen leaves like that before. Are the twisted trees supposed to be that way for decoration, or are they kind of stunted? So may cool things to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coloration is one leaf..
      But, yes looks like two.

      Delete
  8. I left a post but am not sure it went through. Happy Anniversary to you and you're hubby. You got some lovely pictures.Looking forward to see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure are getting some rough weather... rainiest year ever I think I heard throughout the USA... At least here another cloudy dreary day with more rain promised. Glad I don't have a basement anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those twisted trees! Also the second photo is wonderful....
    I want to wish you and Bud a belated Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents