Duck, Duck, Goose Pond...


My walking/photography time was short this last outing. I stopped at one park only, and there was a lot of mud and standing water just about every step of the way. My stop was at a small family park with a small tree-lined lake. In fact, it’s Lakeview Park. Mainly it’s geese and ducks that inhabit the grounds. And families go there to feed them. I enjoy watching the youngsters, shrieking and giggling with delight, and get excited that the fowl come up to them; begging for more.

While walking around the perimeter, I was threatened [or did I threaten them?] by geese! The ganders took special interest in me, and at times I had to chase them off with my karate kicks. No, not kicking them, literally, but extending my foot toward those that wanted to take a nip out of my calf!! If you’ve ever been bitten by an irritated goose, you understand my stance!! Their pinching bites are painful to say the least.



Lots of water birds...



The northern shovelers were resting on the mud banks, the white ibis were preening in the tree cover, the mallards were for the most part, paired up. As were the muscovy ducks.

Someone had sprinkled cracked corn around and near the parking lot, and the pigeons, gulls, and coots were busy, feeding...



...the coot's large semi-palmated feet are so designed for them to be able to walk atop the swamp vegetation with ease, without sinking. On land, the lobes fold back when the bird lifts its foot, which facilitates walking on a variety of surfaces like mud, grass, and even ice.

Other than a lot of weedy spots and some grassy knolls, there wasn't much in bloom. I found this spot of over-grown dandelions and zoomed in to get the seed...



28 comments:

  1. You could have called this post "almost Pecked"! They look like they mean business with their necks extended. I love your coot foot shots! I have never been able to get a shot of their feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, and the park has dozens of geese!

      Delete
  2. I've never been bit by a goose and have no desire to experience that.
    I like the shot of the Coots feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni. I have been pecked by a goose before and would have kicked out with you, if I was present! I love the last photo of the closeup of the coot's feet and the explanation. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no fun when they're cantankerous.

      Delete
  4. Hello, love all the ducks. The geese can be mean, I have heard them hissing at me. The Coot and his feet are cute. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thursday...right back atcha!

      Delete
  5. Can't help but LOVE those beautiful feet!!! The dandelions are my 2nd favorite spring flower, after daffodils! Come on SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring, yes. Not looking forward to what comes after, tho.

      Delete
  6. Those coot feet are incredible! I had no idea about them and why they needed such big ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda like Ripley's believe it or not today? *wink*

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I've been chased by geese and had two toddlers hanging on my leg at the same time! Was quite a time, they are fast and can scare the daylights out of you! Still love them though! Great shots Anni!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hangers-on...now that conjures quite a picture.

      Delete
  8. I carry a piece of PVC pipe when I’m at the ranch. There are four geese.....Louis Dean calls them Larry, Curly and Moe and Joe! They are a bit aggressive. The last batch of geese they had was not so much. You could spread you arms like wings and advance towards them and they would back off. Not these. We were walking around the big tank and they came up behind Louis Dean. One of them nipped at him and he said he just nearly sang soprano if you know what I mean. Hence the lightweight pvc pipe now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works! This time o' year they get mighty testy.

      Delete
  9. I HAVE NEVER BEEN NIPPED BY A GOOSE,BUT I HAVE ENCOURAGED A FEW TO GIVE ME THE RIGHT OF WAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and most wish to have THEIR right of way! Lol

      Delete
  10. I love those weird feet and did not know that about the coots. I was about to say hate geese but will change that to intensely dislike geese and would not be above kicking one fi it attacks. they are really mean birds. or anything else that attacks from roosters to turkeys. I love the pic of the white and black duck, #5. I think that is a moscobee and I can't spell it. look like ours here but inverted coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was really interesting! I loved learning about the coots feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by & enjoyed your visit

      Delete
  12. Checked in again today..your new owl scared me! What a change! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never been bitten by a goose, but was chased by a whole flock every time I went by them on my bicycle … minding my own business … on my way to school as a kid … I remember having to take a run at it in order to get through … seems funny now but was not very funny then. Anyway … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at the time,I'm sure it was NEVER fun or funny!

      Delete
  14. I came to wish you Happy Birthday...seems like I remember you saying that it was today...same day as our granddaughters. I hope you have a great day! No I have never been pinched by a goose, and I am here to tell you I don't want to be either!

    When Lorelei, her mom and I were in CAlifornia, taking care of Lo's aunt after surgery, there was a pond on her apt. complex, and it had coots, for one thing. Well Sarah and Lorelei stopped and got food for them...and after that, any time this one coot heard Lorelei's voice, here it came. There was a path around the pond for people to walk, and that coot would fool her all the way around. It was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose!! Cute story of your granddaughter & the coot.

      Delete

Table of Contents