PBJ = Plants, Books, and Joy[?}


I can tell you right now, I am ready for Spring!! At least we, down here in South Texas, would have some blue sky once in a while! Ever since September of 2018 we have had so much rain, and days on end without sunshine. I'm really tired of it. Gray sky, barren trees. soppy and muddy ground [the water table just has to be at the ground surface]. Okay, 'nough of me being of the crabby genes, it's time to move on.

First, I promised Ms. G at Connections More that I would update her about a Christmas cactus slip her friend sent me. The first photo is the day the slips arrived. I planted them in potting soil right after I opened the package. The second photo was taken just about a week ago. It's going strong! And thriving. Mostly, it's outdoors, unless the temp drops below 50 degrees. Then, I bring it in until it warms up during the day [if it does]....




When it blooms, it will have the reddest blossoms I've ever seen.  I can't find the photo she shared of her friend's plant 'cause I couldn't find her blog's table of contents.  Maybe she'll find it and share it with us in the comments here.  [nookworm]

ADDENDUM:  Here is the link
- - - -

Then the book I recently finished....it's a good one.  Trust me, it's FICTION, but the characters are real people.  And is it hilarious?  Yes, it is.  It's written in first person [Biden is telling the story throughout - but don't be confused, he is NOT the author], and naturally it takes no imagination to picture Biden and Obama on a murder mystery caper that takes you deep into the unknowns of Delaware with its citizens; and America's boundaries.  The book has been labeled a Bromantic.   Also, yes, as I said, it's quite funny but there are subliminal gestures you catch throughout...like friendship, retirement, old age with a bit of senility added in for humor, aches and pains, golf, memory lane like the 'good ol' days'. security, and more.  Which I found comical 'cause I've experienced a lot of the old age scenarios.  All this is mixed in perfectly with the two solving a murder like Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes.The subjects may not be to the liking of some, but the book is really entertaining.  No matter which side of the political fence you're on, keep and open mind and enjoy the story as intended....  I enjoyed it a lot. HOPE NEVER DIES by Andrew Shaffer.

    From the website: 
    Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, “Amtrak Joe” re-teams with the only man he’s ever fully trusted—the 44th president of the United States. Together they’ll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond,



Now to the book I just received through Amazon...
The Ravenmaster.

I'm about half way through it already. It too is a good read. It's about the Tower of London's Ravens that reside in the Tower and are protected. There is a myth about the Tower's Ravens....if they die or cease to exist, the city of London and tower will fall. Speaking of London, as I am reading, legend has it that the name LONDON could possibly be derived [there are many theories] from the word, Lugdunum [page39]; Celtic, meaning the city of ravens. I don't know how true this is, but I find it kinda eerie in context with the subject[s] of the book.

Anyway, so far I've read about the recent ravens, have been introduced to each one and given their personalities and more. I've learned what the Ravenmaster's position and job details are along with background and history of the animal menagerie throughout the centuries. Some descriptions of the surrounding walls, age, construction and lots of interesting things. The current Ravenmaster, the author of the book, gives the reader a first hand experience of what it's like to look after and keep the ravens alive and well, and regales his Army experiences dealing with the ravens in the Tower, which will guarantee the Tower will remain for ages to come [or so folklore tells us].

The book is quite expensive, but I think it'll be worth the price eventually as I keep all books about birds.  lol 


Trying to take a long walk today at a park, the light mist turned into a downpour, I had to turn around, head back home and be stuck indoors longer than I wanted to be...so, lastly today...some bright flowers to lighten up the dreary day I'm having.  From our backyard on January 18th, 2019...










20 comments:

  1. I'll trade you back yards. You'll see a lot of mud in mine plus some snow (white and yellow). It's dreary here this time of year too. Lots of gray skies and no color. It always makes me feel sluggish.
    That first book you talked about sounds very entertaining. How clever to use real people in a fictional setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't eat yellow snow! Yes that book had me laughing a lot.

      Delete
  2. colorful flowers... I love yellow and red ones.
    have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Tanza! Curious, how are Romeo & Juliet? Any updates?

      Delete
  3. Hello, I love the Christmas Cactus blooms. Your flowers photos are lovely. It has been cloudy and rainy here for months too. I am ready for Spring too. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and predictions say you're to get some snow?

      Delete
  4. I know the feeling of grey.. we have had a ton of it... maybe get a few hours of sun once in awhile. Preparing for snow here but the forecast changes by the hour. Wishing you a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get sun yesterday...but none cutting cold wind to go with it.

      Delete
  5. the flowers are just spectacular. it seems you have had all the rain and we have had none of the rain.. to bad we can't get the amount we need and WANT... I am with you, sunshine makes me happy and rain and clouds and dreary drags me down.. at least you have two books you love. the cactus is looking really good... Christmas cactus need cold, between 50 and 60 to bloom. ours never bloom until we get a cold snap. we went two years with no blooms because it did not get cold enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we did see the sun yesterday...it was nice. But cold.

      Delete
  6. Hi Folks! My friend will be happy to know the slips are thriving. Here is the link to my blog with the photos of her 46 year old plant: https://nookworm-connectionsmore.blogspot.com/2018/05/age-forty-six.html (copy and paste ink to go there) Big snow event is heading my way here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Should have instructed to copy and paste address to go to my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the link you shared, and added a hyperlink as an addendum.

      Delete
  8. I bought it!!! Yes I did! As soon as I read what you have to say, I HAD to have it. The Raven book, of course. Yes, it is expensive. And interestingly enough, on Amazon the paperback is the same price as the hardcover! The used ones only saved about five dollars, so I just went ahead and got a new one. We have had the same weather as you, but no flowers! Yours are gorgeous! I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I'm almost done with it. Probably will finish reading it today.

      Delete
  9. I do hope you will post pictures when that Cactus is in bloom. I know they have beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soppy would be good word to explain weather condition in North Idaho.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents