It was yet again a chilly, blustery, day. The gentle rain didn't begin tho, until after my walking was done for the morning...then, the rain became heavier, and a bit of measurable amount fell.
Beforehand, I decided to go to Indian Point and Sunset Lakes near Portland, Texas. i stopped at the fishing pier first. The chill factor kept the bird life 'at bay' [no pun intended] ....seen only were two seagulls and a few well-hidden [in the mangrove] black crowned night herons protected from the cold...
Beforehand, I decided to go to Indian Point and Sunset Lakes near Portland, Texas. i stopped at the fishing pier first. The chill factor kept the bird life 'at bay' [no pun intended] ....seen only were two seagulls and a few well-hidden [in the mangrove] black crowned night herons protected from the cold...


A couple of mottled ducks rested on the leeward side...

An inlet by the pier pilings showed dowitchers, red breasted mergansers, a snowy egret, some grackles on shore, sandpipers, and pintail ducks.
Getting back into the car, I then drove a few miles northeast along the shoreline to Sunset Lakes. I only walked a short distance and found dozens of both immature and adult spoonbills with white ibis mixed in the gathering by the first observation deck from the parking lot. I was a bit shocked to see the high numbers of them. I took several photos for my other blog, and then mounted the deck via the ramp; startling them off but for a short distance where they landed just a few feet from me. Flyovers consisted of terns, herons, egrets, godwits, curlews, avocets and more ibis and spoonbills...
Getting back into the car, I then drove a few miles northeast along the shoreline to Sunset Lakes. I only walked a short distance and found dozens of both immature and adult spoonbills with white ibis mixed in the gathering by the first observation deck from the parking lot. I was a bit shocked to see the high numbers of them. I took several photos for my other blog, and then mounted the deck via the ramp; startling them off but for a short distance where they landed just a few feet from me. Flyovers consisted of terns, herons, egrets, godwits, curlews, avocets and more ibis and spoonbills...



Since, at the time, the tide was very low, it gave me an opportunity to walk along the bay's sandy shoreline; which most times I'm there, the surf is right at the mangrove and juniper banks keeping me or anyone without wader boots or any aquatic gear from traversing the area.
It was overcast and gray, but still quite quiet and a very enjoyable, peaceful walk. Sea grass swayed in the gentle breeze. The oyster beds were exposed and several turnstones [birds] were busy inspecting underneath, turning the shells over for crustaceans and sea life that was exposed to the elements; sparrows and tiny phoebes [flycatchers] were flitting through the bush growth along the banks, while willets, herons and other waders ignored me as they searched for their morning meal. At this hour, even the gulf waters were empty of any ships coming into port. One tri-colored heron greeted me; stopping short of where I was; statuesque, then flew further out and landed on a shoal that was partially above the water line. An osprey flew over and disappeared all too soon...
It was overcast and gray, but still quite quiet and a very enjoyable, peaceful walk. Sea grass swayed in the gentle breeze. The oyster beds were exposed and several turnstones [birds] were busy inspecting underneath, turning the shells over for crustaceans and sea life that was exposed to the elements; sparrows and tiny phoebes [flycatchers] were flitting through the bush growth along the banks, while willets, herons and other waders ignored me as they searched for their morning meal. At this hour, even the gulf waters were empty of any ships coming into port. One tri-colored heron greeted me; stopping short of where I was; statuesque, then flew further out and landed on a shoal that was partially above the water line. An osprey flew over and disappeared all too soon...



With the weather as it was, and plans of a lunch with Bud, I left for home to change clothes and we had brunch at Cracker Barrel, then went to the store for some fresh veggies for dinner ... tossed salad fixin's to go with my Italian Goulash that I prepared before leaving for my walk. I bought a loaf of crusty Italian bread for garlic toast and for dessert we planned on frozen yogurt topped with pecans and caramel sauce.
When we got back home my Amazon packages had been delivered. I can't wait for a good, sunny day to experiment with my new purchase [relating to photography]. Also delivered to me was a new book...a true story published in Sept 2018 ---about the Tower of London. I started reading that and will get back to posting about my camera fun experiment [I hope it'll be fun eventually], and about the books I just finished; a critique.
When we got back home my Amazon packages had been delivered. I can't wait for a good, sunny day to experiment with my new purchase [relating to photography]. Also delivered to me was a new book...a true story published in Sept 2018 ---about the Tower of London. I started reading that and will get back to posting about my camera fun experiment [I hope it'll be fun eventually], and about the books I just finished; a critique.
Sounds like an enjoyable day. You have me curious about what your photography related purchase is.
ReplyDeleteMaybe today I can get out & do a test run with it. It's gonna be a learning process I think.
DeleteIt sure sounds like a perfect way to spend a perfect day! We are preparing for snow but they have been so far, off by about a hundred miles or so. So far so good for the most part. We shall see.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is, even tho this dreary, cloudy, rainy weather we're having the last few months...it sure beats snow.
DeleteHello, sounds like a nice walk and a great day. Love the Night heron and the Spoonbills. I love Cracker Barrel. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.
ReplyDeleteNot the healthiest place to eat (food is rich & fatty)...but it was delicious.
DeleteI would love to see that many spoonbills in one spot. they fascinate me, so ugly they are beautiful... my eyes went right to my favorite photo today. the yellow flower shot. I love that so much. yellow flowers make me happy and are like sunshine to me... have fun with your new toy and your book
ReplyDeleteMy sister is like you...she loves yellow flowers
Deleteducks look enjoy ….
ReplyDeletehave a great day
They are!
DeleteWell that sure was a full day. The Spoonbill color is really outstanding. You have me guessing about your new photography tool.
ReplyDeleteWell, it may not be all that special, but it will be something new for me to learn the 'ins and outs' of the way to photograph these kinds of photos.
DeleteSince I live too far away to actually join you on these walks,I do enjoy walking alongside you virtually.I am in awe at the birds you see, many which of course I would never see here.
ReplyDeleteRuth, I am always happy to see you come with me on my photo walks.
DeleteAnni you really should be a wildlife photographer....these are gorgeous
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
Golllll-l-ly Ms. C....you're full of niceties. Thanks.
DeletePS you are a WILDLIFE photographer ...but these need to be in a magazine....
ReplyDeleteHugs C
☺
DeleteYour morning walk looks lovely. I especially liked those White Ibis. This looks like such a peaceful place to walk. Nature is one of my favorite places to spend time, so I appreciate your post so much. Thanks for stopping by today. Happy New Year!
ReplyDelete~Sheri
Me too. I am happiest ouydoors. Thsnks, Sheri.
DeleteThe photography book will interest me. I hope you give us a review of that one. Doesn't the tower of London have a group of special crows? The spoonbills are so pink that they look like Flamingos! I love seeing the Black Crowned Night Heron!
ReplyDeleteNo...the Amazon purchase for photography isn't a book. The only book is of the tower of London
DeleteBeautiful birds, and I like the wooden walkway - a great birdwatching spot!
ReplyDeleteBrunch at Cracker Barrel sounds really good, too!
I too like going to Cracker Barrel
DeleteHello again!
ReplyDeleteAbout Cracker Barrel's food: If you are there for lunch or dinner, try the Haddock Dinner. It is delicious, and you can choose healthy sides to go with it. It is a large meal - I usually have left-overs to bring home to make the beginnings of another meal.
Yes...I have had that.
DeleteSure hope you enjoyed your lunch at Cracker Barrel and sure pretty flowers.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on
Thanks Dora.
DeleteI just read your comment, and I DID extrapolate! You say your purchase is related to photography, and I drew a conclusion that it was a photography book. So now I won't wait for your review!
ReplyDeleteI figured you mis-read it, so I wanted to clarify it.
Deletei've said it before, you are living in a most beautiful part of the world, thanks for taking me there
ReplyDelete(((Ms. V.)))...it's so good to see you here. I've been thinking of you.
DeleteI am always impressed by your photography . . . beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Connie.
Deleteoh my! what pretty photos of the pretty lake, ducks etc. You are talented
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete