C'mon Autumn!!!



Church Steeple in the Morning Mist




On a still, warm, humid, morning, I drove to the river and the park...to walk. Well, after the heavy flooding rain from the week prior there was still a lot of standing water here and there. I was amazed! At our home, the water soaked in in a couple of days... after the rain stopped falling...but I guess the difference in the 15 minute drive [at 75 MPH], the storm dropped a LOT more than in town where I live!!! There was evidence of the river being out of its banks and flooding some of the near-by park land.

Normally dry grassy picnic areas, this was still under water. And the one with the trees in the foreground, look thru the branches and you can see a bit of the remnants of river water [near center of photo]...



I didn't do too much walking. Too humid and my insect repellent wasn't working too well either. The air was close to suffocatingly still...nothing stirred; as you can see by the flag that flies over the country club golf course...


After checking for any wildlife, and finding very little, I left the park and drove a short distance on a county road to the TURF FARM thinking maybe I could find an Upland Sandpiper or two. What I found instead was the land utilized for growing turf to sell; it too was still flooded! And I had to whip a "U" turn before I came to an intersection...the road was under water and barricaded. Stopping right in the middle of the road [there were no cars to be seen 'cause of the road closure], I spotted egrets and herons taking advantage of the flooded land - hunting for breakfast...




Tho the calendar says Autumn is the 22nd, here in the Coastal Bend of Texas we still have another long month ahead with soaring temps!!!! I'm so ready for Fall!!!!!!!!

18 comments:

  1. I'm ready for autumn too. Our temperatures have been more comfortable than what they were but we're still getting some hotter days thrown in.
    That's sure is a lot of water. Are these same places still trying to recover from the flooding last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been unseasonably hot for a longer period this year! And, no this isn't the area hit last year.

      Delete
  2. I just told bob I don't think I can stand another day of HEAT.. yesterday at noon it was 94 with feels like 102 and no air to breathe. I love that shot of the post with yellow flowers and sky reflected in the flood waters. gorgeous. and I had not thought how much the birds would enjoy flood waters. more places to hunt for food. we are the same here, dry in our part of town but 20 mintues away there are homes with water in them. out east gets a lot more rain that we do plus the headwaters of the Myacca river flood a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...this heat is RELENTLESS this year.

      Delete
  3. Here, fall came a little early, with lots of rain and cool temperatures. I know it's coming for you, too! Another month of hot temperatures? Yikes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only 60° at 9AM and we have heat on inside! A pair of great blue heron fly from one of the lake to the other several times a day since it has cooled down. Your image #4 is a very nice still life with the yellow swamp flower and lone fence post. I really like that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have any ovaries left I'd gladly trade 'em for ONE day of 60° ... sounds heavenly right now as I look at the outdoor temp...91° here.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the church in the mist!! Your first water collage, the water is so brilliant and blue! All the high water here is brown and muddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's just sky reflection Ginny.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! Those waters look high.I would share some fo the coolness we have here, if I could.It is jacket weather these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could send some my way!

      Delete
  7. Your pics are so pretty!
    It was very hot and humid here this morning, but tonight it's nearing 60!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now your night time temp sounds ideal!!!!

      Delete
  8. That's a lOt of water, I just love those herons, happy weekend, Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....have a great weekend yourself Ms. V

      Delete
  9. Hello, the flooding does look bad. We have been getting a lot of rain here, the ground feels soggy. Great shot of the waders, they are beautiful. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for the comment and visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents