my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


It Was a Beautiful Sunrise....BUT:

I started out early...way early, before sunrise. By the time I got to North Padre Island the horizon was pink with the sun behind the clouds. "It's gonna be a beautiful day! The sunrise will be the beginning of a perfect setting." I pulled off the highway and rolled down my window to view the glory in silence of an awakening morning on the island!!


My rapture was quickly broken when I reached Port Aransas tho!  Recently I noticed on the website for birders, where they have sightings of birds in my area, that a 'hot spot' in Port Aransas had some birds seen over the weekend!! I thought, "it must be back open to enter"!! I had to see if that was true. Well, partially true. Yes, the fallen trees as you enter had been cleared out...and there were three volunteers working in the flower gardens. I asked if the area was once again accessible and the reply was "As far as you can go....the boardwalk is no longer there!" I continued on the path, and stopped in disbelief when I hit the 'end of the trail'.

On this blog, I couldn't find too many good before Harvey photos, but this is what I came up with in my label search. The recent photos are watermarked with my bird blog copyright. My mistake; I forgot to change it when uploading for this post:

BEFORE:




AFTER:


Volunteer Workers


The boardwalk remnants, a downed Palm tree, the Observation tower and what is left of the extended boardwalk...


What was once a picnic area with tall willow trees and marsh land - the boardwalk view



Cormorants on the boardwalk uprights way out...and, the reed grasses; dead and flat!!

- - -


...then, just down the road is another birding paradise...in fact it's called Paradise Pond.  Once, a beautiful, lush, green and vibrant oasis for migrant birds  ---

BEFORE





...now, a wasteland of 'death' all around:


AFTER


Once a large Willow tree that housed a woodpecker nest yearly...broken!



My emotions had me feeling as if I was walking through a Science Fiction movie set...blue, despaired and completely agonized.


As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I watched the sun rise over the Gulf beach...I will share its awesomeness in a later post!! I took several photos and this post is heavily loaded with a lot of loading time already.

26 comments :

  1. so very sad, all the devastation and all the wild life that suffered. and this is only a small part of what your state saw and has left to deal with. number 16 is my favorite photo today, so pretty out there in all the ugly.. can't imagine how many years it will take to get back to what it was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you mean the one photo of the duck?

      Delete
  2. So very sad. Hopefull it will be cleaned up soon and back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Normal" is the operative word, it'll never be the same.

      Delete
  3. So very sad, so much devastation. I am thinking many birds lot their homes, and their babies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the woodpeckers lost the one nesting cavity in that tree in one of my photos. I'm sure a lot of them lost much.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is sad. Hopefully some day it will return to looking like it did in the before puctures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not like it was...sometime down the time frame...new growth

      Delete
  5. As sad as it is now, nature has a redemptive side to it and it will be beautiful once again.
    Still, it’s painful to see such devastation.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very heartbreaking. And having no wildlife active as you walk the area...it's way too quiet.

      Delete
  6. Love your sharing your outdoor adventures. Wish I could keep up with you and do it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you were close-by. We could go out & share time!

      Delete
  7. The after pictures are sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing it all in person just makes me speechless!

      Delete
  8. Anni this is so heartbreaking...so many fine feathered friends lost their homes and 2 leggers lost tranquility of the lovely parks and piers and decks
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy all the boardwalks in your birding area and it's so sad to see them torn apart and so much other devastation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just still can't fathom all this destruction...sad indeed.

      Delete
  10. It makes me sad t see how much was damaged and destroyed. I hope you will show me some pictures in a year or so of how much it's recovered. A hope and prayer for that, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the damages will go away and the beauty around me in these areas will come back...even better than it was!

      Delete
  11. Sad to see the damaged path ways. I usually love to have a relaxed walk on those areas. Waiting to get back the older things to come or even better than that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....for it all to come back better than before....that'd be ideal.

      Delete
  12. Hello, it is sad to see so much has been damaged. I hope things are back to normal soon. I assume the birds do not mind, I love the Whistling Ducks. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think it DID affect the bird population...so few seen in these hard hit areas.

      Delete
  13. I don't want to walk with you through all of that devastation! I know we can't go back really, but at least we were there before the great losses. Let's go to another place. Another untouched area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the storm, even areas 100s of miles away in either direction from us has been affected by Harvey. He stuck around playing havoc all over South Texas for weeks!! There isn't much area left that he hasn't 'torn up'.

      Delete

.