my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




And the Rains Came...

Sunday morning I left home early to avoid the heat. The humidity was high already, rain was in the offing. As I stepped out of the car when I parked along the seawall, I could feel the morning clouds would build up, cover us with the darkness of the pending storms moving in on the horizon. It was time to start moving before I got soaked!!!

Along the boardwalk and the Marina, most of the shrimp boats were still moored [tied up]; some were out to sea. The brown pelicans were mostly quiet, waiting for the return and their breakfast when the shrimpers throw the unwanted fish out alongside their boats. Always a virtual feast for the gulls and pelicans, and a free handout...




...Some private citizens were trying their luck for the catch of the day near the ships' channel, by the harbor. Their boat is dwarfed by the tanker leaving port...



...a couple sat quietly, with their hot coffee, watching the sun rise near one of the miradors [turret/gazebo] ..
.



The clouds would build up, darken the sky, then...quickly dissipate. Rain fell far away, while above me, the sky was blue and dappled with puffs of white thunderheads. Occasionally quiet thunder was heard rumbling in the distance beyond the Harbor Bridge....




Zooming in on the tanker that recently left the Port of Call, was being drenched in the morning mist...




...then it would clear out and the blue above would reappear - while the humid air remained only to build up again and clouds would cover us with a blanket of gray...




The odors from a nearby restaurant [behind the palms] permeated the air. Sausage, bacon, hash brown potatoes, pancakes and a hint of fresh coffee...




...Eventually walking through the marina, I found the near sunk replica of Christopher Columbus's NINA. She took on water during Hurricane Harvey and the city is trying to raise money for repair...




Then....THE RAIN CAME DOWN! Getting soaked before I took shelter under one mirador's roof, I stood and did some people watching, waiting for the storm to move out and head to another city park for more walking!!



35 comments :

  1. What an adventure outside. When the rain fell that heavily that must have been so powerful to observe from the outside. Love your images before the rain, as well as the people-watching images later on.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mersad! It's nice to have you come with me on my walk today. Your company was my pleasure.

      Delete
  2. the only thing that could be more perfect than coffee on a bench watching the sunrise, is to have bacon to eat with that coffee. the dock pic is really sad.. all the damage done by the storms all over the world is sad.. I like the tiny boat against the ship.... one of the things I love about FL is seeing it rain and have blue skies over my head at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You told this story so well, and I enjoyed being beside you as you watched, and walked. I enjoyed it very much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know you enjoyed it D J!

      Delete
  4. I felt the heavy humidity and heard the thunder as I walked with you. The sights we saw were both pleasing and disturbing. Sometimes the best times and views are caught just perfectly in your lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. G

      I am happy you came along.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, the Nina is in bad shape. Old Chris would spin in his grave. I love the pelicans lined up waiting for food! I have never seen or heard a story like this! And they seem to have very good table manners. Well, I guess the pushing and shoving and wing flapping will begin when the fish come. What a great comparison of the huge and tiny boats! LOVE LOVE LOVE the palms blowing, with the bridge and flag in the background! That is my second favorite after the pelicans. How on earth did you keep from heading straight to the smells and eating? Especially when walking so much. Well, I guess that would kind of defeat the whole point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ginny...table manners! That makes me giggle! Lovin' it.

      Delete
  6. I recall visiting a copy of one of Columbus's ships in Boston years ago. It was awesome to think of the courage the early folks had to set sail into the unknown on this tiny ship. I hope she gets set upright and in ship shape once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those changing skies made for good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make your daily outings so interesting. Wish I lived nearby to join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...we'd have a grand time together.

      Delete
  9. Hello, love the views of the water and pelican. A cup of coffee and a seat, I would be happy there. Great photos. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your photos are awesome! You live in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can almost smell the bacon. It's been hot and humid here. A walk in the rain would feel good right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your tempd on the news...weird & spooky

      Delete
  12. Weather is an amazing thing. You captured the ebb and flow of the morning's sky quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband, grandson and I visited the Nina once many years ago! How sad to see her almost sunk this way! Beautiful photos...the threat of rain can bring interesting sights.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these pictures! Crazy how the weather can change in a hurry, isn't it? Sad about the Nina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city had all three ship replicas...

      Delete
  15. We had some nice rain and it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some more last night. Much needed.

      Delete
  16. were getting some much needed rain as well, cooler temps YES FALL is in the air.
    I sure miss those brown pelicans (I had them all named) I loved walking around the marina, those gazebos are really cool. Loved watching the fishing boats next to the tankers. OH I Have to dig thru my pics and find the ones of CORPUS!
    I always went and watched the sail boat races there at CC Bay that was so much fun
    There was a guy (homeless) that watched them every week. (he always told me what
    was going on, eventually I started taking pics for their website.

    thanks for the beautiful memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's every wednesday? The races, that is.

      Delete
  17. Oh what pretty photos! I love the one with the white clouds. I can almost smell the coffees etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delicious scent so early in the morning.

      Delete
  18. LOVE that first pelican shot!

    ReplyDelete

.