my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Texas A&M Trail...

At the End of Ocean Drive, along Corpus Christi Bay, and nearing the Army/Navy Training Base, there is a trail to walk. It's paved and it follows the shore of Oso Bay. The trail is on some of the campus grounds for Texas A - M Corpus Christi [the only college campus in the nation on its own island!]. I don't often walk here 'cause there are several college facilities and dozens of campus dorms which are occupied during the 9 month school year. During the summer months, when most students go home  I will walk here once in a while. Tuesday this week, I did go to this area. I was the only one on the trail, and it was nice and quiet. Just me and the birds, and the bay water glistening like jewels. I mentioned above the campus is on an island, historic Ward Island to be exact with WWII history a big part of the area. [President George Herbert Walker Bush trained here to become a pilot during the war in 1942] Here are some photos of the Oso Bay Campus Trail...

Along the path, bridges, light towers for night-time walking and biking, part of the bay with newly constructed apartment complexes on the opposite side, subtropical landscaping and the last photo in the series....Carizzo Grass [a tall reed-like grass that resembles bamboo]...




Several lighted and covered gazebos are periodically scattered along the trail...



Photos below...looking across the bay, private residential homes dot the landscape.  An inlet with one lone egret wiling the Summer day away.  A macro leaf ...an outcropping of AGAVE [used for medicinal purposes and the making of tequila] can be found along the trail and then, a crossroads on the path...one direction continue on the trail, to the left the bay and another gazebo, to the right...the campus, and you can turn around and go back the way I came...



At this point it was getting too warm and the humidity [again] was building up, I chose to take the left path and head to the shore, then headed back to where I parked and Ocean Drive across from Corpus Christi Bay where I spotted something not seen every day in this area...a shrimper!! As I walked part of the shoreline, I spotted some remnants of what I'd assume is part of the WWII barracks foundation or something having to do with the Army Air Force. You can find all kinds of foundation stones here with NAVY and 1942 dates stamped in the cement blocks.  Also in this series of photos below, I will share a couple of photos of the campus dorms....it's like a resort with swimming pools, club houses and landscaping that'll knock your socks off...

...a hidden 'treasure' of the past, a foundation


...campus dorms & swimming pool with clubhouse


...a shrimp boat; highly unusual in this area of the bay!! [they usually go out in the Gulf!]




That brings me to the end of my morning walk. For my record keeping diary of birding, I post the birds seen in the area: Brown Pelicans, American White Pelicans, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Willets, Barn Swallows, Short Billed Dowitchers, Little Blue Herons, Seagulls, Terns, Great Blue Herons, Sandpipers, Black Skimmers, Tri-colored Herons, Spoonbills, Osprey and probably more I'm forgetting...


Great Egret

43 comments :

  1. A beautiful place to walk - love the views of the houses across the water and the beautiful grass plumes. Wish I was young again - I think I would want to get into that college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In one of your first pictures, there is a big white bird way in the distance. I had been wondering about it. So that was this Great Egret? What a wonderful and joyful flight shot!!! And I love the big beautiful shrimp boat. The college dorms look like resorts! Love the metal bird topper in the gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know you liked the egret in flight...I was afraid it be too blurry being behind the bush.

      Delete
  3. Really love that gazebo. What a gorgeous place for a walk.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice walk indeed. Glad I was able to join you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was raining here too...but from my head in sweat drops!!! lol

      Delete
  5. Hello, Anni, looks like a beautiful spot and great birding too. It is always nice to have a peaceful walk. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them best of all...quiet and peaceful.

      Delete
  6. I feel like I was there with you and what a beautiful campus they have. I really love love love the gazebo with the tree in front of it so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one best of all of them along the trail too Sandra.

      Delete
  7. Everything along your walk is a sight i would not see in my every day - ESPECIALLY the "Shrimper" - wow! Magnificent.

    I keep considering using a wait tie with my pupster - freeing up my hands to try my teeny camera on our walks . . . . well, when it cools off enough for our longer strolls . . . hmmm - still - nothing would compare to YOU Excellent sharing . . Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I love to find hidden treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am having trouble with replying, i keep getting logged out...is this happening to anyone? it just started this morning :( anyways, if my comment disappeared i had originally stated that you have the most amazing trails there! i love the shrimp boat and that gazebo on the water! also it is fun to find the old navy stuff! have a great weekend anni and thank you for linking up!

      Delete
    2. Blogger is rejecting my user name and password. Hope they clear up the problem soon.

      Delete
    3. Lea...hope it gets fixed for you...sooner than later.

      Delete
    4. Tanya...so far Blogger is okay on my side of the world...lol
      Hope it's better for you by now. Thanks for hosting!!!

      Delete
  9. A lovely, peaceful walk and some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter where or when you walk, you make it such an interesting adventure. Wish I had some of your energy. Thank you from a past post where you commented on my new profile picture. I tried to thank you that day, but for some reason it did not work. Thank you. I try to change each year when it gets close to may birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh LV....I do so love your NEW Profile image. You look great.
      So, when IS your birthday?

      Delete
    2. Thank you for correcting me on my flower. Someways I should just stay in bed. Thinking one thing and doing another. BD 8-25-29

      Delete
    3. I do the very same thing! I hope to remember your birthday LV

      Delete
  11. So many interesting scenes along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kid you not- you wear me out as I travel with you on the walking trails. I love the gazebo and the leaf shots a lot! This all was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice place to walk and bonus that there aren't other people around

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place to walk...and I would love seeing the shrimper. And I would love to go to that gazebo and sit and read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading in the gazebo would be good...when the weather cools down some. lol

      Delete
  15. What a great place to walk and what a wonderful place for the students to enjoy when they're around. Loved hearing all the interesting history of the area as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures as usual. I don't know how you do all that walking but I admire you for it. The heat has bothered me so much this year. After my husband had a stroke we walked for 45 minutes every night no matter what the weather. Maybe being younger helped. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is relentless too....for three days now, the afternoon temps are in the triple digits. And that's withOUT heat index.

      Delete
  17. I note the birds know where the action is... hanging out with the boat! Easy pickins... or sure looks like a tasty snack to them no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and when the shrimpers come back to sell their catch, and they clean out what fish are there that they don't want, they throw it overboard and the pelicans are there, waiting!!!!

      Delete
  18. You take such wonderful photos. This is a beautiful and interesting place to walk! I would walk more often if I had such a place. haha...what an excuse! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Cheryl, for stopping in to visit with me.

      Delete
  19. what stunning views you've encountwered! thanks for sharing the photos with us


    Thanks for joining in once again with Five on Friday, We hope you have an amazing week :)

    ReplyDelete

.