“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Mall Walkers...

I parked the car in the covered parking lot for shade and entered the petri dish. Personally, I detest mall walking. But, it's been so hot and humid the last four days with triple digit temps [108 degrees one day...without heat index in Dallas!], I hadn't walked much the past week to keep up my quota because of the weather. I decided against my dislike of entering the area that covers an entire city block; the mall, and walked a couple of hours in cooler air. Here are some sights.  I'm sure they're the same all around the nation.  Malls are boring ...


Hallmark Store had Halloween and Christmas stuff out already.  And one of the many escalators for the different level floors of shopping.  Did you hear about the students at Texas Tech that were stuck on the escalators for three hours when the electricity went out?


I was happy to see all the floral prints in some of the store windows.  I like floral!!  And the main entrance door with the fountain.  Hardly any pennies in the pool...a sign of the times, economically?


This guy is not Bud, but it sure could've been!!!  He has the right idea...saves on his utility bill at home!!  And the bright lights of Dillard's.


At Macy's the display cases of Chanel perfumes and Mall walkers.  Mall walkers here are called Wave Walkers...dunno HOW they came up with that moniker!!!  There are no waves here!!!


An Island display..."Everything Crosses", and a steakhouse adjacent/connected to the mall exterior.


This guy was being pampered...a pedicure...and women getting a manicure.

Done!!  Whew....did I mention before, that I really don't like to do this?...mall walking.   Except for one thing...Sakura Japanese Chicken Teriyaki at the food court. Dang, it was too early for lunch.It'll be another year or so before I go to the mall again, probably...


This photo of Sakura is courtesy of TripAdvisor

26 comments :

  1. When I was growing up I lived about a mile or so away from the mall. In high school that was our big place to hang out plus most of us had jobs there. I can't recall the last time I was there.
    What a traumatic experience for those college students stuck on the escalator....ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend Shirley is part of a mall walkers club, they walk from 9 to 11 each day. when they started years ago, there was a lot of people watching, now the mall is empty, half the stores are closed. I love the pic of the perfume and I want that chair... what a great reading chair, also Jake would love it. you found much to enjoy and share with us. I am with you on the AC walking, I have been doing mine in Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like any Walmarts either. lol

      Delete
  3. I wonder if "wave walkers" instead of mall walkers is because you can wave to your friends as you walk? Curious. And to have Halloween decorations out already? It's July!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...waving at other mall walkers...now, that's a thought!

      Delete
  4. Hello, the mall is a great place to walk when it is too hot outside. Some malls here are becoming ghost malls with many stores closed. Next week the Christmas decorations will be out. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hallmark store here in this mall already HAD Christmas things out.

      Delete
  5. I would rather sit on a bench and watch the walkers and other mall people, but haven't been to or in a mall for many years. I think you used common sense rather than get overheated and be miserable for your step counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wise to stay out of malls in my opinion. It seems each time I go to one I end up with a cold or bacterial infection of some sort in a week's time. I don't know if it's the ventilation systems or what, but I try to stay out.

      Delete
  6. I go to the mall more often than you, but still it is not my favorite place. I usually go two or three times at Christmas, and then maybe for items in between. But usually in and out in short order, except at Christmas...and even then not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd take me 5-10 years to go that many times. lol And, Christmas is a bah humbug season for me and malls.

      Delete
  7. I don't know when I have been in a store.... Amazon prime stops right at my door! What could be better..and at this point in life, there is very little I need to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon is the best thing. Alto I do shop with the local businesses to help keep them afloat.

      Delete
  8. It's something lots of folks do around our malls, mostly in the winter when it's too harsh to be outside! They have groups I've heard (friends and making/meeting new friends) and some are even in book groups together. I visited them when I can, some for shopping and at other times just sightseeing! I like the window designs, (I probably should have a job designing windows!) But then I'd probably get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know at this particular mall, with the Wave Walkers, they also sit down and play bingo for prizes too. After the walk.

      Delete
  9. This was sure NOT boring to me! I love shopping, and have not seen any of this. I love the little blue bird. And they do have a pretty fountain. Wonder why they are called Wave Walkers? I will Google it and let you know if I find out. Mall Walking is great for when the weather is bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I guess it's better than no where to walk, in this heat!

      Delete
  10. There are lots of Mall Walkers Clubs. For people who need a flat and reliable surface. And during the mall walking, you see the same people all the time. So you wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else mentioned that is why it's called wave walkers. I woulda never guessed.

      Delete
  11. Like you, I detest malls and never go! However, they are a good place to walk when it is that hot. We were in the mid 90's this past week, and I thought that was hot....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mid 90s is pretty darned hot if you ask me!!

      Delete
  12. I don't like malls either, but this weekend we had to go because I had to return a shoe that I ordered online :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear....that would be a double hassle!

      Delete
  13. The kid doesn't like to exercise so when it is really really hot he will tolerate mall walking. We go the length upstairs and downstairs and go in all the department stores. Great people watching. We do it once or twice a year. They used to have a Popeye's chicken in the food court and I love that but no more. Malls give me a headache otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not one for being in crowds tho.

      Delete

.