“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





All Aboard! Ferry Crossing

Isn't the English language something? Confusing to those trying to learn to speak English to say the least. So, the other day, playing my Scrabble game on the phone while waiting for the echo on the carotid [neck] arteries, I had some letters N M U R, two I's and a C...well, there was a B on the board. I thought of playing the word NUMB. With the R, though, perhaps NUMBER if only I had an E instead of the I. Got me to thinking. You have NUMB. Is there NUMBER, AND NUMBEST?  The B would be silent, right?  Then, I was called in for the examination. "No looking it up online now, I'm busy". When I got home I checked our collegiate dictionary from the bookshelf [I almost forgot about it]. Sure 'nough, there is a NUMB NUMBER and NUMBEST! So, you have NUMBER as in numerical digits, i.e. 1-3-20-100, with the B pronounced. Then, you have NUMBER, the B is silent, as in without feeling. Now, first off, once you're numb, can you get number? Either you are, or you're not numb. Even tho I've been speaking English all my life once I started talking, I just don't see getting number. Then again, the percentage numBer of me getting NUMbER typing this is getting higher!  I just may be the NUMbEST yet!!  How 'bout you? .

check for yourself

- - -
Our Tax Dollars at Work...The Ferries crossing the ship channel from Port A to Aransas Pass, Tx. [or visa versa] - Digital Signage on both sides of the two towns told me/other drivers there would be a 15 minute wait to get aboard. By the time I left, an hour later, there was a line of traffic for the ferry at LEAST three miles long! Probably more like a 30 minute wait time when I was getting ready to head back to Corpus...without crossing the ferry.



The pylons at the ferry docks were lined with pelicans and seagulls


- - -

Father's Day was a quiet day....Bud heard from both of our kids first thing in the morning. He had his day planned to do 'nothing' he said! Saturday he helped me with cleaning the house, so he deserved his quiet day. He has a project going on with wood and the making of a Native American 'gadget' in the works, he worked a little bit on that while I walked the Robert Point Park in Port Aransas. It's a nice shady park, with water, marina, grasses, benches, AND SHADE!!! I sat and watched our Tax Dollars at Work for a while, enjoying the sea breeze and all the activities. I walked another couple of parks, with no birds, and then drove to the ARK [rehabilitation facility for injured birds] near the Magee Beach before heading home to prepare Bud's choice for dinner...

...lasagna
With Tossed Salad, Tiger Bread [with fresh garlic], red wine, and for dessert frozen yogurt.
We then watched the movie "The Big Year".

28 comments :

  1. More confusing words, please. That was interesting. The lasagna looks good! Too hot to bake now, as steam is coming off of the roof due to recent showers and hot sun. I'm stayin' in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try some other words at another time!
      Yes, it is too hot to bake anything, but that is what Bud wanted. I had to honor his request 'cause I said I cook what he wanted for Father's Day.

      Delete
  2. You lost me in the beginning, but came alive when you mentioned Lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....lost ya, did I? Nah, I know you understood it all. As for the lasagna, it was good. The wine was REALLY good. lol

      Delete
  3. Lasagna: I always make when my sister visits which she will next week...I go ahead and prep it ahead of time because who knows what she and I will be up to during the day....I play scrabble on my phone, also and I try out a lot of spellings for words because there are many that I am unfamiliar with that are still words......
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a good dish to prepare ahead of time. Freeze it even. I do the very same when it comes to the scrabble game on the phone.

      Delete
  4. We really liked "The Big Year". It sure didn't get the publicity it deserved. I play Scrabble and Words with Friends on Facebook. Want to play? I don't think we are Facebook friends, though. I love your word thoughts!! Funny! Your lasagna looks awesome! Those ferries sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do facebook Ginny. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. Forgot to tell you I got News 360 and love it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the ferry looks kind of small. I have to check out the scrabble game on the phone. Your lasagna looks delicious. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're small 'cause they only cross the ship channel...no bay or large bodies of water.

      Delete
  7. I was just thinking the other day about all the words that are spelled the same/pronounced different and the ones that are spelled different/pronounced the same. It's crazy confusing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. I never realized number had two meanings tho.

      Delete
  8. they say english is the hardest language of all to learn. the lasagna looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...about English. And the lasagna WAS good.

      Delete
  9. Yummy......can't beat of Lasagna...but a lot of work. Ferry's always made me nervous and tried to avoid them, but then any kind of boat is not my cup of tea. Terra Firma here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'd prefer land travel too. But compared to a 50 mile drive to 7 miles...I will take the ferry.

      Delete
  10. The English language is really frustrating sometimes! I like to be on the land too, but I agree with you on 7 miles vs 50!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, if the ferry isn't used to get to Aransas Pass, then you have to drive clear back to Corpus then to Portland,, Ingleside and Aransas. Too long a distance from Port A.

      Delete
  11. I didn't know that about numb and number. Makes sense, though it's also true you either are or you aren't. Ferry travel can be a pain, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long wait lines sometimes can be a pain for sure.

      Delete
  12. I used to be an English teacher and my students were always asking me why English was so confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's confusing to those that speak it all their lives too!!

      Delete
  13. Humm sounds like a good Father's Day meal. Hope you got my comment about who wrote "Toby", Jack Darnell. He got the idea from me writing about a dry land turtle that came to the back of the house about every third day when we lived at the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go read your repky. Thanks paula!

      Delete

.