“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Bits and Pieces...

Not much going on here. It's a bit boring, so....


Saturday afternoon I was surfing for some new ideas for "hootin' headers". Of course with the blogger name of Hootin' Anni, I just figure the best way to convey the blog title is with an owl. In searching for something new, I found this awesome website with computer wallpapers. And many many owl wallpaper backgrounds. Free for personal use. What could be better? Well, with the super owl background, I then had to tweak the blog layout design since Blogger's layout is, by default, always centered.. I first made a matching header, then, I adjusted the main content to align to the right margin...resized the width of the blog/sidebar to fit my 1600x900 monitor and did some color coordination to 'match' the owl wallpaper. So, this is the finished design.  Of course you won't be able to see the new look if you're viewing with anything but a cpu. [the small image at the beginning is a full view of the new background]  My mobile only shows the white background with the new header.  That's okay.  It's a little bit 'new'.

- - -


Being quite humid lately, I haven't walked far before stopping and heading back to the parking lot to get into an air-conditioned vehicle and head home. LOL So, in turn I've been reading, doing small projects around the house, and did another pencil sketch. My father, who loved to garden, had rows and rows of iris blooming each Spring. I've been thinking about him lately, and decided to draw one of his favorite flowers...back in my day, my parents [and Bud's mom said the same] called iris "flags"...I don't know where that comes from, but I do know I like the name iris much better!

Several commentors have asked me over and over if I draw from 'scratch'...no, I have to have a photo or a magazine clipping; a picture from somewhere in front of me to view and then draw what I see. I can't just sit down and draw from memory. Same when I do a painting...I usually take a photo of a bird or a landscape and then use that as a reference.
Here is my finished sketch:




- - -

Squirrels always distract me when I'm on my walks...





...th-t-t-th-that's all folks! I told you it's boring here.

34 comments :

  1. Good Morning. Hot and humid here too. I make the walks with the dog short! We have squirrels to jump out on the path in front of us when I'm walking Theo! Love your squirrel pics. Your iris drawing is so lovely. You are so talented. I guess many of us have our dad's on our hearts as Father's Day is not far away. I wish you a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess so...Father's Day is here soon.

      Delete
  2. Love your new header and colors. Restful on the eyes.. Hot here too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I love the owl header and the new blog look. Cute squirrel photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, happy Sunday to you too.

      Delete
  4. So happy to see your cute squirrels outside and not trying to get inside my house! Yikes, we've been doing some protect the house outside to keep them away! We've been having way too much rain and storms all around. So maybe your humid weather would be way better for now. Your art work is always a treat to see too. Enjoy your week and art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. he is really really cute, the squirrel I mean. and your owl is beautiful, I am on my big monitor and it looks super duper. I checked my tablet and it looks good and I can see the whole header and part of the purple, the phone is not as good but I don't use my phone. I love the new look... HOOT HOOT for You Hootin Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the phone a lot just before retiring at night so I can read a book.

      Delete
  6. The 3H's have ARRIVED way too early here in NC too. Started on Wednesday. today we have overcast and much cooler. I'll take it.
    We love the new look hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained at our house this morning....about 2 minutes. Then the furnace door opened again. lol

      Delete
  7. Nice header, you are quite the techie and I get reminded again why I don't change my header photo very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tire of learning new 'blogging tricks'. LOL

      Delete
  8. NOT boring at all! You did a great job of configuring your header. I fully understand how you went about it and the result is awesome! The squirrel photos are sharp and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...thanks Ms. G. I appreciate your compliments.

      Delete
  9. Not boring at all....I love the sketch, as Iris are my favorite flower in the garden.....love the new look...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so nice to have you visit....been a long time, I didn't realize you still blogged.

      Delete
  10. Not boring. Delightful! I love your squirrel shots! We have many, and they do entertain me. Your drawing is super! You are so talented. And we have been thinking alike! The iris are blooming here, and I have been wondering why their nickname is Flag. I don't really like the name at all. I am going to Google it and find out, then post in on my next iris post. You are a computer expert, with all you know how to do. I had to ask Phil what a CPU is. The new owl header is gorgeous!! And I love the web site! I have made it an icon on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you have to do with the website is type in what you want to find, maybe they have something!

      Delete
  11. Here you go Anni! Some authorities claim the flowers are commonly called flags because Louis, Clovis, and some other rulers in Europe frequently employed the design on flags and banners. A simpler and more probable explanation, however, is that iris leaves look like reeds, the Middle English word for which was flagge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What a great piece of learning for me, all because of you.

      Delete
  12. It's looking good here! I love your drawing too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Squirrels are the cutest. I am forever slamming on the brakes, on back roads, when they zip across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id do the very same (as well as birds, cats, dogs, etc.

      Delete
  14. I always enjoy stop in and see what your up to. Great skeetch.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely iris sketch! And your new header is great...what a wonderful website you found! Love the squirrel too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty new header and background. I think my dad used to call iris flags too. I know I heard it somewhere. Squirrels are an entertaining distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw now Anni you couldn't be boring if you tried. Gave me a lot to think about in this post (and a headache thinking of all the changes you so effortlessly made to your blog design. Beyond me I must admit). I'd forgotten about 'flags' but for sure that's what people called them when I was a girl. Wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny did some research...above.

      Delete

.