MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Seeing in Believing....

WATCHING A MONK
Imagine you're a Monk Parakeet. Now imagine that it's time to build a nest of twigs! And since you're of this species of parakeets, the only kind to build a multiple chamber of nests grouped together for a colony, the placement of each and EVERY twig must fit perfectly for stability, not to mention the hunt for such twigs and carrying them back in your beak to the chosen area!   One twig of the many thousands of twigs....it will take weeks!

Here is a very short 45 second video of the challenge. It's fun to watch the precision and satisfaction when the parakeet is done!! I had good intentions of a much longer video, but it started to sprinkle and I felt rushed to get some of the action so it's kinda jumpy since the camera was hand held and not on the tripod, and I didn't want to be stuck out in the rain getting my camera wet.  I headed back to the car, and by the time I got to the car door I was in a downpour!  Last night we got a LOT of rain at home, which was a much needed amount.  I will try and return to the nesting area in town at a later date to see the progression...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKX7k6S5R0g

- - -

I LIED

In a previous post from some time ago, I mentioned I was only going to do an Easter Basket for home decoration. Well, I lied. Kinda sorta. Bud came home with a new jelly bean dish as a gift for me. It's of pink glass, bought at Target when he stopped there on his way home one day. He likes Jelly Beans. Now tell me, just how am I supposed to keep in step with the downsizing of too much clutter in the house when he comes home with little things like this? But, it's darned cute...




- - -

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
-well, the 2nd picture anyway-

Outside a local restaurant a new bronze statue was placed along with landscaped rose bushes. Pretty against the blue sky. I walked over to get a photo of the new attraction with my cellphone. Focusing mainly on the antlers against the blue. Yep, pretty! And quite detailed. Then, as I stepped down from the lighted cement surface, I spotted something amiss.  Can you see what I saw?


Bronze Sculpture of an Elk about 3 times life-size...pretty impressive among the rose bushes!  But.....

oh, oh...who did this?  Really?  I couldn't believe my eyes!  What's wrong with this picture?  This is all kinds o' wrong.  Should I go into the establishment and tell them?  Or just walk away?  Tsk. Tsk.  Is the artist ignorant  by error?  Was it an honest mistake?  Who knows....I just walked away.  But it's still kinda disconcerting.
Look...see if you notice the error...




just in case you haven't picked up on it yet....check this out. And if you're still puzzled, scroll down*


- - -


Can You See Me Now?

While walking along the ship channel some time ago, the American Flag was whipping in the gentle breeze. Then, I noticed something atop the flagpole. Can you see me now?


An American Kestrel!

- - -

Go Tell It on the Mountain!



Oftentimes I try and get a fitting caption. With this photo I thought of the Christmas Carol "Go Tell It on the Mountain" even tho when I spotted this gathering of the pigeon congregation, it wasn't anywhere NEAR Christmastime.




*the hoof of an elk [or deer] is split [a cloven hoof]!! Not like depicted in the sculpture of a horse's hoof!!

30 comments :

  1. I wonder if anyone else noticed the hoof. I would never have seen it and did not until I read what you wrote. since I did not know about the cloven hoof, I am betting the artist did not either.. it is a magnificent statue.. that pink rabbit is so pretty and it looks antique because of its color... now I am pondering it it was advertised as a jelly bean dish or hubby named it that. I am going with the latter... I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I kinda grew up with deer and elk in my back yard in Colorado. That helps. lol Yep, the latter.

      Delete
  2. I would have noticed it, I'm sure, and I also would have reported it somehow, maybe by asking the restaurant owner for the name of the artist and all information there is of the artist. I could not let it go, I know. I LOVE your new bunny dish plus ALL the pectin jellybeans that it could hold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is....the 'damage' was done by the artist's error. Even if it COULD be fixed, it'd probably be expensive.

      Delete
  3. the pink bunny candy dish is adorable! I've been telling my family don't buy me anymore knick knacks. lol sometimes I guess they're too cute to pass up, like this bunny. and it came from Target? it's so cute!!
    you've got a good eye for detail! I wonder if anyone else noticed the error of the statue??
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the video!!! I so respect the work that some wildlife go through. I wish us humans would have more respect for them. :/
    did you know that usually mother squirrels build two nest in case of an emergency she has to move her babies?? we witnessed a mother moving her babies during a hurricane back in Florida. we actually stayed with one of her babies that she left at an oak tree while going to bring her other babies to a second nest. it was a really neat experience that my son and I will never forget. :)
    happy days to you,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting, and yes, it is an experience that will never be forgotten. Lucky you.

      Thanks Marie....I enjoyed the short time with the parakeets and hope to get back to them on a better day weather-wise.

      Delete
  4. Elks are sure impressive. Quite a few times I seen elk grazing in my Aunt feild.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a ruckus during mating season tho!!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I DID notice the hoof! But I bet no one else will. Your bunny dish is adorable! Now I'm off to Target. the Monk Parakeet is so painstaking in his weaving!! Just the perfect spot must be found. The Kestril on the Flagpole looks like he was made to fit there! a very patriotic bird of prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the parakeets, tho, there are several working on the same 'condo' nest site. Yes, you could say the bird is patriotic. Well thought out Ginny.

      Delete
  6. That is a darling jelly bean dish!! I bet it will look very pretty filled with colorful beans and a hint of sun on it.

    MY word to spend that much time on the Elk only to make a HUGE mistake on the anatomy. Good grief. Maybe they should plant some flowers or grown covering around the bottom. We enjoyed to video...birds R US
    Happy Easter
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea!! Ground cover! You keep thinking!!
      Thanks...and Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  7. I would never have spotted the hoof error. I guess I'm not as observant as I thought I was.
    I like the bunny jelly bean dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had elk 'in my back yard' in colorado

      Delete
  8. You would think someone who could make such a great sculpture would know better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the parakeet video is impressive. Such detail! We have a parakeet and I know he isn't into detail.....of anything! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. That parakeet video is very cool!
    I love the bunny dish and I think Bud's pretty special to pick it up.
    I wouldn't have known about the hoof, but I think the artist should have done better research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: artist...indeed.
      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  11. Amazing that you have those pretty little birds living there! The nest building is very impressive! Funny about the elk. We have them here and they are HUGE! You don't want to see those cloven hoof-prints in your gardens:) A kestrel on a flag pole - my goodness, it is a birder's paradise there! Sweet of the hubs to bring home the little dish. x K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, love the monk parakeet. Great video. I would not have noticed the hoof. Your bunny dish is pretty. Happy Easter to you! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and have a happy holiday

      Delete
  13. I love your sweet pink bunny dish! Good eye catching that horses hoof on the elk! It was so interesting about the parakeet! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great holiday marie! thanks

      Delete
  14. Perhaps a bit of artistic license for better stability of the piece? I am probably being too generous! Loved the video..

    ReplyDelete

.