“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





No Access That Day!

I had plans of leaving early and walking to the river and Pollywog Ponds. Once I got out of town the rush hour traffic was letting up, and I could cruise down the highway. But, when I got to my exit for Pollywog Ponds, and getting onto Up River Road, I could see that the city crews had my road blocked off. They're repairing the small section that washes out in heavy rain...and I couldn't get into where I park. Oh well, the best laid plans never 'pan out' sometimes. And since Bazemore Park is just down the freeway about 5 miles, I decided to go there and do my walking....even tho I was just there the week prior. Maybe I will see something special this time. Well, I did! The rainfall produced a great field of wildflowers! And the mosquitoes were hungry!! I made a note to buy more repellent for the upcoming season. [and I thought to myself, "I'm glad they WERE working at Pollywog! There are more mosquitoes there than all the citywide property combined!"] I wasn't much prepared for those nasty blood suckers! So, I didn't do too much stopping and checking for birds from their songs in the trees...or I'd have to have had a blood transfusion. lol

So, without further chit chat, my photos for the morning's walk...



[the birds here today are:  Belted Kingfisher -same in silhouette, black bellied whistling ducks, and great kiskadee]  Erik, our son, told me that in Houston's Memorial Park and surrounding areas, the Texas Bluebonnets are in full bloom everywhere...for some reason, they're not here!!  I look forward to those blossoms in the Spring.  Maybe next week.

35 comments :

  1. Beware the mosquitoes! I hate their bites. Your single yellow flower and the lavender ones by the water are beautiful pictures. I am searching my mind to identify them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those you think are lavender are actually pink [guess it's the shade from the trees]...they're night primrose, the yellow is "Texas Dandelion". Yep, mosquitoes are nasty boogers.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found these beautiful flowers. yellow flowers make me happy. but mosquitoes do not make me happy... we don't have them yet because of no rain. they will appear once the rains come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister says the same about ANYTHING yellow. A "happy" oclor.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, the flowers are pretty. I love the kingfisher and the kiskadee. Great birds. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like kingfishers...especially hearing them chatter. :o)

      Delete
  4. Oh NO, you must be covered in bites! You never hear much about calamine lotion anymore, wonder if something better has replaced it? My favorite here is the gorgeous Kingfisher silhouette. Also the flowers, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know to take the 'itch' away, liquid hand sanitizer works for me.

      Delete
  5. I just read your heart attack page, I think I had read it before. You are doing such a good thing, if only women would read this. I know that I will be more aware now. And praising God that you are still with us and showing us so much beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this photos. Thank you so much for sharing your part of our beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful world indeed....if only we could have peace.

      Delete
  7. Oh I hate mosquitoes. I love your pictures though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....but, I'd rather have a mosquito bite me than a snake. LOL

      Delete
  8. Hi Anni, Wow, the birds and wildflowers are so pretty. I do dread the mosquitoes this summer here in GA. You take the most wonderful pictures. Hope you have a pleasant evening. (I look forward to your bluebonnet pics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mildred...I hope I can find some bluebonnets!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous pictures of a gorgeous area. I too would not have been able to stand the skeeters. You'll be prepared next time, though. I love all of your captures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...on the way home I stopped and got me some good stuff to repel those nasties. lol

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos from your walk! Sorry the pesky insects kept you from totally enjoying it! I read in a comment above that hand sanitizer takes the itch away? I am sure going to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the hand sanitizer helps the continual itching after bitten.

      Delete
  11. I do like the Kingfisher. Mosquitoes...BLAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Blah" is putting it lightly. lol

      Delete
  12. Nice pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos as usual. I love the kingfisher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari...I'm always thrilled to see a kingfisher.

      Delete
  14. You have lovely pictures taken on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful series...

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the sunshine! the flowers by the lake are really pretty! the birds are my favorite. :)
    hope you have a great weekend.
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both...we do love our animals!!

      Delete
  17. you captured some beautiful images regardless of the bloodsuckers. i hate mosquitoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to dislike 'em. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Love seeing all the pretty wildflowers and birds. The Kingfisher is wonderful and the Great Kiskadee is something I've never heard of. A beautiful bird. Mosquitoes are the bane of life!

    ReplyDelete

.