my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Goose Island

Bud and I took a drive early one morning this past week to Copano Bay, Rockport-Fulton, and Goose Island. After crossing the causeway bridge over the bay waters, we turned off the state highway and entered Goose Island State Park area. We had an ulterior motive for this trip. Soon, the wintering whooping cranes and sandhill cranes will be leaving for the northern parts of the country [and into Canada] for breeding. We wanted to see 'em one more time for this season of those that spend their winter days here in this area. Altho we saw only three whooping cranes [two adults and one juvenile/1st year], there were several sandhill cranes, vultures, roseate spoonbills, ducks, ibis, herons, grackles and a few sparrows about. The whooping cranes were at such a distance away from the park road that photos were nearly impossible to get any clarity. Several head of cattle roamed the fields, with young calves close by their mamas. The turkey vultures always seem to follow the herd. But the cows didn't even take notice. The sandhill cranes, on the other hand, were a bit closer to the road at the curve that heads toward the "big tree". Parking at the tree, I walked back to the fence line along the road and took a photo of a couple of sandhill cranes and headed back to the tree to take a break from the warm sun, sitting in the shade of the mighty oaks! The area within the park and outside the boundaries are, in parts, the bay waters, the state park, a cemetery, an historic chapel, fishing piers and boat ramps, along with some residential sections, and beautiful twisting park roads all dappled in sunlight and shadow from the canopy of the many, many oak trees. While driving, slow down!!! For many-a-times I've had white tailed deer jump out of the tree cover in an unsuspecting instant!! Open your windows as you drive thru ... bird song and flashes of red from the abundance of cardinals flitting from tree to tree are very numerous. Now, the "Big Tree" area --- this Live Oak Tree is a 'hotspot' for tourists and residents alike...it's a small fenced off, shady area and a relief on a hot, hot, sultry day.


90 foot canopy
35+ foot circumference
height 45 feet
Approximated at up to 2000 years old
One of the most famous trees in the world!

After some picture taking we walked the park road with camera at the ready...A nice sized flock of white faced ibis came into view over the bay waters [enlarge the photo by clicking on it, and you can see the ibis in the sky above the water!]. As they neared where we were, I took a photo of them directly above us. They landed in the field, near the pond and cattail reeds where the cranes and cattle were feeding.

Luckily, as the morning wore on to where it was time to leave the park to head to a couple more birding areas in the Rockport-Fulton area, a lone whooping crane bid us adieu 'til November when they return to Lamar Texas for the winter months. Perhaps they'll bring some offspring!!






44 comments :

  1. Delightful. I always enjoy your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know you enjoy my post adventures.

      Delete
  2. that tree is totally awesome and AMAZING.. wow and wow again. I love it and want to see it... if I were there with my camera my post would have 13 cow pics and one bird pic. LOL... I love cows, truly I do. a park I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are usually plenty of cows around this area.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Love these birds and also how graceful they look while flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're huge....AND graceful. Indeed.

      Delete
  4. Live Oak trees are my very favorite! Such tough and sturdy and interesting trees. I miss the ones in SC. You have had a full flavored post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud is the same....he too has live oak as a favorite tree.

      Delete
  5. Love that last shot, and that tree is simply amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This tree is gorgeous and awesome! Your link says it is a OAK. I does seem they are one of the longer lived trees. I hope when spring comes, you will take a distance picture of it in all it's glory! Your crane in flight is gorgeous! And I do see the line of ibis over the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these oaks [Live Oaks] are evergreen.

      Delete
  7. the whooping crane is beautiful! stunning photo! and the tree..so beautiful and impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....but all I did was photograph them, I had nothing to do with the 'beauty of any of 'em'.

      Delete
  8. I would be thrilled just to get a chance at seeing a Whooping Crane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'd be the same way to see one of your yard's pileated!!

      Delete
  9. Bet that tree would be fun to climb.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be....but highly illegal.

      Delete
  10. Wow - such a lot of wildlife and beauty on this little jaunt. I love those old live oak trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....this area is ideal for just about all TX. wildlife.

      Delete
  11. Love that tree, haven't seen it, but one in the hill country is so large a bunch of senior citizens stretched out in front of it so someone could take a picture on one of my day trips in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, that tree is amazing. I had a white tail deer walk out into the road in front of me this morning. Luckily I spotted it soon enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like hitting them....not only the deer....but the damage to the car can be unreal.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful day! Lovely to see the cranes and all the various birds and animals and that tree.......my goodness......that is so amazing! If only trees could talk! xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you wonder, what story it would have to tell us?

      Delete
  14. Birds are beautiful but my favorite is the marvelous tree ~ wow! ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy and Peaceful Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and a happy week to you too Carol

      Delete
  15. So many different bird species to admire. The magnificent oak in all its glory is just a wonder to behold. PS The Whitechapel Bell Foundry is very much in Jack the Ripper territory. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry....I made Whitechapel two words and it should be one word. Thanks for the info. By the way, Jack the Ripper has always been a fascinating subject.

      Delete
  16. It is so different seeing our critters in other places at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll soon be headed your way.

      Delete
  17. I agree...open the windows to listen to the bird song..A chance to see whoopers would be awesome... I love the tree and the wildlife..Thank you for linking in Anni....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a perfect time of year here....the air is much drier and having windows open, you're not suffocating with the high humidity. Thank YOU Michelle.

      Delete
  18. That huge tree must be home to so many creatures

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that that old tree has survived the onslaughts of indifferent humans. Up here it doesn't seem to matter how old they are, if they are in the way, down they do ... Makes me sad.

    Love your Whooper ... great shot. The National Crane Foundation is breeding Whoopers up here to join with your Texas flock in order to try to same them from extinction. Hopefully you will see some of those birds in Texas next year ... sure would be nice :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to MORE cranes.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful photos Anni! I love that old live oak. I had one in my back yard that I liked, but finally had to have it taken down because it was posing a danger to my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to saving a house, tree removal is indeed the way to go.

      Delete
  21. Bel oiseau ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Um, that last shot is sweet!!!! Great birds out there. I'm a sucker for old oak trees. That's why we bought our place....well one of the reasons. We have two gorgeous oak trees shading our place during the hot summer months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Love the mighty oak! Thanks Chris

      Delete

.