“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





After The Storm...

I left home just before daybreak with overcast sky. By the time I reached the San Antonio/Houston ramps on the interstate, I was driving through a tremendous storm [blinding rain at times]. The worst thing I could do would be to pull off the road; I just kept going!! Eventually, I could see in front of the car again, but at times I had to slow down to 40 MPH and utilize my emergency lights along the stretch during the worst of it. I understand, after I returned home, that Corpus Christi was hit with a lot of rain also while Houston was under tornado-like skies and a couple touched down nearby in suburbs. Above me it was like it was midnight...dark, black and ominous. I was between Corpus and Houston.

I arrived at the park around 8 a.m. and spent the morning there, ate lunch in town, and returned to the park for one last walk around, getting home about 3 pm...

When I first got there, I was the only one. NICE!! I love the peace and quiet. I was going to enjoy my walking....wet and soggy tho it was. The winds were chilly to begin, I got my fleece hooded jacket out of the trunk, grabbed my camera and walked....

First thing I encounter was a broken tree from the daybreak's downpour..



...one outlook that extends over the river had a lot of debris.



...but the river was calm




...the spillway and Kingfisher Point, on the other hand, was a bit turbulent. Normally, this area is dry.



...the park's pond was quiet but some spill-over was swiftly running over into the cavern.



By mid-morning, more birders arrived and some of the wildlife awakened after the deluge! I spotted one male Green Kingfisher [got plenty of photos of it for my bird photography blog], the ground was literally swimming with both male and female cardinals, pewees, red-winged blackbirds [male and female], woodpeckers, chipping sparrows, lincoln's sparrows, one wilson's warbler, grackles, doves, vultures soaring, a flock of black bellied whistling ducks did a fly-over, vireos singing and kinglets flitting here and there.  Loads of Fox Squirrels and a couple of turtles....



After my trek to town and lunch, I returned for one more walk around. The pond is near the parking lot and heading back to the car, I spied this on the log in the pond...


DIAMOND BACK WATER SNAKE
[largest water snake in North America]
{non-venomous}


Yep, definitely time to LEAVE and head home!!!!
I HATE SNAKES


36 comments :

  1. my favorite photos today are the snake. those are AWESOME photos of him. he is a beauty. I don't love snakes but don't hate them either. spiders are another thing. the squirrel is amazing, I can see each little furry fur. I heard my TV say yesterday there is a tornado on the ground in Houston and thought of all my friends in Texas, had no idea you were out in the bad weather. even in that light your photos are beautiful of the wooded areas and I love the creek and would like to hear the rushing sound of it. we lived on one like that for 3 years in KY.... glad you were safe from the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like spiders eithr 😊 Thanks for the compliments today.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, Anni. I also love the snake pictures, although I'm glad they are just pictures. Glad you're okay after all that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a dull usual start for the day...for sure. Thanks D J

      Delete
  3. glad you made it home safely! the running water photos are so cool! I love your critters, so cute! the snake photos are incredible, I'm just not a fan of snakes. I would have probably taken off so fast I wouldn't have taken on photo. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the while I was taking the photos...I didn't realize it was watching ME...I probably would have run too.

      Delete
  4. Wish I was as brave as you. Greatly admire and respect someone that can get out in weather like that and still enjoy the sights of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary & hair raising for a while... but turned out to be a good time.

      Delete
  5. We had bad weather here too. Lots of limbs and some wooden fences down and LOTS of rain but no serious damage. Glad you made it through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a day! You are a Trooper!! Taking the pictures of the snake shows your true bravery. I love snakes and think they are beautiful and you have shown me this. Thanks. Mother Nature wins again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful...okay...for you. Me? I just took the photos for Bud & blog. 😊

      Delete
  7. Snakes and Spiders I hate them too, Anni we must be at least kissin' cuzzins!
    You got up with the chickens for this birding and photo session.
    hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually DO leave early....gives me more time to find those flying feathered friends.

      Delete
  8. What a day! Brrr ... I like the photo of the DIAMOND BACK WATER SNAKE. My first thought was: it is a rattlesnakes. Can this one bite you? Thank you so much for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful description of the days events. Also stunning photos to go with the words.I can almost imagine the birds singing after the rain.It must have been magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly...it was all so beautiful. Especially when it was just me and nature...before others showed up.

      Delete
  10. That snake would have sent me packing too

    ReplyDelete
  11. This snake is frightening for sure! I bet you used a LONG zoom on him. I guess it's true that the venomous ones are all very colorful, that is a warning. I can see the damage here for sure. Gosh, you were brave to go out what with everything going on!!! I am so glad the trip went well, and you even have a snake to show us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the beginning and driving through the storm it was a good day's outing.

      Delete
  12. That snake....no way! That was quite a storm. Still can't believe you got a pic of that snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....I am also surprised I had no nightmares. lol

      Delete
  13. Wow - looks like quite a storm! I like all the pictures, but oh boy, that snake is creeping me out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At moment on the waterfall I thought I saw ice. Still great photos.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear....nope, no ice this far. Well, maybe, but not this time

      Delete
  15. You are brave, Anni, going to the park alone and in bad weather to boot! Nice to see all the birds, though. The snake is very impressive, but I would not want to come face to face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....from the bank of the pond to the log with the snake...and using the ZOOM was close enough.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful snake! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay....but only if you say so.

      Delete
  17. You're so funny! I love snakes! The greenery is lovely, we're so white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wasn't trying to be funny....when it comes to snakes, I'm 'dead' serious. lol

      Delete
  18. Oh, my, I have enjoyed these photos...me feet almost feel wet just looking at them because of course knowing me I would have not had my boots with me.

    ReplyDelete

.