my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Life's A Beach - aka Your Tax Dollars At Work

I really couldn't come up with an appropriate title for what I'm about to divulge here in combination of my photos and such. A Duo title [with an AKA] is the best I could do...

LIFE'S A BEACH
 

I spent the good part of the morning one day this week along NORTH Padre Island.  I didn't want the crowds to contend with so I opted to drive the extra miles to Padre Island National Seashore [national park...so, there is a charge per vehicle except  for those that have the Federal Parks Pass].  Not too many pay the fee.  Other than a family of tourists, I was the only one there...nice!!  It was a blustery day. Light winds, but the sea was somewhat turbulent. I surmised it was because of the hurricane OTTO along the southern branch of Old Mexico stirring up the surf somewhat. Anyway as I walked along the shore, I was treated to a pod [the term used for a large group] of brown pelicans...



 
 
Your Tax Dollars At Work

I parked the car at the visitor's center since the park road was under construction beyond that point. I walked the distance, instead, on the sandy beach until I came to the last access road; finding this mess. My first thought was "your tax dollars at work". And hard at work he was!!  What the heck and where is the supervisor?  Probably up the road, behind a dune, in his car playing on HIS phone!!  Then, after an hour or two, break for coffee. Yep, we're paying him to play games on his cellphone...



...then, this!



FYI -

Did you know that PEOTUS already has the materials to build the WALL along the Mexican border? The material that will be used is from all that sh!t a brick when they found out that he was elected. 😀

- - -

Now this is my idea of our tax dollars being put to the BEST use!

On Thanksgiving morning, the sunrise was perfect.


But for a family in our neighborhood, the day was tragic. No lives were lost, but their home was damaged with smoke, making it a Thanksgiving that will long be remembered. And!! The fire and rescue saved the mama and her newborn puppies!! When I returned from my long walk before the turkey and all the fixin's were done, 'my' street was barricaded with fire trucks, cop cars, and ambulances. They let me through once I showed them an ID and that I lived on the street...I saw all this to my dismay. Sad, but good to know the efficiency of the fire team extinguished the fire within 11 minutes of the 911 call!!





You Have Questions?
I Have Answers!

In a previous post I added a couple of photos that showed how camouflage works so well with nature. Did you find the spider? Or, see the moths?  Here are the 'answers'....
the spider [outlined in black]:

the moths(2) [outlined in black]:




Another Glenn Beck Book

At the beginning of this week, Bud and I drove to Goose Island in hopes of seeing the wintering Whooping Cranes. We saw three. And, several vultures, cattle egrets, hawks, grackles and Sandhill Cranes. We then, stopped in Rockport at the Booknook. And I found another Glenn Beck book on the shelf. This booknook is a small business, stocking used books. I've read a few chapters so far, and it's proving to be another good read.

While a lot will be out and about for the Black Friday Shopping today, I will remain safe at home, off the streets and away from the hectic atmosphere of the 1st holiday weekend...probably to begin decorating for Christmas and taking precautions to avoid the pumpkin pie from getting old in the refrigerator!  *hint...devouring the pie leftovers today!!  LOL Is it lunch time?



30 comments :

  1. A fun eclectic post. I wonder what that guy is supposed to be doing other than play games on his phone. Yep, our tax dollars at work. Sigh. Glad the family and four-legged critters are all safe! Good for the fire department. Don't let that pumpkin pie get old, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't....my taste buds are making me drool as I type. I LOVE pumpkin pie.

      Delete
  2. our pie is sweet potato and will not last today out.. pelicans are my most favorite of all birds. These are AWESOME shots, all of them.. so beautiful. glad the family is ok and the dogs were saved, but so very sad to happen to them.. smoke damage can be taken care of quickly by professionals. bob had to have them do his house once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud LOVES sweet potato pie. I'm just happy to know that everyone was safe and sound...and the puppies were rescued.

      Delete
  3. Hello Anni, I love the Pelicans. Awesome shots. I am so happy that the family and the dogs were all OK. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sometimes so hard to fathom, just how precious life is and how it can be taken away in an instant.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you gave us the answers! I spotted them all except one moth. Gorgeous sunrise! The first thing of the day to be thankful for. A POD, that is a brand new thing I learned. Now to try and remember it. Just fabulous pelican pictures. Your poor neighbors! What caused the fire...I hope it is not so bad that they have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about 'remembering' trivial things like a pelican 'pod'.

      Delete
  5. P.S. Forgot to say that I love your new icy blue header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Pelicans! Schitterend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them Jedidja

      Delete
  7. I really like all the Brown Pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too..
      they're my favorite of the two species here.

      Delete
  8. Your pelican photos are excellent. What a great show they put on for you.
    I'm always amazed when I go through a "work" zone. There never seems to be a whole lot of work going on and there's several ways that I see money being wasted.
    Glad to hear no one was hurt in that house fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I have to bite my tongue and remain silent. But I would love to give 'em a piece of my mind.

      Delete
  9. It's bad to have a fire any time but seems more sad during the holidays. I guess at least it was just one worker wasting time. We have seen several leaning on a shovel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too. The shovel keeps 'em from falling over!

      Delete
  10. Such a joy visiting and learning so much. Also, like you telling it like it is. I noticed you acted on what I do not understand. No idea how to do it. Wish you lived closer and be by instructor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can help you any time LV

      Delete
  11. The pelican photos over the rough wave action gave me shivers! I felt the spray and felt the wind. Great series of shots. Very glad to hear mother dog and pups are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea was beautiful that day.

      Delete
  12. It most be interesting living by a big body of water. Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great place to be, by the coast!!!

      Delete
  13. I loved all those pelican pictures -- how they are taking off (at least looked like that to me), diving, swimming...etc. Ah! you are so lucky to have those near your home. Nothing..nada...here...not even during spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I do admit I really enjoy my area when it comes to birds/wildlife and scenery.

      Delete
  14. Wow - those pelican shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

.