MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Accidental Randomness...

Randomness One
Oftentimes I'm driving or walking and see something I'd consider rare, or an oddity of sorts....if I can, I photograph them and save them in hopes of using the item in a blog post on occasion. These following are nothing but occasional, fluky, accidental randomness. The first one has a bit of historical, geographical significance. It's called a zero milestone.


The Bronze plaque reads:
"Zero Milestone Corpus Christi Texas Nineteen Thirty One"

These stones [or sometimes the central post office building] are used to measure distance...miles from certain cities, or within the city itself. When you check distance between two cities, on maps or Google mileage check, the milestones come into use.  The most famous one in the world is probably the "All Roads Lead to Rome" marker: Milliarium Aureum ("Golden Milestone") of the Roman Empire, which in part, still exists today. The milestone in our nation's capital is near the white house; often overlooked. Read more HERE

Randomness Two

A tree grows in Corpus...
This gnarled growth of a small tree in a park caught my eye one day recently. This park used to be heavily wooded, but the city crews have been out there with a clean-up vengeance, and now, from the park path, you can spot this crooked tree easily!


Oso Bay in Background


Randomness Three


This unusual photo was taken intentionally. At the Packery Channel Park and Jetty, you can park your vehicle in a large lot and walk the paved pathway to the end of the jetty all parallel to the boat channel where sportsmen are spotted fishing from the banks, or taking their boats out to the Gulf. And, at the parking facility, there are covered benches. The covered areas have port holes on each side. While I was sitting from a long walk to cool down this past summer from the heat of the day before I got in the car with the A/C on, I viewed from the portal this...A string of the covered areas giving this swirled 'illusion'. The 'swirls' are from several, lined, individual bench kiosks...


Mustang Island Packery Channel
Parking Area


Randomness Four

...by a Long Stretch!!

A couple of pictures of the JFK Causeway and Crossing from Padre Island looking toward the city of Corpus Christi. I cross this at least three times a week or more to go birding on the islands - Mustang Island and Padre Island.


Top view [My home is clear on the far horizon!]
I then cut off the highway and used the inter-coastal turnaround
to get a view from underneath the bridge crossing
only to have to get back on the causeway and climb again before dropping
down into the waterway and paddling home [kidding]!!


Randomness Five


At one of the historical cemeteries in town I spotted this very damaged palm tree.
Woodpeckers make it a home/nesting spot.
The 2nd one is also a palm tree camouflaged with a straight and narrow light fixture.


Randomness Six

The last one for this post [I have many other random photos for a future post] is one of the several covered gazebos along the "other" side of Oso Bay. You may recall I mention Hans Suter Refuge/Park where I walk the trail and check out the bird life on the water and along the paths. Well, these gazebos are on the OTHER side of the bay near and on the university grounds. The path is lighted for nighttime safety AND the gazebos are also lighted. They're strategically placed throughout the long paved walkway for optimal viewing of the bay waters. Many use this [mostly students, but it's open for public use]...while many joggers, bikers and walkers I encounter along the way. You can exit the path and the gazebos and walk the shoreline if the tide is right.


The Bay is in front of the lone tree beyond the yucca plant
and the
campus and Gulf of Mexico is behind the row of trees


33 comments :

  1. Now these are interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing and I'll look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime soon, I'll do another random post. Thanks Paula

      Delete
  2. I like your randomness. The third one I had to really look at because it looked like a design on the side of the structure. It's very cool. I also like the palm tree light. You sure can get some interesting pictures by standing in just the right spot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, when I took the photo, I didn't 'see' the swirling' until I uploaded it to the computer.

      Delete
  3. I love the weather thingy on the top of the gazebo and that swirly thing made up os many covered benches is just to cool... I love random and you have a lot of good random here. my first time ever hearing about zero marker rocks. very interesting.. like an old time survey tool
    I am wondering if that tree is a native American marker tree. had never heard of them until Gail posted about them here http://gailatthefarm.blogspot.com/2016/11/native-american-trail-marker-trees.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There WERE Native Americans in this same area [a burial ground is nearby]...but this tree, I think, is too young. Very small.

      Interesting tho. I just read about them. from her link provided.

      Delete
  4. love your random photos...love the tree in front of the bay and the palm tree with bird condos. :) I've got a lot of random photos too. lol my husband laughs at what I see and must photograph sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too...Bud watches me take a photo and shakes his head with a "Now, what are you gonna do with THAT photo?" remark.

      Delete
  5. Nice! I like the optical illusion of the benches all lined up the best, but they are all fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was so odd it was neat. lol Thanks D J

      Delete
  6. Wouldn't a 3-D camera be fun to use?? A Randomness blog is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do they work, even....I wouldn't know?!! But it'd definitely be fun to try one and experiment with it.

      Delete
  7. I don't know which is my favorite! I have never seen a milestone, but maybe this is where the saying comes from...to reach another milestone. The poor tree is wild!! Wonder what caused this. Love the lined up shot of the benches!! It is a very clever shot. It took some thought to line up the lamp post with the palm tree, and the result is a good trick of the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thanks Ginny. You always leave such positive feedback. And I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. All wonderful photos and love the surprises or 'random photos' that we can find when not planning ~ a 'serendipity' ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a lovely week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely piece of randomness - now I would like to go back and have lots more detail of the surroundings. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like all your random images especially the porthole swirl.

    I'm assuming the weathervane in the last image is not on the gazebo but a building in the background??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia....and, yes, the weather vane IS part of the gazebo. They're atop each one of them along the pathway.

      Delete
  11. Interesting about #1. Never thought of actual markers! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember long ago as a young girl, some ranch had these stone markers for their property line with inscriptions. Wish I could remember where it was. LOL

      Delete
  12. Yep, you are a true blogger. I take lots of pics because I might use it one day in a post. I guess we are pixel hoarders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "pixel hoarder"....I like that reference.

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed this randomness! Those swirls are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting structures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed them Rajesh.

      Delete
  15. Great shots. I like that gnarly tree.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all super shots Anni- I love randomness and uniqueness- and you got both in this post. I want to see a milestone now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great random shots, Anni.

    Someday I'll be catching whiting from the shore (or a bridge) down there again. Someday!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the idea for your post Anni.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.