my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Five

Five blossoms of a sunflower...


SILVER LEAF SUNFLOWER -and bee



RANDOMS
What do you do when you spot a wild Trump in the election season? New York Times bestselling author and comedian Michael Ian Black has some sage advice for children (and all the rest of us who are scratching our heads in disbelief) in this perfectly timely parody picture book intended for adults that would be hysterical if it wasn’t so true.

This is really not about politics, it's about a funny/cute book I found in the "New Released" section at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago. There were stacks of them at the time. Yesterday, Bud wanted to go in the bookstore for his monthly magazine, and I again perused the 'new' section while waiting for him to check out. Ironically, the massive amount of these books were not to be seen anywhere. Did they sell out of them, or is the book too controversial for the American political correctness issues? I, on the other hand, sat down in Starbuck's and read the entire book the first time I saw it. I had my cellphone nearby and couldn't resist taking some pics of the cover/back cover and a couple of inside pages. It's probably considered copyright infringing, but it could also be considered free public use and perhaps free advertising. I'm not impugning any work of this publication, I just enjoyed it immensely and had to laugh. It's cute, it's genius. I can't help but think, being that this state is very much GOP, that there were complaints and they took it to the back room - I don't know why you'd want to, but you can buy it on Amazon...




- - -

Driving to and from the islands I spotted this on the way there...and coming back into town on the same freeway, I was primed to get a photo of it. I thought it was cool to have a PINK flag for Cancer Awareness Month. Also, in and around town many many cars these days have license plate frames that say "Drive Pink"...and the frames are pink!!


- - -

Bud and I have done a bit of yard work this week early in the morning. After we were done yesterday I was trying to think of what to fix for dinner. Something light and not too heavy. So, I came up with pasta salad. Most times, 'cause it's Bud's favorite way, I make it with mayonaise/mustard dressing. This time, MY FAVORITE WAY...with Italian dressing. A slice of toasted garlic bread, tossed salad and fresh fruit will round out the meal...



It's simple to make:

1-2 cups cooked shelled pasta [the amount depends on how much pasta you wish to have in the salad -cooled]
1 medium green bell pepper [cleaned and diced]
1 medium red bell pepper [cleaned and diced]
1 8 oz bag of kraft cubed white/yellow cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1 small bottle of ANY Italian dressing
[I use Ken's Olive Oil and Vinegar - it's tangy/sweet]
1 Tbs. of ground black peppercorns [I don't add salt, but for some, probably...to taste]

Mix all ingredients in a large serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate several hours before serving. It looks great on a plate with shredded greens [different lettuces and broken raw spinach]

Note: I've also added frozen corn to the mixture and chopped celery. Most anything can be added that the dressing compliments.

- - -


Is anyone else getting tired of Twitter and the TWEETS or Facebook entries becoming online NEWS articles? OMG!! First of all who cares who runs into whom on the streets of New York City and how congenial they were? Or who's tweeting about this and that? Scandals, snubbing, mudslinging, crimes...you name it. Seems the media hype is not ever going to improve; but get worse!! What happened to actual reporters getting out and searching/interviewing and getting a REAL honest to god GOOD story, worthy of reading?  That's why I continue to blog instead of the social media of the two aforementioned....I see GOOD and happy and beautiful posts, images!!


- - -

FIVE RANDOMS...FIVE facts on the number "5"
-the shape of the 5 character has an ascender in most modern typefaces, in typefaces with text figures the character usually has a descender [usually the curve of the five is written BELOW the line -as the 'tail' of nine]

-The number of appendages on most starfish, which exhibit pentamerism

-Perception is conceived to occur through five senses.

-November 5 is now known as Guy Fawkes Night or Guy Fawkes Day in the UK. [Have you seen the movie, V for Vendetta *an historical event where the failed plot to assassinate King James of Enlgland happened on November 5. By the way, "V" in Roman Numerals is the symbol for five]

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

-In computer jargon/Binary, this is what "5" looks like,




45 comments :

  1. I know you are familiar with the hurricane watch thing, where will it go and where will it come back to... living on the gulf coast we become experts.
    the book is hilarious from what I see here.. I would have read it to but not bought it... it would be a read and toss for me. I am going to try this pasta this coming week, can't do it today because I need the cheese and peppers.
    I am on FB for one reason, it is the only way to contact my children and bobs children... I don't do the crazy stuff, I just go look to see what they are doing... I do not have a twitter account, I just don't care what others have to say about anything at all... I think the social media is one of the worst things that has happened to our world. my hubby had to sit for an hour in the waiting room when he came to pick me up from eye surgery yesterday. he just told me there were 8 people besides him waiting and he was the only one that was not poking a phone or tablet. he said at one time 3 of the 8 phones rang almost at the same time playing wild music and then the sound of to loud voices... he has never touched a cell phone and rarely answers the home phone. it was a crazy experience for him. I told him they were doing twitter/fb or playing games. I liked it better when we had conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, when I had surgery and Bud was in the waiting room he mentioned that scenario also. Sad thing I guess to be so addicted, yet...I can understand playing a game app to pass time and relieve stressors when someone you love is in the operating room....and you wait, and wait, and wait.

      Delete
  2. Pretty sunflower!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU ... and you're welcome.

      Delete
  3. I like your post about fives, and I'll look for that book for a laugh. Maybe. Probably I'll forget about it unless I run across it in a store. I'll be glad when this election season is behind us. Not long now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhh, you and me both. I'm really not liking either candidate to be honest.

      Delete
  4. Great idea indeed about the pink flag, here in the UK our local farmer has used pink silage covers on the bales to raise awareness, its brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the snippets about 5. Looks like a great recipe, perfect for a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it makes enough to have leftovers which I try to do 'cause cooking for two is difficult. lol

      Delete
  6. It can't be nearly Guy Fawkes night already! Where has the year gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....another November coming all too soon.

      I don't have your blog url, so can't visit with you.

      Delete
  7. This week I'm spending a lot of time on my laptop following a Facebook site of the weatherman in Myrtle Beach SC who is very good. I think it is great to be able to follow important happenings such as a hurricane's progress near the homes of personal friends. Otherwise, you will not ever find me or the Mister on a mobil phone texting, talking, or looking at a screen. It's just not necessary in my world. Real photos of surroundings and extraordinary things of nature are just so much more interesting, I think. You?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow ALL the hurricanes with my NHC app on my phone. Living where we do, it's a must...it updates me every hour until it dissipates. As with FB and Twitter, I don't use it but once in a blue moon...I have an account with FB but I only go out to it if Irene tells me I should to catch up on HER news. Otherwise, I can't stand it. Too cliquey for one thing, Twitter is all about celebs and their tweets...the news follows that like it's of great value. I just don't see it. Also, I don't do emails either except for family. Blogging is my forté. I like the simple camaraderie.

      What I meant in my post is that the online news coverage is always who's who and what's what on twitter. That I don't like.

      Delete
    2. ....we don't have TV either. Well, cable. We have a tv, but rarely use it unless we have the DVD.

      Delete
  8. That book looks hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of Guy Fawkes day! The book is hilarious!! I agree with you about Twitter. Your salad looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then...we're in total agreement. lol
      Thanks Ginny, for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Oh my! I hope you USA'nians wote reasonably....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the choice of the two....it's most difficult. No matter who wins, I think we Americans are lost.

      Delete
  11. Lovely post! The book sounds hilarious. Add one more to your Fifth of November - it's my wedding anniversary. I chose a day I would never forget lol.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever lady!!! Wish I woulda thought of that. :0)

      Delete
  12. you made me hungry looking at your pasta salad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. come on down to So. Texas....plenty leftover for us all.

      Delete
  13. The pasta salad looks good. The best thing about salads like that is you can put whatever you want in them. I used to work with the guy who owns the company that makes Ken's dressing. Or at least he did own it. He was just starting out with it when I knew him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good...and as you say, you can add just about ANYthing and it'll be tasty.

      Delete
  14. Your pasta salad looks good. My favorite way is with the Italian dressing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many of us that like it that way. At least in our house. LOL

      Delete
  15. A fun five. I grew up with Guy Fawkes Night. I remember trying to explain what it was all about to my American friends the first time I came over. "Well, this man tried to unsuccessfully blow up the Houses of Parliament. He was burned at the stake and the country celebrates that every year by throwing a scarecrow called Guy Fawkes on top of a bonfire. " I got some interesting looks ;) I have fun memories of the crackling of the bonfire, fireworks and cooking baking potatoes in the embers supervised by the adults I hasten to add, and as a kid didn’t think of the symbolism of the scarecrow, or the man it represented. The recipe looks delicious. I haven't seen that Trump book yet but then it's been a while since I went to the store. Thank you for sharing those pretty sunflowers with Today's Flowers, and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I had never heard of him 'til we watched the movie V for Vendetta. Of course then, I was curious and went online to read the history of it all.

      Delete
  16. We always celebrated Guy Fawkes day/night as a kid, pretty much the same way as Denise describes above. Sometimes the boys would put firecrackers in the guy before he was thrown on the bonfire which made things a bit more exciting.
    Summers coming up soon and your salad looks sooo invitingEnjoy your weekend.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana....it's taken me a while to get back online to read those comments from my visitors. Hope you're doing well and your mother's health issues have improved.

      Delete
  17. Now if I could sit down with a bowlful of that yummy looking salad, with that book in my hand... I think it would be a delightful meal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Went out and pick the winter squash out of the garden.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...baked squash with tons o' butter. Mmmmm.

      Delete
  19. Hi Anni....love your post and the salad looks delicious.
    Hurricane Matthew came calling here yesterday....weather geeks got the track W R O N G..
    Horrible horrible weather. We were up most of the night listening to howling gusty wind and torrential rain. Power out for 6 1/2 hours...not that long considering Florida outages
    Hugs Cecilia and madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your most recent comment today, I must say just a broken limb and a roof leaking isn't that bad. Coulda been much worse.

      Delete
  20. Love those sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Humm that salad looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great 5! loved the randoms on the #5...the #5 is my daughter's favorite number...the pink flags are great...my husband works for ford...i'll have to ask if they've done that! beautiful sunflower and that pasta salad looks delicious! thank you for linking and i hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing a lot of pink around town.

      Delete

.