MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




The Three B's

Books, Birds, and Beach...


My Friday

Friday morning very early as the sun rose from the horizon, I was on the road, makin' tracks to the jetty and beach. It was supposed to get quite warm [nothing new in the weather report]. I wanted to get my walking done before the temps reached 90! I was out and about for about two and a half hours, and I must actually say, it remained pleasant. When my trek to the beach and back to the parking lot at the channel entrance, the car thermometer registered 82 degrees; the sea breeze was comfortable. I can handle that. During my time outdoors, I walked the entire jetty, stopping only to get photos of shorebirds along the jetty's boulders, and then at the end, jutting out beyond the channel, I stopped to enjoy the views and watch the waves come crashing in. A few fishermen lined the jetty, while out in the sea, the surfers and those few paragliding were keeping active. Oftentimes you see vehicles stuck in the soft sand and those helping out with winches to pull them out...











Tide, Surf, Waves ... A Paraglider is done...time to wrap it up and go home!


- - -

My Thursday

I finished what I started last week...another sketch.
Have y'all heard of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker before today? It resembles the Pileated Woodpecker in a way, but still, it was different...The comparison online can be viewed HERE.
    It's believed to be extinct. But!!!....The beautiful, very large, ivory-billed woodpecker recently went from near total obscurity to super-stardom when birders reported a sighting of the believed-to-be-extinct species. The world's third largest woodpecker was condemned to oblivion some 50 years ago, but in April 2005, a stunning video emerged from a vast Arkansas swamp forest. The tape confirmed the sighting of a live ivory-billed woodpecker—and captured the attention of the world. It was hailed as the birding equivalent of finding Elvis alive. The last reported sighting. prior to the 2005 sighting, was in the Louisiana Swamps in 1944!!! Until one gentlemen got a video of what is believed to be an Ivory Billed Woodpecker in Arkansas. Here is a National Geographic site explaining it.

I've been to Louisiana, and would love to see this elusive bird. A dream, I know...but, reading about them, it's so fascinating! After watching the video while perusing websites for books available on the subject, I am again enthralled and excited that perhaps there ARE Ivory Bills out there in the American Swamps. I just HAD to draw them for myself. If only I could find a sponsor that would allow me to go canoeing in the areas that would be highly probable habitat environment...I'd go at the drop of the hat!!!


IVORY BILLED WOODPECKER
male with red crest - female all black crest

Read More [books on the subject]
THE GRAIL BIRD
STALKING THE GHOST BIRD
GHOST BIRDS  [1935-1941]


My Wednesday

It was totally different midweek, Weatherbug app on my phone had a heat advisory...again!! The heat index was to soar to 118°!!! Might as well be livin' in Death Valley. Not pleasant at all. Nasty. I stayed home and read most of that day. But, I stopped reading the 'new' book I mentioned in a previous post 'cause when Bud wanted to go to Barnes n Noble, I found a nifty NEW book just published. The last one on the shelf, I grabbed it and I sat down in Starbuck's while he perused the history bookshelves. The book I found was a rewritten novel. I say rewritten 'cause the novel was once published long ago by Lew Wallace...BEN HUR [circa 1880]. And, the recently published novel, also Ben Hur, is by his great great granddaughter, Carol Wallace.
    critiques say: It is a retelling of the story of Ben-Hur, whom is mentioned in the Bible. From what I have gathered, Ben-Hur is only mentioned briefly in the Bible and this story is based on the author's imagination (with help from her great-great grandfather's first version) as to what Ben-Hur's life might have been like during that time. 
    Jesus (Yeshua) is brought into Ben-Hur's life at different points of the story and how he might have been seen through his eyes. Other Biblical characters are also brought into the story to show how they might have been a part of Ben-Hur's life also.
    What nostalgia and warm memories this title invokes! As a young girl when a less complicated life afforded larger chunks of time for reading, Ben-Hur was an exciting story that brought biblical times to life 
    What a captivating and enthralling story Ben-Hur is along with a short history of Lew Wallace who wrote the original story in the 1800’s! When you read this novel, don’t expect or compare this to Lew Wallace’s story as both are unique and inspiring.



38 comments :

  1. Ben Hur. I have read it when I was young . I can still recall it was very sad .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Ben Hur but I do recall seeing the movie half a lifetime ago. I don't remember much about it of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the movie well. The new one comes out this coming week I believe.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, never read Ben Hur, but seen the movie. Wish I was at beach, sigh. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down....I'll take you along to the beach. Just a 15 minute drive from Hootin' Anni's!!!

      Delete
  4. Your beach pictures are, as usual, really good. I think I'll take a look at that book. Right now I've got three ahead of it to read, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier to read than the one by Lew W!!! More 'modern' English.

      Delete
  5. Your sketches are wonderful! The waves brought back so many memories of my beach experiences in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only enjoy the beaches this time of year...getting outdoors away from the sea breeze and it's too hot and intolerable. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  6. I love your wave shots! So crisp and cooling! Is the large white bird a heron? YES, I saw the T.V, show about the Ivory Billed! I was glued to the couch! At first glance I thought you had drawn the Pileated. They look so alike. We have Pileateds around here, always so fun to see, being they are so big. I am so glad you are featuring your art more, it is always a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Ginny, I should have made note of that on my photos, the white bird is a Snowy Egret. Yes, they are close to the pileated, the ivory billed, but the color patterns are quite different - and the size. I guess...from what I've been told anyway.

      Thanks for the art compliment.

      Delete
  7. Hello Anni!:) Lots going on at the beach even so early in the morning. I like your wave images and the egrets, but your sketch of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is fantastic. I enjoyed the N G video, it's exciting to think it might still be in the swamps. I enjoyed the Ben-Hur film, and well remember the famous chariot race. I won't be reading the Ben-Hur book as I've just received a couple of new nature books which I'll be reading for a while, but will look forward to seeing the new Ben-Hur film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....boy, I would love to see one in real time!!!

      I'm looking forward to the new Ben Hur movie too.

      Delete
  8. I love your pictures from the jetty. I hope the ivory billed woodpecker is still around in the Louisiana swamps. I spent a lot of time working on natural gas processing plants and the locals would eat anything that flew, crawled, skittered, slithered, or walked across the plant site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and they STILL eat everything that walks, crawls, flies!!!

      Glad you enjoyed the jetty photos Yogi.

      Delete
  9. OMW What incredible news that an "extinct" bird was sighted. I'll watch the video after I've posted this comment. I'm surprised that your beaches permit sedan cars. We used to be able to ride on South African beaches but this has been banned about 20 years now. I think you may take your ski-boat to the water and then have to go over the dunes and park your 4X4 (beach vehicle only) in the parking lot. I love the photos of the waves. Thanks for sharing your half week with us. Blessings Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most beaches have any vehicle access....but those that don't realize how soft the sand can be are in for a surprise when their cars don't go anywhere but kick up sand. LOL

      Thanks for stopping by today Jo...it's always a pleasure having your company.

      Delete
  10. We had some rain here this morning, much appreciated. Not enough but as you know most times not enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at least you got some rain!

      Delete
  11. I love the pileated woodpecker...OMWord!! Bravo
    It was feels like 104 here yesterday the ocean looks very refreshing but I bet it was close to 80 degrees.
    We 3 seniors are exhausted here.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the probable, nearly extinct ivory billed woodpecker! yes...too hot & miserable beyond 10 a.m.

      Delete
  12. Hello, I like the beach photos and the pretty Snowy Egret. Your drawing of the woodpecker is awesome, I would love to see this bird too. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU for the compliment & hosting Eileen.

      Delete
  13. Ok. I figured out your comment section. One comment per page!! Great pics. On my way to Florida at the end of the month. Could you turn off the rain? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well now...if only texas HAD some rain like Florida.

      Delete
  14. The Egret is lovely. Their feathers seem so perfect. I saw the advert for the new Ben Hur movie. Might have to see it. Never read the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'old' book is a difficult read. At least for me it was...lots of Latin.

      Delete
  15. That was a long walk - good for you!
    I think that bird news is so exciting! It would be awesome to see one.
    I didn't know Ben Hur was mentioned in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with the BOOK, Ben Hur is FICTIONAL. But there is mention of the HUR in some areas of the King James Version...Ben, in the Hebrew language means 'son'...so Ben Hur is the son of the Hur tribe.

      Where it is mentioned.... http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/hur/

      Delete
  16. I believe in that woodpecker. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures are always extraordinary. But today I love the surfer I love the fisherman I love the lone fisherman I love the pictures of the waves. I feel like I have been there. I do love the beach and I do love books. That is one awesome bird and so glad that there's one still alive. The painting is beautiful or the drawing rather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be exciting to see that bird in real time. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  18. I especially liked the pictures of the waves. But then all the pictures are just amazing. It is so much fun to take walks with you on the beach and see all the goings on.Hope you are having a good week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marg....I hope you're having a good weekend too.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful sketch, Anni.

    I too have dreamed of seeing an Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

    We do have the Pileateds around in W.V. What whacky noises they make!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good photos of the birds and waves at the beach. A 118 heat index sounds miserable! You did a nice job on the drawing of the ivory-billed woodpeckers. If only we could find some more supposedly extinct creatures still alive...it is so sad when species vanish never to be seen again. How wonderful that the woodpeckers are still around!

    ReplyDelete

.