“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Chew Chew Twain

BLOGGER FEATURE

If you've recently noticed in Blogger Admin, you can now add a "Featured Post" to your blog. Of course when I see anything telling me I can do something "new", I'm all for trying it out. And it's simple! Login, go to Blogger Layout,  click Gadget + ...find "featured post gadget" select where you want your featured post to show up in your layout design [I did it for the sidebar with my recent flower post]. After your gadget opens, Blogger will give you several posts from which to choose. Make your choice of the post you want featured, and your preferences on how it will be displayed....scroll down, and save. Go back to your blog and check it out. You can rearrange it by returning to the Layout. It may be a feature I like. We'll see. It might be what I call a 'come in handy'. At some point, I think it would be a nifty idea to feature an exceptional post you see OTHER than your own blog. But, that's my opinion, and it probably wouldn't go over too well with Blogger. lol


- - -

WINSTON


It was a weekend from H E double L for us and our wee little Winston [our Persian]. Saturday he was quite lethargic....but being a male cat, I didn't become concerned.  After a long hot day, I finally went to bed.  Sunday morning I got up and came out through the living room to the dining room.  Winston was up on the arm of the sofa.  I petted him on the head a 'good morning' and he winced and cried out in pain.  Immediately the lights came on and I noticed his neck with a small blood stain.  Waking Bud up to come to help out and be my nurse while I examined our kitty....probing around, I smelled abscess.  It was on his throat.  With his long hair, as any Persain has, it was difficult to inspect, but we got to the area while he was wincing and whining in pain.  I cleaned his wound that I found, draining as much abscess as I could and upon further examination, there was a gaping hole by now.  I called the Veterinarian Hospital's ER in town and rushed him in after we got dressed and prepared his kitty carrier.  Once we got in, the Vet nurse took over.  Taking temp, examining Winston and asking questions for us to answer.  Then, the doctor came in.  After her examination, we figured it was about a 99% assumption he had been bitten by a spider.  For the 2nd time in a few hours, Winston was cleaned, the opened area was shaved, antibiotics and cleansing lotion was prescribed.  After about 3 hours, we all left for home, exhausted.  For the next two weeks we have to administer the antibiotics, keeping the wound cleaned and covered...We're all recouping from this; it's difficult to see and note that an animal is in pain and suffering.  Thank God for the veterinarians.


- - -

BOOK REVIEW

Another exceptional read is on my nightstand! Behind the Palace Walls by Katie Nicholl [UK's royalty correspondent and author]. I've always had a deep fascination of British History from King Henry VIII on up to today.  So, with this title, and the cover design, I was thrilled to pick it up at Half Price Books for $1.  Ms. Nicholl, by the way, has an upcoming new book to be published soon...or it may be out in England by now...I haven't seen it here yet...."The Future Queen" about Kate Middleton [this will be a good follow-up book since Behind the Palace Walls tells of how Prince William met and courted Kate].  But the book shown here today, is another fantastic behind the scenes story of the two princes and their struggle to lead a normal life and still be part of the royal family.  Ms. Nicholl's depiction is concise, vividly portrayed, well written and filled with a deep empathy of the Wales family values - including Diana Spencer, Prince Charles, Queen Mom, Queen Elizabeth, and all the women and girls the boys, William and Harry, adore/adored, throughout their younger days...My opinion, written with distinct accuracy!


- - -

FENCED LIZARD

Several weeks ago, I took this photo of the 'fenced in' caged lizard at the outdoor exhibit at the Botanical Gardens. I then, made use of the app SuperPhoto Pro and had these results. The filters I used of the original [seen on the left] were Burning, then, clicked on composition and used Hardlight. After that, the image was saved and re-opened in the app and I used Linen filter.



- - -

Smile!!




I just had my feathers done!! & Stick around; watch me perform!!

Captain Oinker and his shipmates!! & Anyone up for BBQ at the Chew Chew?

59 comments :

  1. Just a few minutes ago, I was reading about this new gadget! Like you, I think it would be better if it highlighted a friend's post. I didn't even know you had a cat! He is so pretty! I don't know how you can give him the meds and clean him! We cannot do anything with our cats as far as administering meds. They hiss and, even wrapped up it would take a vet to do it. Oh NO, you need to have a big spider hunt! What if you get bit next? I would be a nervous wreck. But then again, I am terrified of spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, we have two cats.
      And as for the meds, the vet usually gives us an option of pills or liquid meds. I have no problems giving our critters liquid.

      Delete
  2. I tried the new gadet too. It is possible to feature any of your previous posts but I didn't know it was possible to link to another blog. I'll try that.

    Sorry to hear about Winston. Nice name you gave him - shades of Great Britain there. Hope he's feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Winston...as in Winston Churchill....can't you just picture a cigar stub hanging from his mouth. LOL

      Thanks Phil. I don't think you can feature another blog tho, at least not right now. But if someone would suggest it to blogger...........*hint

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your message Anni. We could do with a Winston Churchill right now in GB.

      Delete
    3. The world would benefit, I'm sure. Politicians today...well, 'nough said.

      Delete
  3. Poor Winston! Like you said, Thak goodness for veterinarians! We recently had to take our cat, Bandit, in to the vet for an abscess on his front leg. He is fine now and I hope Winston heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, love the name "Bandit".
      Thanks Florence.

      Delete
  4. I am thinking Capt. Oinker might be a tad upset at the photo next to him being BBQ... he he he... so sorry Winston had to go to the vet, but glad you could get him there... spider bites can be nasty and poor guy could not tell you when it happened.. one of my blog friends had a nasty spider bite last week. way back when i was working, i had the company's only work comp spider bite. it bit me while sitting at my computer... good job on the edit lizard. hope he doesn't live in that cage all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....that was all a planned part on my part...the oinker with the BBQ 'pit'. LOL You're the only one to mention it. GMTA.

      Workman's comp for a spider bite. I would have milked it for all the time I could get off work. I hated data entry when it came so close to retiring. LOL

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Blogger has a lot of nice features and it looks like the featured post is a good one. Its all kind of self service at wordpress so I don't do much to upset things.

    I'm glad your cat is okay. Sounds pretty serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yogi. What I like about Wordpress is the Comment Luv thingie, wishing Blogger had that too.

      Delete
  6. Poor Winston. I'm glad you figured it out and hope he'll be better soon. I think I'll check out that book from the library, it looks good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D J....and yes, if you can find it at the library, do get it to read. I truly think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. OH MY WORD....Winnie we are so very very sorry about your bite. How in the world did that crazy spider find its way through all your lovey Persian furs. I hope the med and cleaning the next few weeks goes smoothly....for all.

    Thank you Anni for the review on Palace walls. All my life I too have been fascinated by the history of the Royals. Princess Di brought them to a new level of understanding and accessibility and Will and Harry continue this. I'll be looking for the book too.

    I must trip the new feature.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both....the English Royal families have been a great part of my history reading.

      Thanks M&M

      Delete
  8. I wish I had more free time in my life because I love coming to your blog ... Did you paint your header? It is just lovely! And thank you, thank you for simplifying the process of the "Featured Post". I had noticed, but hadn't taken the time to figure it out ... now I may just have to do it with your instructions, it seems easy :) Your Lizard is a handsome fellow and your edits shed a different light on his personality ... a little dragon like :0 And finally, I love Captain Oinker and all of your smiles. What a fun way to start my day. Now I have to run to the Vet with Izzi for a shot, which brings me to Winston ... poor little boy. They are so good at masking pain and with the long hair, who would know. You are a good Mom though and I hope he is feeling better. And I second the motion "Thank God for Veterinarians" ( my Granddaughter is in Pre-Vet at the University and she will be an awesome Vet when the time comes). Thanks Anny!

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give Izzi a lovin' hug from me!! Hope all goes well at the Vet's office visit. And speaking of visits...I'm happy to see you stop by Andrea. I know you've been traveling...hope your journey was a good one.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the blog changes that are available. I may try it, but I barely do what I do over and over. Not too tech smart. I know how we get attached to pets so glad everything worked out well for yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LV.
      If you need help, I'm here for you.

      Delete
  10. Your poor sweet cat! I'm so sorry it was bitten...I absolutely am terrified of most spiders. I don't like any insects IN my house and it's so hard to keep them out, especially when you don't like to use chemical sprays, like us. Our daughter when she lived here was a mere mile from us, but her location plus I suppose the way her house was constructed, she got scorpions all the time. One day I lifted the clothes up off the bathroom floor in her house (you know those grandsons! :-) ) and there was one and I squealed. Since I was SITTING at the time, it was awkward! :-) She even had one fall out of a light fixture practically on her head. Nope...I don't do scorpions! I am so happy this has been a pretty "tight" house! I hope your cat gets better quickly.

    LOVE the lizard shots! I have the most difficult time with my camera shooting through a fence or just having something else close to my subject stealing the focus! I know there has to be a way to correct that but I tend to not read instructions...ahem. That brings us to the "Featured Post" part of your post. Thank you for telling us how to use it. I tend to be very SLOW accepting change (I so very much take after my sweet Dad), but this sounds like a fun thing to do and I'm going to give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!!! That scorpion scenario sounds terrifying. I'd be selling my home in no time flat if that happened to me. LOL

      Delete
  11. I think I'll just keep my blog simple and not change or add anything. Good information for others and you explain it well. Poor kitty Winston! We had a cat once who had a dragonfly larvae put in her neck and we had to pop it out like a pimple. Then we had the neck to treat from the hole it left. Good that she was shorthaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you wonder why the dragonfly used your cat for laying eggs.

      Delete
  12. Oh dear ~ Winston is so beautiful ~ glad he is going to be okay ~ lots of distant healing reiki energy hugs ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally cracking up over Captain Oinker. Poor Winston. Hope he's feeling better soon. Why do those things always happen on a weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? What a hoot.
      Thanks Ann

      Delete
  14. Sure hope Winston is doing all right. Usually abscesses are not a big problem, especially if they get some antibiotics. But it sure isn't any fun. The lizard pictures are terrific. Have a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I might look into the feature post.

    Oh poor Winston! I'm an arachaniphobe too. So glad for the vet. My good thoughts and prayers are with you and you fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nani....I'm happy to see you returning to blogland!

      Delete
  16. Awwww I'm so sorry about Winston. Sure glad he is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Feel better soon Mr. Winston, you are a handsome guy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, poor Mr. Winston! Thank goodness you took good care of him :) Lucky boy! The book looks good - I'll keep my eyes open for a copy. Lizards scare me - I mean, look at those eyes....(shivers). Cute blue-jay whirly-gig! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen....those whirly-gigs really spin in the breezes we get here.

      Delete
  19. So glad Winston will be okay
    I really like the Lizard photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poor cat! Cabn spiders bite? I think it is a large spider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure all spiders bite, but to infect an animal...who knows? Your guess is as good as mine.

      Delete
  21. I keep seeing that Google notation, but I have never investigated it. Now, I will have to read about it.That lizard looks to want to be free of the fenced in cage. We all want to be free. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....free!! We're all born free, and have a right to LIVE free. [Seems I've hear that before...the movie, Born Free?]

      Delete
  22. the pig is too cute! the lizard is a good fence model. good luck to winston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. T.....all the way around.

      Delete
  23. Hello, I hope Winston is feeling better now. I like the lizard and the pig. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Eileen!!
      And, thanks.

      Delete
  24. oh no, poor winston! i hope he is feeling much better by now...i got bit by something yesterday while out weedeating, my elbow is swollen and itchy...i would probably freak out if i saw what bit me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya...I know that from experience. Hope your elbow swelling is going down.

      Delete
  25. My brother corrected me and said it wasn't a dragonfly egg in our cat's neck it was a different insect. After research I found it. http://www.thecatclinic.ca/cats-meow.php?post=cuterebra-the-not-so-cute-parasite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwww. viewing this, I don't like the looks of any of it. That's what makes ME think it may have been a food particle causing abscess [me being the 1% left from the 99% observation by the vet]...

      Thanks for the link...it was interesting reading. I learned something today.

      Delete
  26. I have noticed that but haven't had time to explore ot yet.thanks for the tip 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your blog it'd be a great feature!!

      Delete
  27. I'd rather the lizard's be fenced.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad your sweet Winston is improving! And I'd LOVE to meet you at the chew chew! We're having BBQ brisket tonight with corn on the cob! Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your BBQ sounds wonderful. We're having BBQ smoked sausage. Real healthy...ya, right! lol

      Thanks Diane

      Delete
  29. Oh I'm so glad Winston is doing better and you were able to find out the problem. A Spider bite...yikes!
    Nice shot of the fenced lizard, We use to have an Iguana, they are quite something. - Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

.