my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Park

WEST GUTH PARK

This park, with 50+ acres, situated off Up River Road [The Nueces River is nearby], along the Interstate 37 corridor...near the outskirts of Corpus Christi, Texas is one of the nicest parks. It is hilly, giving a walker a good work-out.  AND YES, IT'S QUITE 'BROWN' because of the lack of rainfall once again!!  There is a Senior Center, a swimming pool, a duck pond, many many many picnic areas for the family, a professional 18 whole disc golf course [explained by photos below], playgrounds, tennis courts, covered BBQ pits, paved trails, wide-open grassy knolls, and throughout the year, lots of birds frequent the dense trees of oak, willow, cottonwood and cypress. Spending hours here, just walking and enjoying the outdoors, is easily accomplished.

WEST GUTH PARK DISC GOLF COURSE


    The history of disc golf is closely tied to the history of the recreational flying disc (especially as popularized by the trademarked Frisbee). The first known instance of anyone playing golf with a flying disc occurred in Bladworth, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1926. Ronald Gibson and a group of his Bladworth Elementary School buddies played a game throwing tin plates at targets such as trees and fence posts. They called the game Tin Lid Golf and played on a fairly regular basis on a disc golf course they laid out on their school grounds. But, after they grew older and went their separate ways, the game came to an end. It wasn't until the 1970s that disc golf would be reintroduced to Canadians at the Canadian Open Frisbee Championships in Toronto. Modern disc golf started in the early 1960s, when it seems to have been invented in many places and by many people independently. Students at Rice University in Houston, Texas, for example, held tournaments with trees as targets as early as 1964, and in the early 1960s, players in Pendleton King Park in Augusta, Georgia would toss Frisbees in 50-gallon barrel trash cans designated as targets

...three photos I took of the disc baskets [targets]



THE DUCK POND


As you can see, the ducks and geese [and gulls] are used to being fed bread, food scraps, and popcorn...they followed me about



As of now until Spring of 2017, the Guth Park's swimming pool is being renovated and repaired. So, I didn't walk up the hill to inspect.

UP IN THE SKY

Waling the paved trails, up and down the inclines, through the grassy open fields, there can be some distractions other than the birds and wildlife, and people watching. It's also just below the CCIA [Corpus Christi International Airport] airspace, so there are large commercial planes flying in to land...


I call this one "Wind Beneath My Wings"
Passenger Plane and just below its flight pattern...a Sea Gull!!




PARK GROUNDS






BIRD HAVEN

Of course, my main purpose driving to this park is the birds! Tho, in the Springtime, the different birds seen here can be well-numbered. But in the Summer months it's a woodpecker and Long Billed Curlew refuge!! I have never been here where there are never curlews!! They seem to flock here.  On this day, July 7th, they didn't disappoint me. They were EVERYWHERE I walked!! Singles and couples...





...and while I was sitting at a picnic table in the shade to cool down and drink some icy water from my car's back-seat cooler, I watched a Golden Fronted Woodpecker just beyond my reach!




WATCHING ME WATCHING THEM

While getting on to TOO hot by mid morning, I did an about-face to reach my car. These furry fellows watched me closely...


37 comments :

  1. Wow, you get to see a lot of wildlife on your walks. Great pictures. So nice of you to share your walks with us. Those birds are gorgeous.You have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this whole area is filled with a lot of diverse wildlife.

      Delete
  2. What a nice park and so many wonderful creatures to entertain you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is.
      As for the entertainment...the people are the most entertaining. you have joggers of all walks of life, kids screaming, etc. Well you name it.

      Delete
  3. what a lovely walk you went on. So many fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those curlews. I wonder how they manage with those long beaks. And that picture of the "wind beneath my wings" is a great capture, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those curlews are so unique. I'm overjoyed when I find 'em out and about in our area. Thanks D J

      Delete
  5. Very nice, loved all your photos...especially the ducks and geese. And to stinky hot here in Western NY to take a walk and everything is brown here too....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you got some rain....where my son lives, in Houston, they're gettin' rain. But no....not us. Sufferin' Succotash.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this post. something for everyone.. i had to go check out disc golf in Florida, and we have 5 courses within a 30 mile distance with the closest at 17 miles. never heard of this before. i assume they toss the plates at the chain thingy, not use a golf club...
    i love every single photo today but the two plane photos are amazing, the one with the gull and the one on the right are AMAZING... our park here has everything you named except no disc golf course... so did you walk on Sunday or another day is ok.... love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that disc golf before, but I've watched them...I don't see how they can do so well. I'm sure mine would end up in the trees way off yonder.

      Thanks Sandra

      Delete
  7. Goodness, that one duck has a top-not! LOVE the bird and plane! What a lucky find, once in a million! Disc golf is really big around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're called tufted ducks...not sure tho.

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  8. Thank you for showing me around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Curlews remind me of the Ibis I saw in SC. I do like the wing photo. Too hot here to even think about going outdoors. You sure are one tough lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for going to the store, these days I've been a home body. And going stir crazy. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  10. Looks like our ducks. We keep watching for some young ones but haven't had any luck yet. Don't even know when they normally hatch. We went for our country road ride this morning, just too hot in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than going to the grocery store and mail box, I stay indoors. More power to you going on a country drive!!!

      Delete
  11. Heisann... Thanks a lot for the walk documentation. A wonderful walk. Mine will also include watching docks... and with a golf park near by. The time for walking is regulated for Norwegian time July 24, starting exactly 2 minutes ago, but that does not matter - you can walk on a suitable local time... the point is that we walk almost on the same moment.... I can see that many guests have enjoyed your photos and the information! Nice ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting.

      Delete
  12. I love parks. Our town uses the local fairgrounds as a park.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a really nice park. Tulsa has lots of disc golf parks. Son and I have played a couple times. I could get into it. I am amazed at the people who can make the disks fly a long ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, like I said above, my frisbee would be stuck in a tree somewhere not even close to the course.

      Delete
  14. Hello there Anni! That park is crazy! Curlews and THAT woodpecker! Not a bad bunch of birds to have around the area. I do enjoy birding our parks whenever I get the chance to do so. There are so many surprises that hang out there sometimes! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris...yep, I'm always elated to see the Curlews. As for the parks in the Tucson area....Agua Caliente and Sabino Canyon are a couple of my favorites.

      Delete
  15. I wouldn't mind trying disc golf. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd try it....and embarrass myself totally.

      Delete
  16. Wow! You have certainly photographed well a very beautiful nature place ~

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! these are lovely photos. And the birds seem not to be scared of humans. I guess they see too many around in the park.

    I thought you stopped blogging. Now where did I get that idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....nope I never stopped blogging....just don't blog as often as I used to.

      Delete
  18. Dearest Anni; Wow from me as well !!! All these GORGEOUS photographs of birds and critters♡♡♡ As I had a little trip with airplane, "Wind Beneath My Wings" really gave me warm smile. What a wonderful photo with coincidence♪
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anni. Surrounded by Curlews would be my idea of heaven. How cool to have such a facility to stroll around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni...Maybe I would be better at that kind of golf but I doubt it... All those domestic ducks and geese cab't fly or not very well. I wish they fed them cracked corn as that is not bad like the bread....Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.